TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:31:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 186357 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2022, 12:41:52 PM »

Paul McCartney on the occasion of his 80th birthday. I remember when he was sixty four.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2022, 07:10:54 PM »

Paul McCartney on the occasion of his 80th birthday. I remember when he was sixty four.

Likewise. I'm giving the Wingspan compilation a listen. One of the first albums I bought on cassette was Wings Greatest Hits but that tape went the way of so many. I think I've still got the free poster that came with the album but having bought it on tape I had to send off for it.

Have you heard Sean Lennon's cover of "Here, There and Everywhere" which he's recorded for Paul's birthday? It's on FB at - https://www.facebook.com/seanlennon

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #202 on: June 18, 2022, 07:28:06 PM »

Fairport 's Festival Bell album.

The lines in the title track that refer to "all the acts and all the music" being somehow incorporated into the bell sets the neck hairs on end. .. To think that the band, the festival, and in some small way most, if not all of us, could be remembered years from now brings a warmth to my heart. Bravo, Chris Leslie!

Flobbadob!
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2022, 08:22:23 PM »

On a week away from home with no television discovered the excellent Iain Anderson show on Radio Scotland - I apologise for the delay.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2022, 08:44:53 PM »

... the new Mojo CD Break It Up! New York Art, Rock, Poetry and Noise 1956 - 2022 is rather splendid as well.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2022, 07:42:07 AM »

... the new Mojo CD Break It Up! New York Art, Rock, Poetry and Noise 1956 - 2022 is rather splendid as well.

Ooooh.  That sounds rather intriguing.  I'll check that out.  Ta!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #206 on: June 19, 2022, 10:20:32 AM »

Iceberg - Deke Leonard
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #207 on: June 20, 2022, 09:09:47 AM »

Elton John :  Madman Across the Water, Anniversary Edition

(UMC  4LP boxed set).

I could have put this on the Reissues of Interest thread, but as I've been listening to it most of this week,  it's as well here.

This is and has been my favourite EJ album for a long time. It was also one of the first proper pop records I bought, a very long time ago. It shows just what Elton and Bernie were capable of at the beginning of a very long career. It's not perfect, it takes risks, and sometimes those risks only just pay off.  Everyone knows 'Tiny Dancer',  if only from that film.  'Holiday Inn' is equally catchy. The title track and 'Indian Sunset ' still make me catch my breath after all of these years. And you don't often hear string arrangements like you do on this album.

I hesitated buying it, at the £100 +  price, but I'm so glad I did.

BTW, the bonus material is well worth having. Some piano demos and some great BBC stuff, all fine quality.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #208 on: June 20, 2022, 09:25:26 AM »

Just finished listening to Damian Wilson's Limehouse to Lechlade album, which is rather fine, and one I shall be coming back to again, I'm sure.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #209 on: June 20, 2022, 12:34:51 PM »

Back to basics this morning for a relaxing sunny morning in the garden.

Greatest Hits - The Move
A Hard Day's Night - The Beatles
Greatest Hits - Manfred Mann
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #210 on: June 20, 2022, 06:32:56 PM »

I recently purchased what we used to call a music centre back in the day, the main difference with this box being that it has a Bluetooth connection. But it's good to have a functioning tape player again so today I've been listening to the following albums on cassette...

Crosby Stills & Nash - CSN (it's 45 years since it was released)
CSN&Y - So Far
Baker Gurvitz Army - Elysian Encounter

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #211 on: June 20, 2022, 07:13:13 PM »

I recently purchased what we used to call a music centre back in the day, the main difference with this box being that it has a Bluetooth connection. But it's good to have a functioning tape player again so today I've been listening to the following albums on cassette...

CSN&Y - So Far

As a fellow member of the People's Cassette Liberation Army (North Western Brigade), I thoroughly endorse this development.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #212 on: June 20, 2022, 08:14:06 PM »

CSN&Y - So Far

As a fellow member of the People's Cassette Liberation Army (North Western Brigade), I thoroughly endorse this development.
I thought it was The Cassette Liberation Army of the People

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #213 on: June 20, 2022, 08:28:47 PM »

CSN&Y - So Far

I thought it was The Cassette Liberation Army of the People

What have cassettes ever done for us?

Peter Allen

« Reply #214 on: June 20, 2022, 09:56:17 PM »

Cassettes and Music Centres
You'll be telling me there's a vinyl renaissance next with picture discs and coloured vinyl
I'd better dig out Kate Bush's Hounds Of Love LP to get up to date with you youngsters
Stranger things indeed!

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #215 on: June 21, 2022, 02:29:26 PM »

Drama - Yes

Every so often I renew my 45 year long quest to find a Yes album that I like as much as Going For The One (which to date is the only one of their albums that I really enjoy).

I am quite enjoying this one but I am a bit shocked by how much Trevor Horn's vocals are aping John Anderson rather than injecting his own personality. An error of judgement I think. Into The Lens is very good but  then I already knew that from the Buggles' version.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #216 on: June 21, 2022, 03:20:17 PM »

Drama - Yes

Every so often I renew my 45 year long quest to find a Yes album that I like as much as Going For The One (which to date is the only one of their albums that I really enjoy).

I am quite enjoying this one but I am a bit shocked by how much Trevor Horn's vocals are aping John Anderson rather than injecting his own personality. An error of judgement I think. Into The Lens is very good but  then I already knew that from the Buggles' version.

Drama is awful. Tales from Topographic Oceans is the one!   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #217 on: June 21, 2022, 03:22:26 PM »

Drama - Yes

Jules

I heard TFTO some time in the late 70s. I have never felt the need to hear it again.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #218 on: June 21, 2022, 03:38:23 PM »

Drama - Yes

Jules

I heard TFTO some time in the late 70s. I have never felt the need to hear it again.

The Yes Album, then Fragile, then 90125. Smiley I own but never listen to any other Yes. Smiley
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #219 on: June 21, 2022, 03:44:20 PM »

Yes without Jon singing is kind of ridiculous, isn't it?  Or not ridiculous enough?  Or something anyway, but nah...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: