TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:42:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brian Wilson  (Read 55012 times)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« on: August 10, 2018, 07:27:57 AM »

Thoroughly enjoyable. Although Brian Wilson’s voice was all over the shop, the band were great. Absolutely loved the energy of Wild Honey, Sail on Sailor, I get Around. Few people are true musical legends, but when you hear all those classic songs he definitely falls into that category. Al Jardine still has a strong voice, and pleased they are keeping it in the family with his son. A wonderful end to day one!
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 08:01:08 AM »

Great band, banging out Beach Boys. I was near the front.

But

All a bit sad. The hollow shell of Brian Wilson being wheel
on stage and obviously having no idea where he was. Tremendous band
with him, but he was on auto-pilot.

Brian did minimal singing and I wasn't convinced that he was playing the piano.

Sorry to be negative, but there were far better turns earlier in the day.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:23:09 AM »

Absolutely loved it!
Having seen Brian Wilson on tv recently, I was actually surprised at just how much singing he did. OK it wasn’t pretty at times, but with that band and those songs it was a joyous experience.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 08:59:04 AM »

Absolutely loved it!
Having seen Brian Wilson on tv recently, I was actually surprised at just how much singing he did. OK it wasn’t pretty at times, but with that band and those songs it was a joyous experience.

Beach boys Tribute band?
Gets coat.!
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 09:05:34 AM »

Absolutely loved it!

Beach boys Tribute band?
Gets coat.!
With twice the number of original members than Fairport!

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 09:57:27 AM »

Great band, banging out Beach Boys. I was near the front.

But

All a bit sad. The hollow shell of Brian Wilson being wheel
on stage and obviously having no idea where he was. Tremendous band
with him, but he was on auto-pilot.

Brian did minimal singing and I wasn't convinced that he was playing the piano.

Sorry to be negative, but there were far better turns earlier in the day.

I wasn't there but this is exactly what I feared and expected. Brian's shows have been this way for a long time. I last saw him about 12 years ago and it was like this then. The band were excellent and his singing was ok then but the piano is a prop for him to hide behind. He doesn't play it and he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights who didn't know if this was Brighton or a banana. But Brian's name sells the tickets. There would be less demand for The Wondermints sing The Beach Boys.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 10:20:02 AM »

Absolutely loved it!

Beach boys Tribute band?
Gets coat.!

Good point! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 10:26:37 AM »

Absolutely loved it!

Beach boys Tribute band?
Gets coat.!

Apart the Beach Boys weren't playing - billed as Brian Wilson Plays Pet Sounds - so comments about tribute bands are pointless.

Just saying.

DW
iandiddams

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 11:24:23 AM »

Billed as Brian Wilson plays Pet Sounds. In reality was some  pet sounds within a lot of beachboys standards.

Tribute Band seems a fair description. At an early stage of the set my wife said this is like a wedding band. I'd just thought the same thing.

The band themselves were very good. But that just makes them a very good covers band.

His voice is frankly awful. If it was a bloke playing a pub gig he'd never get booked again. V. poor, v. disappointing.
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 12:24:18 PM »

I wasn’t too excited when he/they were announced, agree with all the comments about his voice etc. We had a great time though - Hawaiian shirts have clearly been replaced with heavy duty hoodies !  Cropredy not California temperatures

and the stars look very different today
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 12:59:32 PM »

Absolutely loved it!

Beach boys Tribute band?
Gets coat.!

Apart the Beach Boys weren't playing - billed as Brian Wilson Plays Pet Sounds - so comments about tribute bands are pointless.

Just saying.

DW

This is also true David. I withdraw my comment!
I think what I was trying to say that I have some slight wibbles when a bands music is played by a bunch of session musicians, however good they are. Some of the bands energy , original vibe. , however you express it is bound to be lost.
I know there is the classical music analogy where different orchestras play the classic composers and some body may be watching a band called Fairport Convention in 200 years time , keeping that genre alive, so it is probably just me.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 02:52:11 PM »

I wasn't there but this is exactly what I feared and expected. Brian's shows have been this way for a long time. I last saw him about 12 years ago and it was like this then. The band were excellent and his singing was ok then but the piano is a prop for him to hide behind. He doesn't play it and he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights who didn't know if this was Brighton or a banana. But Brian's name sells the tickets. There would be less demand for The Wondermints sing The Beach Boys.

Sad but 100% accurate.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 04:42:25 PM »

Absolutely loved it!

Beach boys Tribute band?
Gets coat.!

(A possible pedant writes): Al wasn't an original member was he - didn't he replace David Marks?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 05:49:02 PM »

(A possible pedant writes): Al wasn't an original member was he - didn't he replace David Marks?

No, Marks replaced Jardine when Jardine went to study dentistry.  Jardine returned about a year later and Marks was given the elbow.....until Love called him back decades later to bolster the cred of his increasingly phoney touring band.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 07:01:15 PM »

No, Marks replaced Jardine when Jardine went to study dentistry.  Jardine returned about a year later and Marks was given the elbow.....until Love called him back decades later to bolster the cred of his increasingly phoney touring band.

Jules

Phew.  I'm not a pedant after all  Wink Smiley Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 11:27:03 PM »

I found it utterly bizarre. Parts were as good as anything I have heard in the field, other bits - largely when Brian was singing - were excruciating. Like watching your child in a school concert, praying that they hit the notes. I saw the Smile concert at the Festival Hall 10 (?) years ago and while he was distant then, it seems far more serious now. He clearly has major problems and it is wrong for everyone to have to watch, not least him. Let him retire gracefully and leave everyone with positive memories of a true great.
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 11:41:26 PM »

I found it utterly bizarre. Parts were as good as anything I have heard in the field, other bits - largely when Brian was singing - were excruciating. Like watching your child in a school concert, praying that they hit the notes. I saw the Smile concert at the Festival Hall 10 (?) years ago and while he was distant then, it seems far more serious now. He clearly has major problems and it is wrong for everyone to have to watch, not least him. Let him retire gracefully and leave everyone with positive memories of a true great.
You make it sound as though he is being forced into this.
Is there any evidence that he is performing against his will?

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 08:46:08 AM »

You make it sound as though he is being forced into this.
Is there any evidence that he is performing against his will?

The legal cases about who "controls" Brian go back into the 80's (Eugene Landy et al).  There is no doubt this time...his wife, but it has always seemed a 'willing control'.  One forgets just how truly bizarre it was to see Brian live in '00 - it felt magical just to see his presence on a stage after everything he'd been through (a bit like seeing Arthur Lee live in '92).  Seeing both these artists then became common place in the next decade or two.  And what seemed magical, then becomes first ubiquitous and then embarrassing.  Thankfully (but sadly) that was never allowed to happen with Arthur (although remember, just before he died he sacked Baby Lemonade, formed another Love etc etc).  With Brian, 'he' has just become a money making machine.  He hasn't been 'all there' since the 60's.  He's a man-child.  And he's being used.  Is that ok?  I think we all know the answer to that, really...

richardkendell

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 08:55:57 AM »

Well I'm pleased I saw him but I found the overall experience rather sad. The early surfing numbers were great, I didn't warm to the mid set stuff and I am afraid Pet Sounds is not my favourite album (better than Smile though!). In reality a shadow of a great artist carried through by an excellent backing band.
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 09:31:56 AM »

Thanks for that explanation David, it really does seem that he is being taken advantage of which is very sad indeed.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: