TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:54:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fish  (Read 57963 times)
PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

Looking forward to Cropredy 2024...

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 10:17:41 PM »

Some 'behind' the scenes explanation for non appearance to meet and greet/sign  http://fishmusic.scot/stage-theres-no-place-hide-cropredy-festival/

Thanks for posting that - a very interesting read (despite the distracting changing background!) and a really good insight into what it's like on the other side of the stage.

--
Philip
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 10:18:28 PM »

Hope he's OK wouldn't wish that on anyone. I had a similar incident 30 odd years ago. Fortunately it was just from a Farmer Giles and was in the big white telephone. worrying til it was checked out though.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 10:38:58 PM »

Well I for one like his style of singing and really enjoyed his set.
I didn't really feel one way or the other about his rendition of 'Solo'. I just thought it was in his style.

I'm slightly biased, because over the decades I've met him a few times and he is without doubt a 'good egg'. (eg. Read what he has said in the link above.)

* crop18_020.jpg (342.55 KB, 1111x1052 - viewed 1406 times.)

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 11:53:12 PM »

Poor bloke did seem to have had an accident into his trousers. No wonder his singing was quite crappy.
It seems it was blood then!
Every sympathy!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 06:55:56 AM »

Hope he's OK wouldn't wish that on anyone. I had a similar incident 30 odd years ago. Fortunately it was just from a Farmer Giles and was in the big white telephone. worrying til it was checked out though.

As have I about 30 years or so ago, and that was at a gig playing guitar and singing etc. Spent the last hour or so of a mini indoor festival/party, wandering about with my denim jacket tied around my waist.  I knew what it was as I had suffered for some years. Though following an operation things became more normal.

Driving home that night was not pleasant.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Graham B

Loc: Northamptonshire

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2018, 05:59:29 PM »

From the back half of the field it was difficult to hear Fish's song intros on Friday which was a shame.

The songs sounded great though and the band played well. They seemed to get into a groove more in the second half of the set and I particularly enjoyed "Torch Song" "Going Under" and "Tux On" of the Marillion songs, plus it was good to hear "State of Mind" and "Emperors Song" again from his solo work.

I think splitting up the "Clutching at Straws" album with solo songs rather than playing it straight through from beginning to end worked well. A lot of the audience unfamiliar with Fish or Marillion would have probably appreciated "Kayleigh" and/or "Lavender" but for for me it was a thoroughly enjoyable set.

Fish's rendition of "Solo" sounded pretty good in Fairport's Saturday set too, and his heartfelt intro was really on the button.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 12:15:20 PM »

Therein lies the problem

No Kayleigh or lavender,two of the songs I know.
This wasn’t some sort of marillion fest....
Most of the crowd wouldn’t know any of the songs he sung(you’d have to be a marillion fan)
Fact is I was attending a festival not a marillion gig so as a performer you’d have to be half sharp not to play your biggest hits.
At a marillion concert fair enough but when you’re a guest at a festival NO !!

He wasn’t alone in this the levellers also thought the festival was a levellers gig and left out songs the audience would expect at a festival.

Like the performance or not at leat the beach boys played their hits that’s why despite being ropey it was still enjoyable.
The levellers and fish could learn from this....
Problem is there are too many acts at cropredy turning up and playing piss poor sets that don’t include the songs the paying public expect.
Fairport need to get a grip of this and bin such acts and concentrate on getting in decent artists that will put bums on seats because guess what.....?
Yes
You’ve got it
They play the songs the public who have paid to attend know and love
Madness....brilliant,all the hits,massive crowd.
Alice cooper brilliant,all the hits,massive crowd.

Fish,levellers,
Same old same old only minus the hits(I’ve heard both acts play good sets at cropredy but both were worse than their last appearances,in the levellers case musically adept but a poor show minus hits)
Field half full.

It must be blatantly obvious what’s needed to make the festival successful again but I do wonder if the powers that be are capable of delivering.
Next year will be very important imo as I can see many who attended this year not coming back unless there is a stellar line up.
In fact I’ve spoken to plenty of attendees who spent half their time in the brasenose as they had a few top notch bands.
I’d never seen so many in the brasenose who hadn’t got wristbands on and were just interested in the fringe line up.
Worrying times for the festival if not addressed imo
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 12:26:14 PM »

Make the festival successful again?  Oh please. It was a complete sell out months in advance last year and 16,000 attended this year (there's always a drop the year after an anniversary). If that's failure, then I'm a blue piece of plasticine.

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2018, 12:56:18 PM »

Make the festival successful again?  Oh please. It was a complete sell out months in advance last year and 16,000 attended this year (there's always a drop the year after an anniversary). If that's failure, then I'm a blue piece of plasticine.

Maybe "successful" in more than economic terms though? A question that seems to be asked after this years festival is whether or not it was successful musically? Ok I didn't attend so (some would say) maybe my opinion doesn't count but most years on reading the reports here and elsewhere there is more excitement about the bands, new music found, old music rediscovered etc etc - this year it has all seemed a bit dull, I am sure all who played were at least Ok but it does seem to have lacked a spark.

DW
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »

Therein lies the problem

No Kayleigh or lavender,two of the songs I know.
This wasn’t some sort of marillion fest....
Most of the crowd wouldn’t know any of the songs he sung(you’d have to be a marillion fan)
Fact is I was attending a festival not a marillion gig so as a performer you’d have to be half sharp not to play your biggest hits.
At a marillion concert fair enough but when you’re a guest at a festival NO !!

He wasn’t alone in this the levellers also thought the festival was a levellers gig and left out songs the audience would expect at a festival.

Like the performance or not at leat the beach boys played their hits that’s why despite being ropey it was still enjoyable.
The levellers and fish could learn from this....
Problem is there are too many acts at cropredy turning up and playing piss poor sets that don’t include the songs the paying public expect.
Fairport need to get a grip of this and bin such acts and concentrate on getting in decent artists that will put bums on seats because guess what.....?
Yes
You’ve got it
They play the songs the public who have paid to attend know and love
Madness....brilliant,all the hits,massive crowd.
Alice cooper brilliant,all the hits,massive crowd.

Fish,levellers,
Same old same old only minus the hits(I’ve heard both acts play good sets at cropredy but both were worse than their last appearances,in the levellers case musically adept but a poor show minus hits)
Field half full.

It must be blatantly obvious what’s needed to make the festival successful again but I do wonder if the powers that be are capable of delivering.
Next year will be very important imo as I can see many who attended this year not coming back unless there is a stellar line up.
In fact I’ve spoken to plenty of attendees who spent half their time in the brasenose as they had a few top notch bands.
I’d never seen so many in the brasenose who hadn’t got wristbands on and were just interested in the fringe line up.
Worrying times for the festival if not addressed imo
Er, just wanted to say that Mike and I have decided that we're going next year regardless of the line up which is something we've never said before. The lineup was IMHO poor this year, but we had a fantastic time and loved the music that we heard - The Doonicans in particular made our weekend.

You don't need to know an artist's songs as long as they're entertaining (I didn't know any of Vent du Nord's music but I loved them! Same with the Afro Celts)

The field at all times was fuller than a full thing - it might not have sold out but there were plenty of people on the field having a great time with family and friends and just enjoying the special vibe you only get at Cropredy.

I'm not worried about next year  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »

Maybe "successful" in more than economic terms though? A question that seems to be asked after this years festival is whether or not it was successful musically? Ok I didn't attend so (some would say) maybe my opinion doesn't count but most years on reading the reports here and elsewhere there is more excitement about the bands, new music found, old music rediscovered etc etc - this year it has all seemed a bit dull, I am sure all who played were at least Ok but it does seem to have lacked a spark.

DW
So, when you say "successful", you are defining this as "acts you like"?

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 01:22:17 PM »

Er, just wanted to say that Mike and I have decided that we're going next year regardless of the line up which is something we've never said before. The lineup was IMHO poor this year, but we had a fantastic time and loved the music that we heard - The Doonicans in particular made our weekend.

You don't need to know an artist's songs as long as they're entertaining (I didn't know any of Vent du Nord's music but I loved them! Same with the Afro Celts)

The field at all times was fuller than a full thing - it might not have sold out but there were plenty of people on the field having a great time with family and friends and just enjoying the special vibe you only get at Cropredy.

Yep doing the same. I’m going whatever the line-up! Love seeing new bands I don’t know and singing along to old faves. It’s the atmosphere (or vibe as the trendies say - sorry Bridge Grin ) but love it. Already provisionally booked next year’s accommodation (I’m a sickly 57 year old child so don’t do camping) so see you there  Cheesy

Born to Run (but not very fast)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2018, 01:26:59 PM »

DW

I think you are deliberately misinterpreting my intention here Andy - my point was that there my be ways other than financial / ticket sales of addressing success one of which may be the way people have felt about their experience, what was on offer etc. It seems this year many people have been underwhelmed by that side of things so financially a success (we hope as we want to fest to continue) but in other ways maybe less so.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 02:04:46 PM »

DW

I think you are deliberately misinterpreting my intention here Andy - my point was that there my be ways other than financial / ticket sales of addressing success one of which may be the way people have felt about their experience, what was on offer etc. It seems this year many people have been underwhelmed by that side of things so financially a success (we hope as we want to fest to continue) but in other ways maybe less so.

I might be wrong but I think the weather played a part. "Great" festivals are usually (predominantly) dry. Exceptions, I know, but generally. I expect quite a few people missed a few hours on friday afternoon, and perhaps gid it neck early on the saturday. Don't blame them, and that must affect whether they think of this years festivities as being value for money or not, and how positive they are when talking/writing about it.

Given dry weather I'm sure Midnight Skyracer would have been a huge hit, but as it was the people who saw them liked/loved them, but large numbers were back at their tents. Lots of space for Afro Celts as well, another band who went down well with those who stuck around.

Two of the headliners played low-key sets, for different reasons, Levellers when it was quite cold, and FC when it was quite wet. FC was always going to be a little bit "after the Lord Mayors Show" following last years brilliance, and they seemed to have decided not to really compete.

FWIW I thought the line-up was a good one. And I enjoyed it, but would have enjoyed it slightly more if the weather had remained clement.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 03:53:00 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed Fish’s set and knew everything he played, as did everyone around me at the front. If you are not a fan you are not going to know the songs. Last time Fish was on he did Misplaced Childhood in its entirety, so you got Kayleigh and Lavender.
This year the focus was on Clutching at Straws therefore you didn’t get them.
It reminds me of seeing Lindisfarne a few years ago. They played just about everything anyone could hope for. When they finished I heard someone say “That was rubbish, they only played two songs I knew”. Well, if you only know two songs you will never hear more than two that you know!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 03:58:15 PM »

Yep doing the same. I’m going whatever the line-up! Love seeing new bands I don’t know and singing along to old faves. It’s the atmosphere (or vibe as the trendies say - sorry Bridge Grin ) but love it. Already provisionally booked next year’s accommodation (I’m a sickly 57 year old child so don’t do camping) so see you there  Cheesy
I too am 57 and delighted to be called a trendy!!  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 04:29:31 PM »

I too am 57 and delighted to be called a trendy!!  Cheesy

No offence meant in the slightest - I wish I was trendy enough to be classed as ‘trendy’   Grin if that makes sense

Wandering Steve

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 07:03:21 PM »

DW

No
I was basing success upon the amount of customers present or not as in this case.
The amount of money the festival generates must be of some interest surely.
I’m sure the organisers would like to sell more tickets rather than less.
20,000 attendees= a success(in economic terms as well as delivering a festival line up that many customers attended)
13,000 attendees= not as successful financially and not attracting as many paying customers.

I would say the reason that crowds vary by that amount can only be the line up as that is what gets people through the gate.
As an aside I’m sure stallholders would rather 20,000 attendees rather than 13,000 as I guess,although don’t know for a fact that they pay a flat rate to attend and lower turnover may result in some thinking twice before attending next year.

There will always be bands I like and ones I don’t and after eleven years i understand this.
What I don’t understand is others failure to realise that if you don’t deliver the right headline acts then the attendance is down.
I am willing to bet any forum member £20 which I will give to charity that if a top headline act like madness or Alice cooper is booked for next year the attendance would be greater than this year*

*Im using madness/Alice cooper as an example only as both have played recently.
If anyone on here truly believes that if the likes of Mark knopfler,seasick steve or the kinks headlined we would be looking at 13,000 attendees then they can pay the £20 to charity now!!
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 07:28:17 PM »

So is this Seasick  Steve bloke now on a par with the Kinks and Mark Knopfler?
Only askin'...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 07:31:07 PM »

So is this Seasick  Steve bloke now on a par with the Kinks and Mark Knopfler?
Only askin'...

Not in my eyes!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: