TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:03:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Levellers  (Read 34276 times)
NickNickNick (Nick)
n3wb

Loc: Bristol

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2018, 03:28:51 PM »

I was looking forward to seeing them play electric as it was only my second time seeing them but they did a very decent job playing acoustic - my only objection was that their set missed a few of what I would say are their classic songs! Unless I didn't recognise them in the different style...
musketeer john

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2018, 10:29:49 AM »

Well, we're obviously in a minority here, and also in the back half of a rather cross field. Yes, we wanted to jump around. Yes, I wanted nostalgia for Glastonbury '94. But this is the set that has stuck with me the most from this year's festival. Elegiac and powerful, seen in the context of much tragedy in the band this year, and supremely crafted. Levellers songs were revealed as quietly transcendent - and the Collective album has been in constant rotation in this house ever since. Yes, next time I want them to leap about - but this honed and transcendentally intense performance was the only appropriate show for them this year. Haunting. And it worked for us!
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2018, 03:44:29 PM »

For me it was like pouring Ice into an already very cold drink.

Its the energy and anger that made the Levellers one of my favorite bands ,"one way of life" played by a chamber orchestra was just very dull and insipid. I am sure it was all very clever and very nice.

Never did I think I would ever describe a levellers festival performance as clever and nice, that was more of a parody than anything the Bar Stewards did , the difference was that it was not funny, or fun.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2018, 10:47:29 PM »

I’ve seen the Levs a few times and enjoyed their energy.
This time I enjoyed the totally different take on their songs.
Respect - especially considering what the band has been through recently.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »

Does anyone know what’s happening with Jeremy?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: