TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:29:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thursday headliner 2019?  (Read 132399 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2018, 08:44:36 PM »

What about The Stranglers? There is an old RT link there with Hugh Cornwell and a load of hits  we could all sing along to?

You do realise Hugh left the Stranglers in 1990? The band themselves still give good gig, even down to 2 as they now are (80 year old Jet's back having given up)....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2018, 08:53:19 PM »

What about The Stranglers? There is an old RT link there with Hugh Cornwell and a load of hits  we could all sing along to?

You do realise Hugh left the Stranglers in 1990? The band themselves still give good gig, even down to 2 as they now are (80 year old Jet's back having given up)....

Yes, I just added that he left, having looked it up, as it suddenly occurred to me that they probably aren’t in the original form. Have you seen them?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2018, 08:56:12 PM »

Yes, I just added that he left, having looked it up, as it suddenly occurred to je that they probably aren’t in the original form. Have you seen them?

I saw them about 10 years ago...they were fun...high energy.  I've seen Hugh twice...once acoustic and once acoustic and electric sets.  He seems a bit 'precious'...but the electric gig included a few Stranglers tunes...but not many.  It was all a bit earnest.  Only time I saw the Stranglers in their prime was Reading '83... now, that was fun.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2018, 09:48:38 PM »

Paul Rodgers playing Free and Bad Company.

That's a good call, I'd humbly suggest.  Can he play a couple of Firm tracks and get Jimmy up on stage as well?

Paul Rodgers' current Free Spirit Band is Deborah Bonham's band (minus Deborah) who have played Cropredy in 2002 and 2006, so not entirely outside the realms of possibility - they'd just have to persuade Mr Rodgers to come for the ride...
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2018, 10:19:29 PM »

What about The Stranglers? There is an old RT link there with Hugh Cornwell ( though I see he hasn’t been with them for ages, now) and a load of hits  we could all sing along to?

I was once phoned by Hugh Cornwell's agent, which gave me an unexpected chance to express my opinion. The agent said that happens a lot.

This is a really difficult question. An artist is needed who will sell tickets, please the old irascibles and not cost the earth. The best suggestion so far is ELO. I think there are shortcomings, but it ticks the boxes.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2018, 10:49:59 PM »

Saw ELO at Wembley, and they were amazing, one of the best gigs I have ever seen.

I would love to see Nile Rogers.

Paul

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2018, 11:14:46 PM »

What about Madness?  Have they ever played Croppers?  I'm thinking they maybe have.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2018, 11:16:30 PM »

What about The Stranglers? There is an old RT link there with Hugh Cornwell ( though I see he hasn’t been with them for ages, now) and a load of hits  we could all sing along to?

I was once phoned by Hugh Cornwell's agent, which gave me an unexpected chance to express my opinion. The agent said that happens a lot.

This is a really difficult question. An artist is needed who will sell tickets, please the old irascibles and not cost the earth. The best suggestion so far is ELO. I think there are shortcomings, but it ticks the boxes.

It's a pipe dream, it's far too ambitious.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2018, 11:22:16 PM »

What about Madness?  Have they ever played Croppers?  I'm thinking they maybe have.

Jules

Almost certain they have and don't think it was a joyous performance but I wasn't there.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 12:22:22 AM »

Jules

Almost certain they have and don't think it was a joyous performance but I wasn't there.

IMHO they dialled it in.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2018, 06:44:12 AM »

ELO are (currently, perhaps surprisingly) a Wembley Stadium (and Madison Square Gardens) selling out band charging 60 odd quid + a pop.  They are surely well outside the bounds of possibility for a Thursday night headliner at Cropredy?

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2018, 06:55:58 AM »

Jules

Yes they played in 2016. I can’t remember how they interacted, as I was up the field, but enjoyed singing along.

What about Aha? Some good memories and  singalong tunes.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:24:28 AM by Lubiloo (Lorna) » Logged
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2018, 08:28:12 AM »

ELO are (currently, perhaps surprisingly) a Wembley Stadium (and Madison Square Gardens) selling out band charging 60 odd quid + a pop.  They are surely well outside the bounds of possibility for a Thursday night headliner at Cropredy?
Alice Cooper played Cropredy in 2013 and tickets currently cost much the same price for much the same audience size.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2018, 09:55:40 AM »

Been looking to see big names touring at around the time of Crop ‘19. Not that easy.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2018, 10:45:21 AM »

Jules

Yes they played in 2016. I can’t remember how they interacted, as I was up the field, but enjoyed singing along.

Saw AHA earlier this year in Yeovil they were bloody awful and we left early. No interaction with the audience at all, deffo not a Cropredy band IMHO

My vote would be for ELO - I V+'d the Hyde Park concert and watch it regularly. He has a great band and he'd have everyone singing along.
I'd also love to see Paul Rodgers playing Free & Bad Company stuff but the younger people might not get it.

Everyone else I want is for selfish reasons and wouldn't appeal to enough people (Steven Wilson, Steve Hackett, King Crimson)

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2018, 11:00:17 AM »

Saw AHA earlier this year in Yeovil they were bloody awful and we left early. No interaction with the audience at all, deffo not a Cropredy band IMHO

I was about to recall yours and someone else's (was it Gub?) recent gig reviews.  Besides which, they only really had one hit, and they're *very* electropop.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2018, 11:04:20 AM »

Jeff Lynne or Mark Knopfler would be amazing.  From the little I saw of Chic on the telly on New Year's Eve, that would probably be a fun singalong too.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »

Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls please.
At that time all those offended by the occasional swearword should be nicely tucked up in bed.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2018, 11:21:50 AM »

I saw them about 10 years ago...they were fun...high energy.  I've seen Hugh twice...once acoustic and once acoustic and electric sets.  He seems a bit 'precious'...but the electric gig included a few Stranglers tunes...but not many.  It was all a bit earnest.  Only time I saw the Stranglers in their prime was Reading '83... now, that was fun.

Hugh is more relaxed about playing Stranglers' songs these days. His autumn tour is being billed as Set 1 - solo material, Set 2 - Stranglers. I find he's much better with a band than when he plays solo. Not sure about him playing Cropredy but I'd love to see him on stage with RT. I read that they bumped into each other at a festival a number of years back having not seen each other in decades and started chatting as if they'd met just the week before. Nice when that happens.

I haven't seen the latest line-up of the Stranglers. The last time I saw them they still had Paul Roberts singing with them which was a while ago now.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
vince42

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2018, 12:03:55 PM »

For a bit of fun and dancing I'll vote for Jools Holland and band.  Saw them earlier this year in Perth  - relatively small theatre so good close up and they fill bigger venues regularly.  They would definetely be a draw as well as a good fun act.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: