TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:23:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 189878 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #260 on: June 24, 2022, 11:07:53 PM »

It's Hard (40th Anniversary Edition) - The Who

On listening to this today I realised that, not only was it the only Who album I didn't own but I had never actually heard it all the way through before. I now recogise that it is both not as bad but also worse than its reputation.

I'm amazed that they thought Athena would make a good single as it is kind of a mess and One At A Time may be the worst (and most excruciating) thing they ever recorded. There are also some production and performance decisions that don't serve the songs well. The revelation is that all of the four bonus tracks are rather good and their use in place of the originally released versions would improve the album immeasurably. The Roger vocal Eminence Front is splendid and stomps all over Pete's demo quality vocal on the original. Conversely the frail quality of Pete's lead on One Life's Enough adds a touching vulnerability that isn't there on the Roger fronted version. The early mix of Cry If You Want is massive improvement over the heavily processed album version. All in all I would reconfigure the album as follows for an improved listening experience.

1. Dangerous (1997 Unedited Mix)
2. Cook's County
3. It's Your Turn
4. It's Hard
5. Eminence Front (Vocal: Roger & Pete)
6. I've Known No War
7. One Life's Enough (Vocal: Pete)
8. Why Did I Fall For That?
9. A Man Is A Man
10. Cry If You Want (Early Alternative Mix)

Thanks Gub. Hugely enjoyable and informative write up. 👍

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #261 on: June 25, 2022, 08:18:38 AM »

R J McKenree - Villager

One of those fictional conceits (from the Tom Cox novel Villager), but a really bloody good one.

https://rjmckendree.bandcamp.com/

* FWFGE1AWYAE4tew.jpg (661.68 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 601 times.)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #262 on: June 25, 2022, 08:49:51 AM »

'Wallflower" is indeed excellent. Possibly my favourite 'new' release of the year  Cheesy

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #263 on: June 25, 2022, 10:49:35 AM »

Blair Dunlop is a fan of Henry's and Iain Matthews has 2 of Katie's CD's

I like "Edge Of The Land " a lot , but as David says do not underestimate Henry Parker , I think he too has a very bright future , such a good guitar player

Also thought I'd listen to some Roy Harper today not a name you see mentioned on here that often
 "Bullinamingvase"

I like RH rather a lot,  and haven't played Bullinamingvase for some time.  I think for me, personally,  it's too tied to a particular era, and a time in my life which I dont like to revisit.  Ditto Lifemask, which nevertheless is one of his finest albums, imo.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #264 on: June 25, 2022, 01:47:16 PM »

Thanks Gub. Hugely enjoyable and informative write up. 👍

Seconded.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #265 on: June 25, 2022, 01:50:02 PM »

Also thought I'd listen to some Roy Harper today not a name you see mentioned on here that often
 "Bullinamingvase"

I like RH rather a lot,  and haven't played Bullinamingvase for some time.  I think for me, personally,  it's too tied to a particular era, and a time in my life which I dont like to revisit.  Ditto Lifemask, which nevertheless is one of his finest albums, imo.

I've been playing shed loads of Roy lately, as well as learning to play a few of his songs.  Recently bought the Roy Harper book in the  Every Album, Every Song (On Track) series, which got me well and truly back into him.

Jules

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #266 on: June 26, 2022, 10:53:47 AM »

"Bullinamingvase"

I've been playing shed loads of Roy lately, as well as learning to play a few of his songs.  Recently bought the Roy Harper book in the  Every Album, Every Song (On Track) series, which got me well and truly back into him.

Jules

I dont think there's really a bad RH album out there. Respect to you for trying to pkay his songs.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #267 on: June 26, 2022, 12:12:49 PM »

I dont think there's really a bad RH album out there.

Commercial Breaks
Work of Heart

Jules

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #268 on: June 26, 2022, 05:12:06 PM »

I dont think there's really a bad RH album out there.

Commercial Breaks
Work of Heart

Jules

Commercial Breaks i don't really count as an album.

Work of Heart i like, though its the least Harper ish album he's done.  I took a while to come round to Descendants of Smith, but I really like it now. Loony on the zBus, again, isn't really a proper album, but has its moments.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #269 on: June 26, 2022, 05:41:29 PM »

My favourite discovery from this year's Glastonbury:  Big Thief.  Didn't know them I'm ashamed to say.  Loved their set (available on iPlayer).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #270 on: June 26, 2022, 06:00:54 PM »

Work of Heart i like, though its the least Harper ish album he's done.  I took a while to come round to Descendants of Smith, but I really like it now. Loony on the Bus, again, isn't really a proper album, but has its moments.

I didn't realise that I had to find out what you reckon is a "proper album" before nominating candidates.  Grin

Jules

wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #271 on: June 26, 2022, 07:01:48 PM »

Taken David's advice and spent a few hours this morning given Katie Spencer's music a proper listen. It's confirmed the opinion I formed when I saw her live at the GBFF. Well made, certainly, but not to my taste. To damn it with faint praise, it came across as pleasant background music. Oh well, can't like everything, I suppose.

Bought tickets for next January's GBFF, the other day so I've also been listening to the performers in the line-up, I haven't heard. Adam Beattie, The Mathers Robinson Band and Fred's House have been particularly enjoyable. Looks like I'm going to need a decent CD budget.  Smiley

In the same way as Sandy Denny is pleasant background music, I'm guessing?

I don't mind a little Sandy Denny when I'm in the right mood.  Smiley
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #272 on: June 27, 2022, 09:49:49 AM »

Work of Heart i like, though its the least Harper ish album he's done.  I took a while to come round to Descendants of Smith, but I really like it now. Loony on the Bus, again, isn't really a proper album, but has its moments.

I didn't realise that I had to find out what you reckon is a "proper album" before nominating candidates.  Grin

Jules

Maybe I was being subjective. i did a quick search and learned Commercial Breaks was recorded at the end of the 70s and not released till 1994. So I suppose I wonder what was wrong with it. I do know it has merited  fewer plays than almost any RH album in my collection.  Loony on the Bus, according to Wikipedia, comprises demo tracks, and RH released it to raise money to start his own company.

Bests,

Alan.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #273 on: June 27, 2022, 11:10:18 AM »

Maybe I was being subjective. i did a quick search and learned Commercial Breaks was recorded at the end of the 70s and not released till 1994. So I suppose I wonder what was wrong with it. I do know it has merited  fewer plays than almost any RH album in my collection.  Loony on the Bus, according to Wikipedia, comprises demo tracks, and RH released it to raise money to start his own company.  

Yes, in fact both records comprise many of the same tracks. He was working in sub-par studios with less than stellar material. He sabotaged the release of Commercial Breaks in 1978, but stuck some of it out on the heinous Loony record, as you say, to make some money to finance his next record, before finally allowing the whole record to come out as originally intended.

The best songs on it were rerecorded for The Unknown Soldier.

Jules

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #274 on: June 27, 2022, 01:02:12 PM »

Yes, in fact both records comprise many of the same tracks. He was working in sub-par studios with less than stellar material. He sabotaged the release of Commercial Breaks in 1978, but stuck some of it out on the heinous Loony record, as you say, to make some money to finance his next record, before finally allowing the whole record to come out as originally intended.

The best songs on it were rerecorded for The Unknown Soldier.

Jules

Which is a very good album, imo. I intend to give Commercial Breaks a listen this evening,  to see how good or awful it is 🙂
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #275 on: June 27, 2022, 01:11:22 PM »

I intend to give Commercial Breaks a listen this evening,  to see how good or awful it is 🙂

Expect to be underwhelmed.

Jules

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #276 on: June 29, 2022, 09:33:16 AM »

I intend to give Commercial Breaks a listen this evening,  to see how good or awful it is 🙂

Expect to be underwhelmed.

Jules

Have to admit I was, but only slightly. There's a feeling of demo ness about some of the tracks.  There are however some good moments -  'Cora',  'Flycatcher'.   The booklet notes go onto the genesis of the album at some length.

Also played Al Stewart :  Chronicles  - best of  (EMI LP,  1991).
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #277 on: June 29, 2022, 11:39:15 AM »

There's a feeling of demo ness about some of the tracks.  

Absolutely this.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #278 on: June 30, 2022, 05:20:31 PM »

The new Porcupine Tree.  Didn't expect to like it, but I do.  Lad's come a long way since I saw them in the Penny Theatre, Canterbury in '95.  I only really went to see a member of Japan in the flesh.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #279 on: June 30, 2022, 08:07:00 PM »

The new Porcupine Tree.  Didn't expect to like it, but I do.  Lad's come a long way since I saw them in the Penny Theatre, Canterbury in '95.  I only really went to see a member of Japan in the flesh.
I’m not sure how often our musical tastes coverage David, but I think this time they will  Cheesy

I’m off to download it…

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: