TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:46:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Levellers  (Read 34287 times)
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 08:16:39 PM »

I've seen them play acoustic before and it was nothing like that tosh. The guy sitting next to me said that wasn't The Levellers and my camping neighbour, a big Levellers fan, called it pretentious twaddle.

Was there anything you liked this year Nick?
richardkendell

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 08:21:34 PM »

I've seen them play acoustic before and it was nothing like that tosh. The guy sitting next to me said that wasn't The Levellers and my camping neighbour, a big Levellers fan, called it pretentious twaddle.

Well he liked Al Stewart and is clearly a man with great taste.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »

Utter self-indulgence and tosh. What I expect from headliners is headline music. This was mostly lift music and that despite some fabulous musicians on the stage.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
spooley (Simon)

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 08:50:13 PM »

I remember De Danaan sitting down and I think John Martyn but any other headliners.

I think John Martyn had a pretty good excuse for sitting down ... wasn't he just about to have a leg amputated?
That performance (his music, not the amputation) remains one of my great Cropredy memories.
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2018, 08:53:37 PM »

From Matt Savage on Facebook

"Thanks everyone for your kind words.
For everyone else I would like to add that we originally planned to do a full electric set but
Jeremy (our bass player) couldn’t play this particular evening, for health reasons, so we agreed a solution that meant we could still play at cropredy instead of cancelling the show.
We did the best we could under difficult circumstances and I’m sorry some of you didn’t enjoy it and feel the need to air your discontent so publicly without knowing the full facts.
I’m hoping you all had a good time at cropredy and the sun shone for you all.
Hats off to fairport and all the team for making people happy for all these years.
Much love x"

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 08:55:26 PM »

For everyone else I would like to add that we originally planned to do a full electric set but
Jeremy (our bass player) couldn’t play this particular evening, for health reasons, so we agreed a solution that meant we could still play at cropredy instead of cancelling the show.
We did the best we could under difficult circumstances and I’m sorry some of you didn’t enjoy it and feel the need to air your discontent so publicly without knowing the full facts.
Hats off to fairport and all the team for making people happy for all these years.
Much love x"
People can know the full facts and still be disappointed.

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2018, 08:58:39 PM »

Much love x"

Did Jez become ill suddenly? If it was known earlier maybe we could have had an announcement somewhere (online or otherwise) that the group would be playing an acoustic set then at least we would have been a bit more prepared and maybe a bit more appreciative

Born to Run (but not very fast)
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2018, 08:58:52 PM »

I really enjoyed the set - a different take on their tunes.

(Some people should be ashamed of themselves for being so rude)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:10:55 PM by delfini (Diane) » Logged

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2018, 09:02:50 PM »

Is the Levellers music so complicated a proficient dep bassist couldn't be found?

DW
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2018, 09:03:33 PM »

Is the Levellers music so complicated a proficient dep bassist couldn't be found?

DW
There were quite a few decent ones around, backstage.

richardkendell

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2018, 09:04:04 PM »

Much love x"

Isn't it down to the group to make known the facts?
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2018, 09:07:52 PM »

I think even if I'd known the facts, I still wouldn't have enjoyed the set much. I prefer the set at BD, when it is just the band without those strings.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2018, 09:15:42 PM »

I'm not especially a fan but the part of the set that was broadcast on Radio Oxford was rather lovely. If it was all like that, I might be interested in investigating the recent album which I believe is all in this style?
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2018, 09:25:30 PM »

I'm not especially a fan but the part of the set that was broadcast on Radio Oxford was rather lovely. If it was all like that, I might be interested in investigating the recent album which I believe is all in this style?

Al - yes, it's all that style. It is a great record- took me a few listens, but some excellent stuff on there.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2018, 09:36:00 PM »

Not a good year but I loved Oysterband , Brian Wilson, Travelling Band , Al Stewart, Sam Kelly and Merry Hell. Will that do ya?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Tom64

Loc: Munich

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2018, 11:02:25 PM »

As someone who never really heard the Levellers or knows much about them I really liked what I heard.
I am all for bands trying out new things. And for me what I heard worked well.

I don‘t dance though so maybe that‘s why....

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »

I think that the acoustic style did suck the energy out of some of the songs at the beginning of the set, but it improved as it went on, IMHO.  I'm not a huge fan of the Levellers, so I enjoyed hearing some of the songs in this style rather than full volume when you can't hear the words.  But given the weather, some jumping around might have been welcome too!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2018, 07:12:26 PM »

I have seen the Levellers loads of times, and loved them. Even when the played the Bluebell Railway in their acoustic incarnation, they still had energy. This set lacked energy. Musically it was brilliant, and I would have enjoyed it in a concert hall, but I wanted to bounce. I accept it was inevitable due to illness, but I was disappointed.

Paul

Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2018, 01:43:17 PM »

I have seen the Levellers loads of times, and loved them. Even when the played the Bluebell Railway in their acoustic incarnation, they still had energy. This set lacked energy. Musically it was brilliant, and I would have enjoyed it in a concert hall, but I wanted to bounce. I accept it was inevitable due to illness, but I was disappointed.

Paul

What he said!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Danny_C

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2018, 02:06:01 PM »

I try and see the Levellers at least once a year and saw them perform this set at Bexhill a few weeks ago, I was I admit somewhat surprised when I saw them setting out the chairs and then performing the acoustic set as I was expecting, as indeed were many other a full fat festival set.

On the plus side the performance here was better than a few weeks ago, that was the last gig they performed at before Crop, as it now appears illness hit them and caused them to cancel the remainder of the planned performances.  I think its worthy of note that they felt strongly enough about Cropredy that they came and performed the set they did.

Personally I think the acoustic material is really strong and the album is well worth purchasing.

On the negative side I would tend to agree that the accepted line up and perform ace would have gone down much better on what was a increasingly chilly evening, and I think they would agree with that assessment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: