TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:42:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Levellers  (Read 34283 times)
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« on: August 12, 2018, 01:50:12 PM »

I'm a huge fan, but was disappointed. Too low key for a headline set, not saying they didn't do what they did very well, just think it was the wrong time. Mid afternoon I'm sure it would have been great, well, very good anyhow. Not as much fun, in my opinion, as the acoustic sets they do at BD to open the festival.

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 02:05:51 PM »

I'm a huge fan, but was disappointed. Too low key for a headline set, not saying they didn't do what they did very well, just think it was the wrong time. Mid afternoon I'm sure it would have been great, well, very good anyhow. Not as much fun, in my opinion, as the acoustic sets they do at BD to open the festival.

Totally agree. Feared they would do the ‘We The Collective’ format but, as a headliner, would’ve preferred the more upbeat style especially as we were so cold we needed something a bit more livelier to jump up and down to (I won’t call it dancing as that would contravene trade descriptions). Spoke to a number of people on Saturday who also expressed similar disappointment.

Born to Run (but not very fast)
richardkendell

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 02:10:54 PM »

Well I had no problems with the slot. I have seen them 3 times and not been struck on any occasion. I didn't repeat my past mistakes. I went to bed when they started and slept through it all very well.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 03:14:41 PM »

Bloody awful, and disappointing as I was expecting more.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Steve.Marlow
n3wb

Loc: Northamptonshire

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 04:33:38 PM »

Very disappointed with the Levellers. I'm not disrespecting their musicianship, but the time and place for this acoustic set was not headlining on Thursday at Cropredy!

Steve Marlow 🎻
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 04:46:49 PM »

I'm not being deliberately provocative, but if I knew they were playing an acoustic set (and I'm not a particular fan - although I have enjoyed them at Croppers in the past - and I had no intention of being there), why is everyone else so disgusted that they were playing an acoustic set?  Asking for a friend...  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 04:50:58 PM »

I'm not being deliberately provocative, but if I knew they were playing an acoustic set (and I'm not a particular fan - although I have enjoyed them at Croppers in the past - and I had no intention of being there), why is everyone else so disgusted that they were playing an acoustic set?  Asking for a friend...  Grin

Yes I thought they would play that too but hoped it would only be for part of their set. The reason why so many are disappointed (in my option) is that it was the headline slot and people wanted an uplifting set to end the day. Also it was bloody cold and,as I’ve said in an earlier post, we wanted something to jump around to to warm up

Born to Run (but not very fast)
PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

Looking forward to Cropredy 2024...

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 05:48:03 PM »

Not quite sure what I was expecting, but that set certainly wasn't it.

Self indulgent, pompous, and inappropriate for the slot it was in. We gave it an hour or so and then gave up.

--
Philip
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 05:57:25 PM »

Well I had no problems with the slot. I have seen them 3 times and not been struck on any occasion. I didn't repeat my past mistakes. I went to bed when they started and slept through it all very well.
Et moi aussi  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 06:13:59 PM »

As I’ve posted elsewhere, the acoustic set was fantastic at Winchester Cathedral, but lost in a cold, windy field. Unfortunately both Mark and Jez (absent) were ill, so not surprising it didn’t really come off. However, they are recording a new record, and I think the acoustic reworking was a one-off this year. Still, a valiant effort...
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 06:21:25 PM »

I quite enjoyed the set (faint praise, I know), but sitting down and acoustic their usual attitude was missing.

* crop18_007.jpg (224.31 KB, 1178x574 - viewed 1262 times.)

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 06:29:49 PM »

I remember De Danaan sitting down and I think John Martyn but any other headliners.

I wasn't there but one questions if FC knew what was being booked as a headliner.
DW
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 06:39:35 PM »

Enjoyed the set, couldn't make the rescheduled acoustic tour so it was a added bonus for me. Can understand people not being happy and maybe should have been advertised as acoustic.

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 06:43:19 PM »

Maybe they thought to bring it down a bit after Kate? Just a thought....

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 07:14:08 PM »

Given they had a new album to sell, I was expecting them to do some of the set acoustic and then change to the usual halfway. I always think of them as one of the best festival bands, guaranteed to give everything a lift. Not this time though.
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 07:22:00 PM »

Where was it stated they were playing an acoustic set David? Not saying it hasn’t been said somewhere but I didn’t hear it announced.

For a headliner act I’m afraid they fell flat IMHO.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 07:26:53 PM »

Where was it stated they were playing an acoustic set David? Not saying it hasn’t been said somewhere but I didn’t hear it announced.

For a headliner act I’m afraid they fell flat IMHO.

They didn't, but it seems everybody deliberately forgot that a) they've just released an acoustic album and b) just undertaken an acoustic tour of the UK.  Fairly big clues, I'd have humbly suggested.....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 07:32:55 PM »

Not if you don’t follow them I would humbly suggest in reply  Wink Smiley

Seriously though I’ll admit I didn’t do my homework on them (as I did with some of the other acts-mainly those I didn’t know). That was because I assumed (I know, I know) I would get a band who knew how to headline a festival.

Unfortunately, an acoustic set on a Friday at Cropredy isn’t what was expected. I wouldn’t have had a problem if it had been say half and half, that would have been fine.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 07:37:38 PM »

But recent outdoor appearances (Beautiful Day out, Caerphilly Castle) haven't been acoustic. I'd hazard a guess they either thought it would go down well at a folk festival or Jez's absence changed what possibly was going to be a half electric/half acoustic show.

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 08:04:54 PM »

I've seen them play acoustic before and it was nothing like that tosh. The guy sitting next to me said that wasn't The Levellers and my camping neighbour, a big Levellers fan, called it pretentious twaddle.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: