TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:57:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thursday headliner 2019?  (Read 132446 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 12:06:43 PM »

Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls please.
At that time all those offended by the occasional swearword should be nicely tucked up in bed.
On that basis can we have The Prodigy please? Such nice lads....

For a bit of fun and dancing I'll vote for Jools Holland and band.  Saw them earlier this year in Perth  - relatively small theatre so good close up and they fill bigger venues regularly.  They would definetely be a draw as well as a good fun act.  
We've had them already!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 01:39:18 PM »

Having missed out on tickets for the upcoming dates, I'd appreciate Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 03:16:11 PM »

Having missed out on tickets for the upcoming dates, I'd appreciate Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets.  Smiley
Oh yes!!!!

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2018, 04:12:32 PM »

For a bit of fun and dancing I'll vote for Jools Holland and band.  Saw them earlier this year in Perth  - relatively small theatre so good close up and they fill bigger venues regularly.  They would definetely be a draw as well as a good fun act.  
Interviewed by Whispering Bob for Sky, Jools and especially Lulu were somewhat snotty and ignorant about Cropredy when they came before.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 06:15:16 PM »

The Specials might be a goer. Although the originals are now down to 3, Terry Hall, Lynval Golding and Sir Horace Gentleman, with replacements for the deceased and missing members they are still a good night out.

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2018, 06:30:55 PM »

ELO are (currently, perhaps surprisingly) a Wembley Stadium (and Madison Square Gardens) selling out band charging 60 odd quid + a pop.  They are surely well outside the bounds of possibility for a Thursday night headliner at Cropredy?
Alice Cooper played Cropredy in 2013 and tickets currently cost much the same price for much the same audience size.

I might have been missing something, but I've not seen Alice selling out stadiums in the UK recently?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2018, 06:50:38 PM »

What about Aha? Some good memories and  singalong tunes.

Saw AHA earlier this year in Yeovil they were bloody awful and we left early. No interaction with the audience at all, deffo not a Cropredy band IMHO

I was about to recall yours and someone else's (was it Gub?) recent gig reviews.  Besides which, they only really had one hit, and they're *very* electropop.

Jules

Ah well, outnumbered.....shame, as I saw them being interviewed and they seemed quite fun...must now ‘fess up...wasn’t too bothered about the music really...just wanted to gaze at Morten on the big screen for old times’ sake   Smiley

Agree...Mark Knopfler would just be amazing.
John747

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2018, 07:58:56 PM »

Oh yes!!!!

Saw them in Antwerp at the weekend. Absolutely amazing!
vince42

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2018, 08:44:15 PM »

Quote from: vince42 on Today at 12:03:55 PM

We've had them already!

Dammit  - showing myself up as a newbie Roll Eyes  I take it this was a few years ago?  

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2018, 08:45:21 PM »

We've had them already!

Dammit  - showing myself up as a newbie Roll Eyes  I take it this was a few years ago?  

Not that long ago...think it was with Lulu, so I left early as not a fan of either.......just checked, cripes, it was 2007!
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2018, 08:48:19 PM »

We've had them already!

Not that long ago...think it was with Lulu, so I left early as not a fan.

2007 - our first visit. We enjoyed them but quite frankly we were determined to enjoy the whole thing!

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2018, 08:53:29 PM »

Yes, I had just modified to add the date, having checked.

Paul Young? I saw him years ago, he has some lovely songs to sing along to.....oh, go on! Sorry, I am not really into ‘80s pop, but it fits the Thursday headliner singalong bill and brings back memories of teenage angst etc... to remind us how great life is now we are getting on a bit  Grin
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2018, 09:09:32 PM »

Paul Young?

His voice is shot.  And being as how that was the whole point of him....

80s stuff though?  As Scott Miller, himself an 80s music artist, wrote: "Eighties nostalgia has lowered my opinion of nostalgia."

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2018, 09:25:16 PM »

I'm happy with some 80s stuff but Paul Young is dire these days.

I'm raising all yours with Mr George Thorogood. One of the best live acts I've ever seen and would have everyone boogieing daaan.   Cop a load of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VsoxT_FUY

Mr Bridgwit has asked for Lonestar but doesn't mind when during the weekend  Smiley  

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2018, 09:38:32 PM »

Paul Young?

His voice is shot.  And being as how that was the whole point of him....

80s stuff though?  As Scott Miller, himself an 80s music artist, wrote: "Eighties nostalgia has lowered my opinion of nostalgia."

Jules

Fair enough! I will try to find summat decent to recommend now... Grin
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2018, 07:50:10 AM »

The Thursday night headliner seems to be becoming the main draw of the festival. I.e a band that will pull an audience outside the dwindling Fairport Audience. ( that's not a criticism, the Fairport audience is just ageing). So do you need a band that may cost a few bob but may also make the festival financially viable?
I was lucky enough to see Free at Man uni, 71 I think,when they were stunning and Rogers was just the classic great front man but I can't see him bringing those extra punters that Thursday demands. Chic is a good call ( not for me but it would do what it says on the tin) but let's go outside the box people . Kylie
anyone? Manics? Gaga? Kravitz? Kasabian?

Nothing to do with Thursday headliner but I would love to see Darlingside on next yrs lineup!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 08:10:46 AM by hendo (Dave) » Logged
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2018, 08:49:49 AM »

Howabout ZZ Top as a headliner - great band, singalong hits, big enough but not TOO big?

DW
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2018, 09:54:59 AM »

Howabout ZZ Top as a headliner - great band, singalong hits, big enough but not TOO big?

Yeah, but you have to factor in a transatlantic flight.  Unless they're already over here, that would be prohibitive.  Mid-level American acts are touring Europe less and less these days.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2018, 11:18:31 AM »

I'm raising all yours with Mr George Thorogood. One of the best live acts I've ever seen and would have everyone boogieing daaan.   Cop a load of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VsoxT_FUY

Mr Bridgwit has asked for Lonestar but doesn't mind when during the weekend  Smiley  

Do you mean the country rock band ?
For a minute I thought you meant Lone Star, the band featuring Cardiff born Paul 'Tonka' Chapman, later of UFO, and for the second album, John Sloman, later of Uriah Heep. I guess that won't happen.

George Thorogood....well I'd love that, even if the rest of the audience wouldn't. I used to sing one of his tunes...'Haircut', with my band, and if I got to see him do 'Gearjammer' live, I'd probably pee myself and not be ashamed. (Note to all...NEVER listen to Gearjammer while driving - blue flashing lights in the rear view mirror are almost certain.)  

Well I never did..
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2018, 11:27:02 AM »

Do you mean the country rock band ?
For a minute I thought you meant Lone Star, the band featuring Cardiff born Paul 'Tonka' Chapman, later of UFO, and for the second album, John Sloman, later of Uriah Heep. I guess that won't happen.

George Thorogood....well I'd love that, even if the rest of the audience wouldn't. I used to sing one of his tunes...'Haircut', with my band, and if I got to see him do 'Gearjammer' live, I'd probably pee myself and not be ashamed. (Note to all...NEVER listen to Gearjammer while driving - blue flashing lights in the rear view mirror are almost certain.)  
Yes the country rock band. He was playing them in the car the other day and we said, in unison, " these would be great at Cropredy!" and so they would!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: