TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:59:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1089827 times)
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2013, 06:54:15 PM »

http://www.kevindempsey.co.uk/gigscms/gigs.php

Go right to the bottom of the page and look at the last thing on the gig list.

2015?

Yeah, I don't know if it's a mistake or whether they genuinely know this far in advance. If they did, it would suggest the band already have someone booked for next year.

Imponderable Joy
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2013, 07:39:41 PM »

They have.. It's Edwina Hayes surely?

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2013, 08:36:53 PM »

They have.. It's Edwina Hayes surely?

Just checked Edwina's FB, and yes you're right. I could be wrong, but it seems Fairport themselves have yet to announce it, which is why I wasn't aware of it.

Imponderable Joy
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2013, 10:57:38 PM »

Er... I've never heard of Edwina Hayes. Any info?
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2013, 11:20:03 PM »

http://www.edwinahayes.com/

Singer/songwriter, she recorded a song for the film My Sister's Keeper, she has performed at Cropredy twice before, once on her own in 2005 and again in 2007 with Hummingbird.

Imponderable Joy
Peter Taylor

Loc: Bolton

« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »

Don't know whether this is a joke

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/gta-5-features-wildly-incongruous-folk-soundtrack-2013091779531
leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »

It's the Daily Mash - they don't post true articles!

Cheers,

Donna
xx
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2013, 08:31:36 PM »

having just spent the day slaving over a hot xbox the i can conffirm the article is gods honest truth

The Dude abides
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2013, 08:42:31 PM »

Not bad as I recall but a tad Minnie Mousey some said.
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2013, 08:55:36 PM »

Not bad as I recall but a tad Minnie Mousey some said.

Great singing voice,slightly odd (Lancastrian) talking voice!  Fez

Happy mainly.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2013, 10:05:54 PM »

http://www.edwinahayes.com/

Singer/songwriter, she recorded a song for the film My Sister's Keeper, she has performed at Cropredy twice before, once on her own in 2005 and again in 2007 with Hummingbird.

Ah, Hummingbird. Now you're talking. I thought they were great and I really like their album too. I must have seen her in 2005 as well but I have no recollection of that.
Widds

Loc: Preston, Lancashire

Take aurally once a month.

« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2013, 04:04:27 AM »

Great singing voice,slightly odd (Lancastrian) talking voice!  Fez

Brought up in Preston and later the east coast of Yorkshire. That's enough to make anyone talk a bit odd!   Wink

Keep focused on FolkCast!
www.folkcast.co.uk
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »

After Unhalfbricking was released there was a review about it in a Dutch music paper, the reviewer liked the album and also wrote that their sound was very English and this Englishness was also to be found on the back cover according to the reviewer. A picture of the band having a meal, nothing special but what had caught the reviewer's eye was the bottle of HP sauce.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2013, 11:24:13 AM »

After Unhalfbricking was released there was a review about it in a Dutch music paper, the reviewer liked the album and also wrote that their sound was very English and this Englishness was also to be found on the back cover according to the reviewer. A picture of the band having a meal, nothing special but what had caught the reviewer's eye was the bottle of HP sauce.

"...what had caught the reviewer's eye was the bottle of HP sauce"
Which, ironically is currently produced by Heinz in The Netherlands  Smiley
Ronald

« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »

"...what had caught the reviewer's eye was the bottle of HP sauce"
Which, ironically is currently produced by Heinz in The Netherlands  Smiley

Funny, but I think only a regular user would know this. Smiley
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2013, 12:04:33 PM »

Ronald, at the time when it was relocated to the Netherlands there was a minor outcry at the loss of the manufacture of a national emblem at the whim of global enterprise

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2013, 11:05:55 AM »

Went to see Tonypandemonium, the first play from Dylan Thomas Prize winning author Rachel Trezise (from Tonypandy in The Rhondda) last night, and was delighted to see one of the lead characters wearing a 1996 Cropredy top! (Sort of a blush orange colour)

I've tried to resize a photo of it on my iPad but I have no idea how you do this, so I can't post a photo sorry

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Ronald

« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2013, 02:14:23 PM »

Found this old review of Fairport of a concert in December 1975 in the South of The Netherlands:

Of all the bands in the field of folk-rock, there is really only one true one: Fairport Convention. That was Sunday night in the city theatre in Sittard again underlined by a dazzling concert given by the band. One and a half hours of fresh swinging folk-rock music, interspersed with some beautiful ballads played by a bunch of spontaneous musicians. The line- up of Fairport Convention is as follows: singer and pianist Sandy Denny, for years the pivot around which the group revolved, Trevor Lucas (acoustic guitar), Dave Pegg (bass guitar), Jerry Donahue (electric and slide guitar), Bruce Rowland (drums) and of course the harlequin group of violinist Dave Swarbrick. Dave Swarbrick who acts - at least on stage - as the new leader of the band. Stoned out of his mind and chain smoking (or rather " eating " as the quiet Trevor Lucas let slip) he hops around the stage with his electric violin leaving no room for the others. The only one that could be heard above him was drummer Bruce Rowland.

LOUD

Sandy Denny is no longer the pivot of Fairport Convention. The only thing that was left for her to do was to try to rise vocally above the loud sound of the band. Something she had difficulty with. Some songs were played so loud that Sandy Denny could only shake her head. Her voice also seemed already to have suffered severely during this European tour which was just five days old. Fairport Convention began the concert with Dirty Linen. Dave Swarbrick demonstrated immediately that he would be the main man. After this they played some older songs like Matty Groves, which was played much too loud, Fiddlestix and Bring him down, then came a number of tracks from their new lp Rising from the Moon, Restless, Stranger to himself and Dawn. Highlight of the evening was a beautiful long version of Sloth.

Stoned out of his mind?Huh?
If it was too loud I guess it was not the fault of the band but the sound engineer.
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »

Interesting!
I went to the Gothenburgh concert on the same tour,  December 8, if I remember correctly. It was a Sunday evening and I have vague memories, but had it been as loud and "erratic" then,  as the Netherlands review implies, I guess it would have stuck in my mind.
On the contrary, I remember a very tight, concentrated band fronted by a relaxed Sandy Denny in a long dress.
Is memory playing tricks with me?  Wink

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2013, 03:05:21 PM »

Stoned out of his mind?

Well, he has been known to inhale, you know... allegedly (actually, I'm pretty certain he's in 'print' on that score...but...)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: