TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:56:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1089538 times)
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2013, 10:41:39 AM »

The Fairport member who suggested that they sang Bob Dylan's If you gotta go in French would not have dreamed that it would also end up on this person's cd. I do not know if he used the same lyrics but he certainly did use their arrangement.

http://www.lastfm.fr/music/Hugues+Aufray/Aufray+Trans+Dylan

Here an exerpt of the song:

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/dmusic/media/sample.m3u/ref=dm_sp_smpl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0060CMDU2&catalogItemType=track

Or that their version would be used on these compilation cd's, it is number 20 on dics 4.

http://www.northendhaarlem.nl/a-25976162/verzamel/vive-la-france-top-100-5cd/
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2013, 08:32:59 PM »

Stoned out of his mind?

Well, he has been known to inhale, you know... allegedly (actually, I'm pretty certain he's in 'print' on that score...but...)

That certainly wasn't a Marlboro Light hanging from his lips for the duration of Sloth the first time I saw Fairport, at Glastonbury '84.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2013, 10:45:45 AM »

This month's Prog magazine describes the chaps as "British Folk Prog Legends".  Ha ha ha.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2013, 09:50:56 AM »

The 1/2 page ad (in the Grauniad Guide) for the 2014 Wintour includes the legend: "First & Foremost Folk Rock".

Hope this means more "welly"!

(not a Merseybeat tribute segment...  Wink )

Flobbadob!
Ronald

« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2013, 08:29:26 AM »

Some badly informed reporters write strange/droll reviews like the one I found of a Fairport concert in October 1973 in The Netherlands.

First he started by saying that Dave Swarick and Dave Mattacks were the only two members of the old Fairport  Huh

Then he goes on by saying that Swarbrick with his Paganini like performance dominated the two hour concert and that the few times he let Trevor Lucas sing the quality dropped significantly Huh Huh, but he saved the best for the last. According to the reporter the American style guitar work of Jerry Donahue did not really fit the music they played because they are not really a Rock band or can play American Country music. As an example he gave Dylan's Country Pie because in that song it was evident that there is a difference between the British and American way of building up solos and that Fairport could use a real American guitarist?Huh??

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2013, 03:39:06 PM »

Nothing like research huh?  Huh                  Wink

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Zoe
The answer's yes... now, what was the question?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Whittlesey

« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2013, 03:43:29 PM »

We were at Spalding Folk club last night and saw posters for Fairport at The South Holland Centre 29th May 2014 £20, could not see it on the Fairport website gig page so thought you might like a heads up.

Its a fact that all the good words hang out in all the bad places
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2013, 04:13:32 PM »

The first of the May acoustic tour gigs....

Ronald

« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2013, 04:20:48 PM »

Nothing like research huh?  Huh                  Wink

It is funny to read some of these old reviews and it also corrects your memory. I saw Emmylou Harris once in Amsterdam and could have sworn it was in the Concertgebouw, in fact I would have staked my life on it but after reading the review I saw that it had been in another place, how is that for memory failure, and that only after 35 years or so  Embarrassed

We were at Spalding Folk club last night and saw posters for Fairport at The South Holland Centre 29th May 2014 £20, could not see it on the Fairport website gig page so thought you might like a heads up.

I do live in the part of Holland called South Holland but unfortunately that centre is in England.

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2013, 06:14:23 PM »

So lot's of people who saw Fairport at GBFF are saying it was the best they have seen them for a while.  Can you expand a bit on what made it so good for those of us who missed out?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2013, 07:20:51 PM »

For me it was a combination of things. A very appealing setlist. Some terrific singing from everyone (except Ric) with glorious harmonies. Really robust, muscular and dare I say rocking performances. Hilarious banter (no Simon, we are not all from Skegness) and a general sense of bonhomie both within the band and between band and audience. The crowd were up for it from the first number. It didn't hurt that the first number was a crunchy Sir Patrick Spens. A big meeting of old friends. Everybody on top form.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2013, 07:37:13 PM »

I saw your report earlier Al and wanted to ask the same question Will did. That makes me really happy to hear!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2013, 09:27:05 PM »

The Fairport member who suggested that they sang Bob Dylan's If you gotta go in French would not have dreamed that it would also end up on this person's cd. I do not know if he used the same lyrics but he certainly did use their arrangement.

http://www.lastfm.fr/music/Hugues+Aufray/Aufray+Trans+Dylan

Here an exerpt of the song:

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/dmusic/media/sample.m3u/ref=dm_sp_smpl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0060CMDU2&catalogItemType=track

Or that their version would be used on these compilation cd's, it is number 20 on dics 4.

http://www.northendhaarlem.nl/a-25976162/verzamel/vive-la-france-top-100-5cd/
This was my intro to the song - never heard Dylan's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg6zg-bu5Oc
Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2013, 02:14:21 PM »

So what does everyone think of the brand spanking new album from Chris Leslie, purchased last night at the Aggies Bury gig?

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2013, 02:30:07 PM »

This was my intro to the song - never heard Dylan's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg6zg-bu5Oc

Here's Bob's, Bob:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYfYy362wHs

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Mark Donmall

Loc: Tunbridge Wells

« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2013, 10:49:14 AM »

Just seen on Proper's web site that Simon Nicol's 2 solo albums are to be re-issued in January http://www.propermusic.com/artist/Simon-Nicol-68915
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #136 on: December 09, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »

At full price?.....hmmm

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #137 on: December 09, 2013, 12:20:03 PM »

At full price?.....hmmm
16 years after they were last released, too. As I already have 'em, I wouldn't buy 'em anyhow, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't at this price. All due respect and everything, but....

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2013, 12:37:25 PM »

At full price?.....hmmm
16 years after they were last released, too. As I already have 'em, I wouldn't buy 'em anyhow, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't at this price. All due respect and everything, but....

We love em, but the last(?) reissue in a 2 for 1 CD was the best idea. We originally had the first on vinyl and the second on cassette so the reissue was welcomed then.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Ronald

« Reply #139 on: December 09, 2013, 02:48:39 PM »

When Fairport wanted another female singer Sandy Denny also did an audition, did she know Fairport then or did she only audition because she had heard Fairport was looking for a female singer in other words had there been another band looking for a female singer like Traffic, Lindisfarne or Jethro Tull to name a couple would she also have tried those? Or was her choice for Fairport a deliberate one? Does anyone know?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: