TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:13:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming releases of interest  (Read 139534 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2020, 01:27:45 PM »

Intriguing. RT doesn't usually like this stuff coming out and has been known to try and block releases but this is on a legitimate label, Angel Air so does not seem to be a grey market product.

Are they really legit?  That screams 'boot' all over it to me.  They spent at least a fiver on the cover, anyway.  Still, will be interesting to hear...

That was my thought too but yes they are an absolutely legit reissue company of many years standing. For a long time they held the licence to issue Mott The Hoople's Island albums (for example) though this has now reverted back to whoever owns Island (BMG?). They have put out solo work by Verden Allen and Overend Watts. They have an extensive catalogue and unlike grey market labels they have a full website with an online shop and clear contact details including postal address. I own a number of their releases including both British Lions albums and some After The Fire material that was issued in collaboration with Pete Banks from the band (BBC Recordings. Demos for their fourth album. A live album etc).

I do notice that the label has recently changed ownership and has been sold by the (I think) married couple who used to run it.

http://www.angelair.co.uk/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2020, 01:30:14 PM »

Intriguing. RT doesn't usually like this stuff coming out and has been known to try and block releases but this is on a legitimate label, Angel Air so does not seem to be a grey market product.

Are they really legit?  That screams 'boot' all over it to me.  They spent at least a fiver on the cover, anyway.  Still, will be interesting to hear...

That was my thought too but yes they are an absolutely legit reissue company of many years standing. For a long time they held the licence to issue Mott The Hoople's Island albums (for example) though this has now reverted back to whoever owns Island (BMG?). They have put out solo work by Verden Allen and Overend Watts. They have an extensive catalogue and unlike grey market labels they have a full website with an online shop and clear contact details including postal address. I own a number of their releases including both British Lions albums and some After The Fire material that was issued in collaboration with Pete Banks from the band (BBC Recordings. Demos for their fourth album. A live album etc).

I do notice that the label has recently changed ownership and has been sold by the (I think) married couple who used to run it.

http://www.angelair.co.uk/

That's good to know.  Still using their '97 website by the looks of it!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2020, 01:32:01 PM »

Does look interesting...guessing the Gregson & Collister era by the date?

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2020, 01:56:06 PM »

That's good to know.  Still using their '97 website by the looks of it!

I had forgotten that the label also currently has the entire Stackridge back catalogue apart from A Victory For Common Sense along with the Korgis and recent solo studio albums by Andy Davis and James Warren
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2020, 02:35:45 PM »

Interesting.  I was going to say I think I was there, but on second thoughts, I think it was 1988 when I saw him there.  There is another live recording around from that period already https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T3KFDS3/?coliid=I280CBR4GIE2ZZ&colid=35JCWFWXNL9TI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2020, 02:50:39 PM »

Interesting.  I was going to say I think I was there, but on second thoughts, I think it was 1988 when I saw him there.  There is another live recording around from that period already https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T3KFDS3/?coliid=I280CBR4GIE2ZZ&colid=35JCWFWXNL9TI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it.

That one is definitely a grey market release. Real Gone are prime movers in that market. Presumably a recycled radio broadcast.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2020, 03:14:07 PM »

Does look interesting...guessing the Gregson & Collister era by the date?

Clive and Christine plus John Kirkpatrick, Ruari McFarlane and Gerry Conway. It's from a Radio Trent broadcast - Angel Air must have done a licensing deal with whoever owns their archive these days, I don't think they exist any more. They've also put out quite a few other similar titles recently - Graham Parker and the Rumour, Steeleye Span, Gallagher and Lyle, Jimmy Page. There's been an off-air recording of this doing the rounds for some years, it's also the full gig so hopefully they'll do the right thing and not chop it down to a single CD.

Here's the track listing from the broadcast:

A Man in Need, When the Spell is Broken, Two Left Feet, Jennie, Bone Through Her Nose, Calvary Cross, Al Bowlly's in Heaven, White Friar's Hornpipe/Shreds and Patches, You Don't Say, Puppet on a String (snippet), Wall of Death, Fire in the Engine Room, Warm Love Gone Cold, The Angels Took My Racehorse Away, Shoot Out the Lights, Nearly in Love, Tear Stained Letter, Willow Tree/Bean Setting/Shooting, Flying Saucer Rock & Roll, Ghosts In The Wind, Pavanne.

Appalling artwork though, very similar to the Gallagher and Lyle looking at their website.
Col D

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2020, 03:44:38 PM »

That one is definitely a grey market release. Real Gone are prime movers in that market. Presumably a recycled radio broadcast.

Are you sure Al, I thought Real Gone were legit? The two guys that started the label have a decent track record with other reissue companies. I know they also did the Fairport Finland 1971 CD, which I thought had a sniff of grey area about it, but they appear to have a lot of other stuff on their website that clearly isn't.

I've got the CD, it's the gig where the Across a Crowded Room video was filmed. As far as I'm aware there's never been radio broadcast of it. Unlike the video it's the full show, so definitely not just a rip of the audio track. It's pretty decent, although the vocals are a bit burried in the mix at times.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2020, 10:13:18 PM »

Are you sure Al, I thought Real Gone were legit? The two guys that started the label have a decent track record with other reissue companies. I know they also did the Fairport Finland 1971 CD, which I thought had a sniff of grey area about it, but they appear to have a lot of other stuff on their website that clearly isn't.

I've got the CD, it's the gig where the Across a Crowded Room video was filmed. As far as I'm aware there's never been radio broadcast of it. Unlike the video it's the full show, so definitely not just a rip of the audio track. It's pretty decent, although the vocals are a bit burried in the mix at times.

My mistake and apologies. I got them confused with one of the faceless European grey market labels. I forgot that Real Gone also put out the recent Badfinger Warner Bros reissues (though these were not very well received).
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2020, 08:52:18 AM »

I might be interested in this. It  marks the time after which I lost interest in RT, so the tracklist has lots of familiar  (to me) stuff.
Col D

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2020, 09:50:49 AM »

Has anyone seen a confirmed track listing? Angel Air's website isn't showing it yet and neither are Amazon. It's already on various streaming sites but Amazon's version is incomplete with just the 16 track main set but none of the encores and Spotify's is even more truncated with only 11 tracks. I see Christine's Warm Love Gone Cold is shown as The Life and Loves of a She Devil Tune, which would indicate that someone hasn't put in a lot of effort getting the detail right. That and the dreadful artwork make it look like a typical grey area, even if it isn't one. Sounds pretty decent though, although I haven't compared it with my off-air version yet, I'm assuming it's going to be a significant upgrade but I have my doubts.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2020, 09:57:04 AM »

Has anyone seen a confirmed track listing? Angel Air's website isn't showing it yet and neither are Amazon. It's already on various streaming sites but Amazon's version is incomplete with just the 16 track main set but none of the encores and Spotify's is even more truncated with only 11 tracks. I see Christine's Warm Love Gone Cold is shown as The Life and Loves of a She Devil Tune, which would indicate that someone hasn't put in a lot of effort getting the detail right. That and the dreadful artwork make it look like a typical grey area, even if it isn't one. Sounds pretty decent though, although I haven't compared it with my off-air version yet, I'm assuming it's going to be a significant upgrade but I have my doubts.

Nope...16 tracks on Spotify, Col

And, for what it's worth, I think the sound is still pretty bootleggy...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2020, 10:23:12 AM »

Nope...16 tracks on Spotify, Col

And, for what it's worth, I think the sound is still pretty bootleggy...

That's strange, it only had eleven when I looked. So a double CD then, so why not include the encores?
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2020, 01:19:49 PM »

What's that coming over the hill? Why, it's a new, reasonably priced, download only release from Sproatly Smith, Hereford's finest.  Smiley

https://sproatlysmith.bandcamp.com/album/a-trip-of-hares

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2020, 01:57:33 PM »

What's that coming over the hill? Why, it's a new, reasonably priced, download only release from Sproatly Smith, Hereford's finest.  Smiley

Playing as we speak  Smiley

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2020, 05:31:45 PM »

Playing as we speak  Smiley

And a good opportunity for me to fill the gaps in their back catalogue.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2020, 06:06:13 PM »

Thanks Ian. Seems a more than good use of a fiver, but better news of a new release to follow. Made my day!! Cheesy

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2020, 09:45:39 AM »

Big boxset of almost everything Iona have done, with lots of bonus material too: https://www.musicglue.com/iona/products/the-book-of-iona

Me want... but not sure me can afford!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Paul B

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2020, 07:25:48 PM »

Maybe of interest

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=111446

Edit: Could you please say what this is please? Thanks. Paul
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:21:20 PM by Paul » Logged
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2020, 11:33:15 PM »

Did the Clannad box set ship or was it put back?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: