TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:33:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reissues of interest.  (Read 164600 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #360 on: October 23, 2023, 01:20:39 PM »

Finally:

Dave Evans :  Elephantasia  ( Earth Records,  2 formats).

This was scheduled for a vinyl reissue  a few years ago on Rif Mountain  but was inexplicably cancelled.
This time it looks like happening.   I expect it will be pretty good, although word is the LP won't come from the original tapes which are 'lost '.   I don't know how someone can lose something as big and important as a reel to reel tape, but there you go, we hear of it happening.

It was Dave Evans's 2nd album for Village Thing and really is very nice.  RIP Mr. Evans.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #361 on: October 23, 2023, 01:25:21 PM »

Finally:

This was scheduled for a vinyl reissue  a few years ago on Rif Mountain  but was inexplicably cancelled.
This time it looks like happening.   I expect it will be pretty good, although word is the LP won't come from the original tapes which are 'lost '.   I don't know how someone can lose something as big and important as a reel to reel tape, but there you go, we hear of it happening.

It was Dave Evans's 2nd album for Village Thing and really is very nice.  RIP Mr. Evans.
You obviously haven't got a wife that tidies!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #362 on: October 23, 2023, 01:26:32 PM »

Finally:

You obviously haven't got a wife that tidies!!
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #363 on: October 23, 2023, 05:36:07 PM »

Smiley Wink Cheesy Angry
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #364 on: October 27, 2023, 12:26:37 PM »

Incoming:  gigantic boxed reissues of Mott the Hoople  All the Young Dudes  and Donovan: A Gift from a Flower to a Garden.

I love vinyl as some of you will know by now, but I won't be buying either of these.  At £125 and £180 respectively, they won't attract a lot of buyers.
 I might have been interested in the Donovan,  but it would have to be on the other side on £100.  All the Young Dudes I already have in Absolute Analogue's audiophile edition, which I would recommend to anyone interested  in how this album sounded when it came out.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #365 on: October 27, 2023, 12:29:36 PM »

The Beatles' Red and Blue Compilations are being given an extended release next week with extra songs & 36 new stereo mixes.

Details can be found here

« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 12:43:23 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #366 on: October 27, 2023, 12:34:48 PM »

Incoming:  gigantic boxed reissues of Mott the Hoople  All the Young Dudes  and Donovan: A Gift from a Flower to a Garden.

I love vinyl as some of you will know by now, but I won't be buying either of these.  At £125 and £180 respectively, they won't attract a lot of buyers.
 I might have been interested in the Donovan,  but it would have to be on the other side on £100.  All the Young Dudes I already have in Absolute Analogue's audiophile edition, which I would recommend to anyone interested  in how this album sounded when it came out.

I feel the same about AGFAFTAG.  It's a double album in a nice box with a few nice printed things in it (how I loved the complete original I bought for £2 in Alton in about '83).  And ok, he's signed it, but I reckon £100 would have been too much.  £75-85 and I might have gone for it.  But while people keep paying up, people will keep asking...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #367 on: October 27, 2023, 03:45:32 PM »

I feel the same about AGFAFTAG.  It's a double album in a nice box with a few nice printed things in it (how I loved the complete original I bought for £2 in Alton in about '83).  And ok, he's signed it, but I reckon £100 would have been too much.  £75-85 and I might have gone for it.  But while people keep paying up, people will keep asking...

Ditto the  Pete Frampton 3LP boxed set.  I'm sure they  sound great,  but £185 is too much.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #368 on: October 27, 2023, 04:03:18 PM »

The Beatles' Red and Blue Compilations are being given an extended release next week with extra songs & 36 new stereo mixes.

I might even buy one.  Never bought or owned any Beatles.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #369 on: October 27, 2023, 05:18:42 PM »

That's almost impressive...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #370 on: October 27, 2023, 05:23:15 PM »

Donovan often charges a lot more for signed items.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #371 on: October 28, 2023, 10:14:02 AM »

I'm not sure if they count,  but I have 3 John Lennon albums in my collection.   I like John's solo work, though he's inconsistent  as a writer, I find.
But yes, no Beatles, a Beatles free existence.  The records are out there, almost part of the atmosphere, and I've definitely heard Magical Mystery Tour and Sergeant Pepper in their entirety, many years ago and in a seriously altered state, on one occasion.  So if I go for one of these compilations it would be the latter of the 2.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #372 on: October 28, 2023, 07:09:17 PM »

I'm not sure if they count,  but I have 3 John Lennon albums in my collection.   I like John's solo work, though he's inconsistent  as a writer, I find.
But yes, no Beatles, a Beatles free existence.  The records are out there, almost part of the atmosphere, and I've definitely heard Magical Mystery Tour and Sergeant Pepper in their entirety, many years ago and in a seriously altered state, on one occasion.  So if I go for one of these compilations it would be the latter of the 2.

Unless you've spent your time since 1962 atoning for the sins of the universe in a  remote cave, untroubled by the world and it's wicked ways, you will know that The Beatles are part of the DNA of everybody and everything..  You don't need to own any of their output and they don't need the money.  
 When we finally leave this planet and return to our natural state, the kids will curse us as they make umpteen trips to the tip with all those physical items we thought precious.

The Dude abides
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #373 on: October 29, 2023, 10:59:18 AM »

Unless you've spent your time since 1962 atoning for the sins of the universe in a  remote cave, untroubled by the world and it's wicked ways, you will know that The Beatles are part of the DNA of everybody and everything..  You don't need to own any of their output and they don't need the money.  
 When we finally leave this planet and return to our natural state, the kids will curse us as they make umpteen trips to the tip with all those physical items we thought precious.

Absolutely.  The Beatles are like the air,  a common treasury for all
The time for buying them is long  gone.  It stays in my mind that 30 years ago someone pointed out that Beatles albums in the relatively new CD format were not going down in price, ever.  Other albums drop in price as they become part  of the massive ocean of back catalogue.   Beatles stuff is repackaged and resold to us and always at a premium price. I'll try to buy something from a new band instead,  just to encourage  them.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #374 on: October 29, 2023, 11:55:17 AM »

The time for buying them is long gone.

Thinks of a way to say "b*****ks" politely.

Nope, I give up.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #375 on: November 11, 2023, 11:30:20 AM »

Spriguns of Tolgus  :  Jack with a Feather  (Guerssen  LP, 2023).

If only more reissues were like this.  Mastered from the  original tapes,  excellent  pressing,  beautiful and strong cardboard sleeve with an informative insert.

Universal's  Fairport reissues are a disgrace,  by comparison.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: