TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:41:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fish  (Read 57957 times)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2018, 07:37:10 PM »

Can I just say that the 20,000 capacity at the festival includes the staff, the artists, the crew, the stallholders, the security, as well as all the children, so in fact the maximum attendees is somewhere around 17,000. The festival cannot expand as far as I know due to the understanding they have with the council... Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Wandering Steve

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2018, 07:58:32 PM »

So is this Seasick  Steve bloke now on a par with the Kinks and Mark Knopfler?
Only askin'...

Each to their own I guess but I threw him in the mix as it was a fact that the field was a lot fuller when he played the festival than it was for Brian Wilson,the levellers or fairport this year which would suggest he was a draw for the paying public.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2018, 08:13:35 PM »

I think there may be a touch of writing the hypothesis to fit the results there - a circular fait accomplis ( big names draw big crowds. Seasick Steve got a big crowd. Therefore Seasick Steve is a big name.)

Sorry - it's the scientist in me...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2018, 08:37:52 PM »

The year Seasick Steve played (2011) was also the year of Hayseed Dixie, The Coral, UB40, Badly Drawn Boy and Horslips...none of which (including Seasick Steve) could easily be described as the mega headliners I think you are arguing about to bring in the big crowds. So it is not really necessary to have the mega stars to fill the field. Also as Jude points out the 20000 often quoted is a bit of a red herring in any case.

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2018, 09:00:44 PM »

Er, just wanted to say that Mike and I have decided that we're going next year regardless of the line up which is something we've never said before. The lineup was IMHO poor this year, but we had a fantastic time and loved the music that we heard - The Doonicans in particular made our weekend.

You don't need to know an artist's songs as long as they're entertaining (I didn't know any of Vent du Nord's music but I loved them! Same with the Afro Celts)

The field at all times was fuller than a full thing - it might not have sold out but there were plenty of people on the field having a great time with family and friends and just enjoying the special vibe you only get at Cropredy.

I'm not worried about next year  Smiley

Yep doing the same. I’m going whatever the line-up! Love seeing new bands I don’t know and singing along to old faves. It’s the atmosphere (or vibe as the trendies say - sorry Bridge Grin ) but love it. Already provisionally booked next year’s accommodation (I’m a sickly 57 year old child so don’t do camping) so see you there  Cheesy
I too am 57 and delighted to be called a trendy!!  Cheesy

No offence meant in the slightest - I wish I was trendy enough to be classed as ‘trendy’   Grin if that makes sense
None taken  Kiss

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2018, 09:26:46 PM »

Seasick Steve is a fictional character, invented by Steve Leach. See this Guardian article for details.

So no, he isn't on a par with the Kinks or Mark Knopfler, both of whom would draw in a reasonable crowd. In the last few years the bookers for Cropredy have gone for unexpected artists, of whom Peculiar Clark was the most unusual. Not sure she brought many extra punters in. Alice Cooper, on the other hand...

Personally, for Thursday night I'd love King Crimson to be booked in their 50th year, 2019.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:49:45 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2018, 09:43:04 PM »

Personally, for Thursday night I'd love King Crimson to be booked in their 50th year, 2019.

For me King Crimson would rank as a top level headline act...for others I’m not so sure...but I would love it  Cheesy

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2018, 09:51:49 PM »

For me King Crimson would rank as a top level headline act...for others I’m not so sure...but I would love it  Cheesy
I'd crawl over hot coals to see that   Tongue  Others, though, would crawl over hot coals to get away from them!!

Wandering Steve

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2018, 10:32:11 PM »

I’m not sure they’d be a big crowd puller as a headline act.
A headline act to me is a band that has had mainstream chart success and will play songs that the crowd will know and join in with.
I get that you can get the odd act that performs above itself such as seasick steve but as has been pointed out UB40 were also playing that year and I’d hazard a guess the general festival attendee would know more UB40 songs than those of king crimson due to the fact that one of the two had a number of mainstream chart successes
There is no other barometer to success than tickets purchased.
People either rate the acts highly and attend or decide it’s not for them and spend their money elsewhere.
I’m just merely pointing out that in my 11 years the biggest crowds I’ve seen(not counting the 50th anniversary which was always destined to be massive) were when Alice cooper and madness were headlining.
Imo both put on amazing shows,were proper headliners and the attendance was far bigger as a consequence.
I’m just of the opinion this is not a coincidence.
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2018, 03:59:44 AM »

Whether they were headlining or not, I suggest that King Crimson's presence on the bill would definitely be a draw.
It's time Planty's name was on there somewhere.
Eliza Carthy and the Wayward Band would be fantastic headliners.
Pretty much any of the turns we saw at Fishguard would be welcome - Ange Hardy, Jim Causley, Granny's Attic,  Allan yn y Fan, Pilgrim's Way...
What about Tom Jones?

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2018, 04:02:19 AM »

Sorry to double post - just realised this thread is titled "Fish" .  
Seems to have drifted somewhat off topic, my apologies.  

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2018, 04:30:53 AM »

Fish would have been good at Fishguard...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2018, 09:41:29 AM »

Fish would have been good at Fishguard...
Grin

Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2018, 10:07:59 AM »

Seasick Steve is a fictional character, invented by Steve Leach. See this Guardian article for details.

So no, he isn't on a par with the Kinks or Mark Knopfler, both of whom would draw in a reasonable crowd. In the last few years the bookers for Cropredy have gone for unexpected artists, of whom Peculiar Clark was the most unusual. Not sure she brought many extra punters in . Alice Cooper, on the other hand...

Well, one at least.  Smiley  I'd been thinking of attending, and she tipped me over the edge, just as Brian Wilson did this year. As for Alice Cooper, I attended in spite of him, not because of him, and I found him dull, which I accept puts me in a minority (of one, maybe  Cheesy ).

It must be hard getting a line-up right, with us all simply refusing to like the same things.  Cool  Rammstein and SLF for next years headliners then.

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2018, 10:12:43 AM »

So no, he isn't on a par with the Kinks or Mark Knopfler, both of whom would draw in a reasonable crowd. In the last few years the bookers for Cropredy have gone for unexpected artists, of whom Peculiar Clark was the most unusual. Not sure she brought many extra punters in . Alice Cooper, on the other hand...

Well, one at least.  Smiley  I'd been thinking of attending, and she tipped me over the edge, just as Brian Wilson did this year. As for Alice Cooper, I attended in spite of him, not because of him, and I found him dull, which I accept puts me in a minority (of one, maybe  Cheesy ).

It must be hard getting a line-up right, with us all simply refusing to like the same things.  Cool  Rammstein and SLF for next years headliners then.

SLF? Are you referring to Stiff Little Fingers?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:15:57 PM by Andy » Logged

Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2018, 10:17:51 AM »

SLF? Are you referring to Stiff Little Fingers?

SLF are Stiff Little Fingers, yes.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2018, 10:24:25 AM »

Sorry sort of messed up my previous post re quotes etc but SLF awesome! First saw them way back in 1980. Rank up there as one of my fave punk bands (well back in Inflammable Material days at least)

Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2018, 10:31:47 AM »

Sorry sort of messed up my previous post re quotes etc but SLF awesome! First saw them way back in 1980. Rank up there as one of my fave punk bands (well back in Inflammable Material days at least)

Aye, and they'd sell tickets as well. The fanbase is fairly committed. They are a much bigger draw than (the wonderful) Buzzcocks, the other punks to play Croppers.

Last couple of albums were a return to form. But there could be swearing and there will be politics, probably a step too far for the organisers.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2018, 10:40:22 AM »

Aye, and they'd sell tickets as well. The fanbase is fairly committed. They are a much bigger draw than (the wonderful) Buzzcocks, the other punks to play Croppers.

Last couple of albums were a return to form. But there could be swearing and there will be politics, probably a step too far for the organisers.

Yeah you’re probably right but thanks for the heads up on their last couple of albums. I think I’ll suss them out. Cheers   Smiley

Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2018, 11:07:40 AM »

Yeah you’re probably right but thanks for the heads up on their last couple of albums. I think I’ll suss them out. Cheers   Smiley

Guitar and Drum (2002 I think) and No Going Back (2014 - well, nobody claimed they were prolific) are the last two. They play songs from both in their live show, but the bulk of it is made up from the first three they did. I'm always surprised, and pleased, by all the young 'uns watching them, and they all seem to know the lyrics better than I do too.  Grin  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: