TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:46:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 186302 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #220 on: June 21, 2022, 03:46:47 PM »

Yes without Jon singing is kind of ridiculous, isn't it?  Or not ridiculous enough?  Or something anyway, but nah...

Jon is nearly everything that was good about Yes. Without him, it's a deal breaker.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #221 on: June 21, 2022, 03:48:13 PM »

The Yes Album, then Fragile, then 90125. Smiley I own but never listen to any other Yes. Smiley

Can't go near 90125. It has the dreaded 80s disease.

Jules

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #222 on: June 21, 2022, 03:52:53 PM »

The Yes Album, then Fragile, then 90125. Smiley I own but never listen to any other Yes. Smiley

Jules

I disagree there...I think it's a corking album.  Yes, massively dated now, but one of the few of that era that stands the test of time for me...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #223 on: June 21, 2022, 03:53:53 PM »

Jules

Funnily enough I have just given it a first listen and quite liked it, though I do see where you are coming from

Correctly deployed, I have always enjoyed some of those Trevor Horn kitchen sink productions. I liked the Art of Noise from the moment I heard them and there are elements of their sound on 90125.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #224 on: June 21, 2022, 05:06:14 PM »

Jules

Funnily enough I have just given it a first listen and quite liked it, though I do see where you are coming from

Correctly deployed, I have always enjoyed some of those Trevor Horn kitchen sink productions. I liked the Art of Noise from the moment I heard them and there are elements of their sound on 90125.

Another shout here for 90125 - Alan White (RIP) plays a blinder on it, the sound is diamond hard and the Trevors Horn and Rabin bring a musical cutting edge to the proceedings. I'm slightly biased as Yes are one of my desert island bands - their current output's a bit ropey, but they have enough in the bank to ensure my lifelong devotion.  Grin

As for the Art Of Noise connection, apparently their track Close (To The Edit) is named in homage to Yes epic Close To The Edge, as it uses one of Alan White's discarded drum tracks from the 90125 sessions.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #225 on: June 21, 2022, 05:12:35 PM »

Been listening to Dorothy Ashby the jazz harpist, quite lovely melodic jazz. But considering the contribution of Fred Wess on flute which often has equal prominence on the track, I wonder wether the Harp novelty and female musician at the time was Made more of a selling point. But great music all the same. Definitely more than a jazz novelty.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2022, 05:20:32 PM »

Jules

Another shout here for 90125 - Alan White (RIP) plays a blinder on it, the sound is diamond hard and the Trevors Horn and Rabin bring a musical cutting edge to the proceedings. I'm slightly biased as Yes are one of my desert island bands - their current output's a bit ropey, but they have enough in the bank to ensure my lifelong devotion.  Grin

As for the Art Of Noise connection, apparently their track Close (To The Edit) is named in homage to Yes epic Close To The Edge, as it uses one of Alan White's discarded drum tracks from the 90125 sessions.

Gosh my memory is becoming very fallible. I could have sworn Close (To The Edit) came out much earlier than 1986. I now realise that where I first heard that distinctive Trevor Horn production approach was on Buffalo Gals and the parent album Duck Rock by Malcolm McLaren in 1982. I really loved that single at the time. Still do.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #227 on: June 21, 2022, 05:35:24 PM »

What have cassettes ever done for us?

Made us buy albums twice when the tape got mangled. Those double play tapes were the worst. Buying the White Album on tape was a mistake but I then found it on vinyl with the photos of the four of them plus a lyric sheet so a blessing in disguise, or something. I also bought Sgt Pepper on tape in the early 80s and then got the 20th anniversary release which was one of the first cds I bought.

Back on topic I was listening to Nick Keir's The Edge of Night earlier.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2022, 08:44:15 PM »

What have cassettes ever done for us?

Made us buy albums twice when the tape got mangled. Those double play tapes were the worst. Buying the White Album on tape was a mistake but I then found it on vinyl with the photos of the four of them plus a lyric sheet so a blessing in disguise, or something. I also bought Sgt Pepper on tape in the early 80s and then got the 20th anniversary release which was one of the first cds I bought.

And don't forget roads. And the aquaduct.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2022, 09:23:36 AM »

Drama - Yes

Every so often I renew my 45 year long quest to find a Yes album that I like as much as Going For The One (which to date is the only one of their albums that I really enjoy).

I am quite enjoying this one but I am a bit shocked by how much Trevor Horn's vocals are aping John Anderson rather than injecting his own personality. An error of judgement I think. Into The Lens is very good but  then I already knew that from the Buggles' version.

No disrespect Al, as we all like what we like, but I rather like Drama, even though the vocalist sounds like Jon Anderson, not necessarily in a good way. Drama, I think, is my cut off point with Yes. I like GFTO because Rick Wakeman is on it, though it's a good album anyway.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2022, 10:23:12 AM »

Drama - Yes

Every so often I renew my 45 year long quest to find a Yes album that I like as much as Going For The One (which to date is the only one of their albums that I really enjoy).

I am quite enjoying this one but I am a bit shocked by how much Trevor Horn's vocals are aping John Anderson rather than injecting his own personality. An error of judgement I think. Into The Lens is very good but  then I already knew that from the Buggles' version.

No disrespect Al, as we all like what we like, but I rather like Drama, even though the vocalist sounds like Jon Anderson, not necessarily in a good way. Drama, I think, is my cut off point with Yes. I like GFTO because Rick Wakeman is on it, though it's a good album anyway.

I don't dislike '70s Yes but I rarely have a yearning to listen to anything pre-Drama. Love the Rabin years, in particular.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #231 on: June 22, 2022, 11:39:54 AM »

I don't dislike '70s Yes but I rarely have a yearning to listen to anything pre-Drama. Love the Rabin years, in particular.

I sometimes think that Wayne is a photograph of me that someone took and then printed as a negative image.   Grin

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #232 on: June 22, 2022, 11:57:27 AM »

I sometimes think that Wayne is a photograph of me that someone took and then printed as a negative image.   Grin

Jules

Apropos of nothing, I met someone who said they never listened to any pre-85 Fairport once.  "It wasn't for me" they told me sagely.  We can only conclude that here are many different types of people in this world....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #233 on: June 22, 2022, 12:17:30 PM »

Jules

Grin
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #234 on: June 22, 2022, 01:10:03 PM »

Jules

Apropos of nothing, I met someone who said they never listened to any pre-85 Fairport once.  "It wasn't for me" they told me sagely.  We can only conclude that here are many different types of people in this world....

A number of people have told me they don't listen to any post-85 Fairport.

In particular, this one bloke who told me "I don't like that Rick (sic) Saunders (sic)."  Cheesy Cheesy
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #235 on: June 22, 2022, 03:41:04 PM »

Katie Spencer - The Edge of the Land  

Can't get enough of this brilliant album.  She manages to sound both timeless and up to the minute at the same time.  There really isn't a bad moment on the 39 mins and 20 secs, which let's face it is precisely how long all albums should last.

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #236 on: June 22, 2022, 03:44:55 PM »

Jules

In particular, this one bloke who told me "I don't like that Rick (sic) Saunders (sic)."  Cheesy Cheesy

I think the most recent Fairport album i have is In  Real Time. I'm happy that way.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #237 on: June 22, 2022, 03:47:43 PM »

A lovely day listening to Yes, as prompted by the discussion below (my threads go backwards, I can't change it I'd get confused!  Grin )

I like Drama very much.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2022, 03:51:43 PM »

Jules

I think the most recent Fairport album i have is In  Real Time. I'm happy that way.

That bit in MotL where they hold the beat off for a second or whatever?  Eurgh.  I go to war with it every time I hear it....  It's just so very very wrong.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #239 on: June 22, 2022, 04:35:52 PM »

Katie Spencer - The Edge of the Land  

Can't get enough of this brilliant album.  She manages to sound both timeless and up to the minute at the same time.  There really isn't a bad moment on the 39 mins and 20 secs, which let's face it is precisely how long all albums should last.

I dont listen to anything that lasts less than 39 minutes.  Grin  Spoke to her briefly at Beardy when Keith had waylaid her in his search for Polly Bolton.  Roll Eyes

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: