TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:25:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming releases of interest  (Read 139536 times)
Paul B

« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2020, 07:54:44 AM »

Maybe of interest
Tim Hart and Maddy Prior "Heydays:Folk songs and summer Solstice " 2 Cd set (Talking Elephant)
http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=111446

Edit: Could you please say what this is please? Thanks. Paul
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2020, 06:35:34 PM »

Shirley Collins : Heart's Ease.

Her new album, later this year, on Domino.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 06:47:59 PM by Alan2 » Logged
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2020, 07:23:50 PM »

I really want the vinyl of this, but it is £40+ p&p and (unlike the last one) not signed.  It looks the part though.  Hmmmm.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2020, 08:55:06 AM »

I really want the vinyl of this, but it is £40+ p&p and (unlike the last one) not signed.  It looks the part though.  Hmmmm.

Yes, not a cheap item. It looks good though, and you get  a free 7".
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2020, 09:10:45 AM »

Hmmmm  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2020, 12:46:49 PM »

£20 extra and a free single!! This country doesn't half get taken in!     I'll stick with the new ones by Bob (£12 for a double) and Phoebe Bridgers.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2020, 01:34:17 PM »

Guess people will vote with their feet.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2020, 01:45:55 PM »

Which probably means, people like me will grumble about it, then buy it.  In truth, having got lots of nice Shirley vinyl and a fair number of signatures, I think I'll probably stick with the CD, but don't quote me in a court of law on that  Grin

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2020, 01:55:51 PM »

Which probably means, people like me will grumble about it, then buy it.  In truth, having got lots of nice Shirley vinyl and a fair number of signatures, I think I'll probably stick with the CD, but don't quote me in a court of law on that  Grin

I understand your reaction David, but it took me about 10 seconds to make the decision to order it, ignoring the part if me that might say '40 quid ! it's only a record for gods sake'. I ve got quite a bit of SC vinyl too and look forward to adding this. 😎
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2020, 12:39:01 PM »

Cat Stevens  has or is about to, re record Tea for the Tillerman for  50th anniversary release.  I'm not a fan of his particularly   but  I'm curious.  
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2020, 02:43:00 PM »

Cat Stevens  has or is about to, re record Tea for the Tillerman for  50th anniversary release.  I'm not a fan of his particularly   but  I'm curious.  

Why do artists do this(re-recording classic material)?  It is always a bad idea...and yet they seem to stubbornly persist in convincing themselves otherwise.

KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2020, 02:50:52 PM »

Larkin Pie’s new album “Self Made Man” will be coming out this Friday, 12th June.

From what I’ve seen and heard so far it’s going to be another banger.

Imponderable Joy
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2020, 03:23:07 PM »

Larkin Pie’s new album “Self Made Man” will be coming out this Friday, 12th June.

From what I’ve seen and heard so far it’s going to be another banger.

It sounds tasty!
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2020, 05:04:41 PM »

Why do artists do this(re-recording classic material)?  It is always a bad idea...and yet they seem to stubbornly persist in convincing themselves otherwise.

I don't know why they do it. Is it very common? I'm trying to think of artists who've done it.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2020, 06:09:27 PM »

I don't know why they do it. Is it very common? I'm trying to think of artists who've done it.

Obviously Fairport have re-recorded the odd song, and done an album full of them, but never replicated a whole album in the studio (cf. Babbocombe Lee live). The only ones I can think of are both Martin Turner and Wishbone Ash re-recording Argus.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2020, 06:47:13 PM »

Oh, there's bucket loads...just recently, Therapy have re-recorded classic material https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/therapy/greatest-hits-2020-versions

Few more here https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/18/what-makes-musicians-rerecord-old-albums-shins-car-seat-headrest  There's loads more.

I actually nearly mentioned the Martin Turner Argus.  I really rate that.  I think legal/moral reasserting of material is (very nearly) a get out of jail card  Wink

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2020, 07:33:39 PM »

I think it's occasionally done for legal reasons, so the artist can obtain financial rewards by re-recording popular tunes that, by virtue of old contracts, belong to somebody else. Other times, I presume it's done for artistic reasons. Sometimes, both. In 1987, Roy Orbison put out a collection called "In Dreams: The Greatest Hits," featuring very familiar tunes re-recorded in the studio using modern technology. Wikipedia says his original recordings belonged to Monument Records, with which he was involved in a legal dispute at the time. I really love this collection. I prefer this version of "In Dreams" to the original. I have a mid-80s compilation rerecorded by Pure Prairie League, as well, which is sonically superior to their original recordings.

Lately, Taylor Swift has been threatening to go down this path in order to co-opt sales of her catalog titles, which currently belong to her old label, Big Machine.
Paul B

« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2020, 08:06:17 AM »

Dave mason has re-recorded "Alone Together"

https://www.davemasonmusic.com/alone-together-again-album-page
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2020, 09:17:01 AM »

Not whole albums, but Suzanne Vega recorded four albums of acoustic re-recordings (largely - there were a few 'new' songs in there) of her songs, at least partly for control reasons.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2020, 09:28:42 AM »

Obviously Fairport have re-recorded the odd song, and done an album full of them, but never replicated a whole album in the studio (cf. Babbocombe Lee live). The only ones I can think of are both Martin Turner and Wishbone Ash re-recording Argus.

Although Wishbone Ash's was part of a live session with an audience recorded for XM Radio in the States, rather than a studio re-recording. Universal had recently put out the 2CD deluxe version of Argus so a full run through of the album was a regular part of their set at the time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 09:50:27 AM by Col D » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: