TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:45:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 68   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 176507 times)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #240 on: June 22, 2022, 06:04:34 PM »

Katie Spencer - The Edge of the Land  

Can't get enough of this brilliant album.  She manages to sound both timeless and up to the minute at the same time.  There really isn't a bad moment on the 39 mins and 20 secs, which let's face it is precisely how long all albums should last.

I dont listen to anything that lasts less than 39 minutes.  Grin  Spoke to her briefly at Beardy when Keith had waylaid her in his search for Polly Bolton.  Roll Eyes

Another shout here for Katie Spencer - The Edge Of The Land

Saw Katie down here in Portsmouth a few weeks ago - one of those situations where a friend invites you to a gig and you take a chance on an artist you don't know. She was excellent, pity about the "selective" audience, I'd go and see her again.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #241 on: June 22, 2022, 06:16:05 PM »

That bit in MotL where they hold the beat off for a second or whatever?  Eurgh.  I go to war with it every time I hear it....  It's just so very very wrong.

Oh David, you’re so very wrong! 😉 It’s up there with Prefab Sprout’s “Life’s not complete, ‘til your heart’s missed a — beat”. 😄

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #242 on: June 22, 2022, 06:41:04 PM »

Can't get enough of this brilliant album.  She manages to sound both timeless and up to the minute at the same time.  There really isn't a bad moment on the 39 mins and 20 secs, which let's face it is precisely how long all albums should last.

I dont listen to anything that lasts less than 39 minutes.  Grin  Spoke to her briefly at Beardy when Keith had waylaid her in his search for Polly Bolton.  Roll Eyes

Saw Katie down here in Portsmouth a few weeks ago - one of those situations where a friend invites you to a gig and you take a chance on an artist you don't know. She was excellent, pity about the "selective" audience, I'd go and see her again.

Her fella, Henry Parker is bloody good too...I heard him first actually.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Peter Allen

« Reply #243 on: June 23, 2022, 10:16:22 AM »

Blair Dunlop is a fan of Henry's and Iain Matthews has 2 of Katie's CD's

I like "Edge Of The Land " a lot , but as David says do not underestimate Henry Parker , I think he too has a very bright future , such a good guitar player

Also thought I'd listen to some Roy Harper today not a name you see mentioned on here that often
 "Bullinamingvase"
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #244 on: June 23, 2022, 11:02:54 AM »

Blair Dunlop is a fan of Henry's and Iain Matthews has 2 of Katie's CD's

I like "Edge Of The Land " a lot , but as David says do not underestimate Henry Parker , I think he too has a very bright future , such a good guitar player

Also thought I'd listen to some Roy Harper today not a name you see mentioned on here that often
 "Bullinamingvase"

I bought a copy of Henry's album Lammas Fair having seen it recommended by Katie on her Bandcamp page. Edge... gets a thumbs up from me as well.

I've been listening to a mini-album a friend of mine, Jo Gillot, has just released. It has the title of Untitled (Summer '22).

https://jogillot.bandcamp.com/

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #245 on: June 23, 2022, 11:22:23 AM »

Saw Katie Spencer at the Great British Folk Festival, last November. Not sure whether it was a case of wrong-place-wrong-time but her short set felt like a real slog. There's no doubt she's an excellent guitar player but I wasn't won over by the material, at all.

As I intimated though, festivals are not always the best places to listen to subtle music.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #246 on: June 23, 2022, 11:40:01 AM »

Saw Katie Spencer at the Great British Folk Festival, last November. Not sure whether it was a case of wrong-place-wrong-time but her short set felt like a real slog. There's no doubt she's an excellent guitar player but I wasn't won over by the material, at all.

To get back on topic, I'd strongly urge you to listen to the new album then.  If that's not strong material, I don't know what is.

I've just been listening to Steve Jones talking to Glen Matlock on his Jonesey's Jukebox podcast.  A very entertaining way to spend an hour (although their memories really aren't very good)  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #247 on: June 23, 2022, 01:22:25 PM »

Another long neglected cassette -

EC - Timepieces Vol II  'Live' in the Seventies

Slightly odd choice of title seeing as how most of the tracks were recorded in the early 1980s. I'd forgotten what a good song "If I Don't be There by Morning" is.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #248 on: June 24, 2022, 09:20:53 AM »

Today I have a hankering to listen to Lou Reed, Transformer - an absolute masterpiece and a huge influence on my musical taste. Nothing he did afterwards came close IMHO.

OOo Baby you're so vicious!  Cheesy

Will probably stay in the neighbourhood with Mick Ronson, Heaven and Hull, then move a few blocks down to Trevor Bolder-era Uriah Heep with Innocent Victim, Trevor was a one-time member of Wishbone Ash but no idea which of their albums I'll listen to yet.

'bout time Ash was invited back to Cropredy!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #249 on: June 24, 2022, 09:26:09 AM »

Today I have a hankering to listen to Lou Reed, Transformer - an absolute masterpiece and a huge influence on my musical taste. Nothing he did afterwards came close IMHO.

Will probably stay in the neighbourhood with Mick Ronson, Heaven and Hull, then move a few blocks down to Trevor Bolder-era Uriah Heep with Innocent Victim, Trevor was a one-time member of Wishbone Ash but no idea which of their albums I'll listen to yet.

I like Wishbone Ash a lot, but I thought they were dull as ditchwater in 2007.  Personally, my tastes align much more closely with Martin Turner's version of the band.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #250 on: June 24, 2022, 09:54:34 AM »

I like Wishbone Ash a lot, but I thought they were dull as ditchwater in 2007.  Personally, my tastes align much more closely with Martin Turner's version of the band.
I saw them do an acoustic version of Argus about 6 years ago and it was brilliant.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #251 on: June 24, 2022, 10:16:25 AM »

I saw them do an acoustic version of Argus about 6 years ago and it was brilliant.

Martin's lot?  The Martin Turner re-working of Argus (Argus Through the Looking Glass) is better than the original.  This causes consternation whenever I say it, but it's true  Wink Smiley

garrypbrooks

« Reply #252 on: June 24, 2022, 12:28:54 PM »

[/quote]
I'll be seeing WA do Argus on their October tour, at Dorking. Never seen them before despite their being a fave band of mine back in the 70s.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #253 on: June 24, 2022, 12:59:06 PM »

Martin's lot?  The Martin Turner re-working of Argus (Argus Through the Looking Glass) is better than the original.  This causes consternation whenever I say it, but it's true  Wink Smiley
It was Martins lot, the two guitarists were very good but I'd not heard of them. Spanish or Italian I think.

wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #254 on: June 24, 2022, 01:25:47 PM »

Taken David's advice and spent a few hours this morning given Katie Spencer's music a proper listen. It's confirmed the opinion I formed when I saw her live at the GBFF. Well made, certainly, but not to my taste. To damn it with faint praise, it came across as pleasant background music. Oh well, can't like everything, I suppose.

Bought tickets for next January's GBFF, the other day so I've also been listening to the performers in the line-up, I haven't heard. Adam Beattie, The Mathers Robinson Band and Fred's House have been particularly enjoyable. Looks like I'm going to need a decent CD budget.  Smiley

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #255 on: June 24, 2022, 02:03:35 PM »

It was Martins lot, the two guitarists were very good but I'd not heard of them. Spanish or Italian I think.

No it wasn't.  It was Andy Powell's 'proper' Wishbone Ash

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #256 on: June 24, 2022, 02:05:02 PM »

Taken David's advice and spent a few hours this morning given Katie Spencer's music a proper listen. It's confirmed the opinion I formed when I saw her live at the GBFF. Well made, certainly, but not to my taste. To damn it with faint praise, it came across as pleasant background music. Oh well, can't like everything, I suppose.

Bought tickets for next January's GBFF, the other day so I've also been listening to the performers in the line-up, I haven't heard. Adam Beattie, The Mathers Robinson Band and Fred's House have been particularly enjoyable. Looks like I'm going to need a decent CD budget.  Smiley

In the same way as Sandy Denny is pleasant background music, I'm guessing?

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #257 on: June 24, 2022, 02:47:14 PM »

No it wasn't.  It was Andy Powell's 'proper' Wishbone Ash

Yes it was. I was referring to the acoustic version I saw . If there were 2 other guitarists one couldnt have been Andy Powell !!

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #258 on: June 24, 2022, 02:51:14 PM »

Yes it was. I was referring to the acoustic version I saw . If there were 2 other guitarists one couldnt have been Andy Powell !!

Apologies, Nick.  Misunderstanding...I thought you were referring to the Cropredy appearance.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #259 on: June 24, 2022, 10:26:25 PM »

It's Hard (40th Anniversary Edition) - The Who

On listening to this today I realised that, not only was it the only Who album I didn't own but I had never actually heard it all the way through before. I now recogise that it is both not as bad but also worse than its reputation.

I'm amazed that they thought Athena would make a good single as it is kind of a mess and One At A Time may be the worst (and most excruciating) thing they ever recorded. There are also some production and performance decisions that don't serve the songs well. The revelation is that all of the four bonus tracks are rather good and their use in place of the originally released versions would improve the album immeasurably. The Roger vocal Eminence Front is splendid and stomps all over Pete's demo quality vocal on the original. Conversely the frail quality of Pete's lead on One Life's Enough adds a touching vulnerability that isn't there on the Roger fronted version. The early mix of Cry If You Want is massive improvement over the heavily processed album version. All in all I would reconfigure the album as follows for an improved listening experience.

1. Dangerous (1997 Unedited Mix)
2. Cook's County
3. It's Your Turn
4. It's Hard
5. Eminence Front (Vocal: Roger & Pete)
6. I've Known No War
7. One Life's Enough (Vocal: Pete)
8. Why Did I Fall For That?
9. A Man Is A Man
10. Cry If You Want (Early Alternative Mix)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 68   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: