TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
January 17, 2020, 05:31:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shuffle and Go  (Read 148 times)
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« on: Today at 08:55:57 AM »

A recently completed review.  Smiley

https://rootsandbranchesaustralia.wordpress.com/cd-review-fairport-convention-shuffle-and-go/

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:14:57 AM »

A fair review, thanks for sharing. I received my copy a couple of days ago and have been playing it since.

First, my least favourite tracks - I'll pinch Michael's words here To my ears, other songs such as Linseed Memories and A Thousand Bars (the usual song about alcohol) donít do much more than pass the time pleasantly

My favourite tracks are the opening one 'Don't Reveal My Name', 'Moses Waits' and 'Stardust & Solitude'. The two Ric Sanders instrumentals are decent and the two 'folky' ones ('Byfield Steeplechase' and 'Jolly Springtime') are definite growers. As for the rest - ok, but not particularly memorable.  I'm still reserving my judgement on the title track, it may grow on me.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:34:04 AM »

A fair review, thanks for sharing. I received my copy a couple of days ago and have been playing it since.

First, my least favourite tracks - I'll pinch Michael's words here To my ears, other songs such as Linseed Memories and A Thousand Bars (the usual song about alcohol) donít do much more than pass the time pleasantly

My favourite tracks are the opening one 'Don't Reveal My Name', 'Moses Waits' and 'Stardust & Solitude'. The two Ric Sanders instrumentals are decent and the two 'folky' ones ('Byfield Steeplechase' and 'Jolly Springtime') are definite growers. As for the rest - ok, but not particularly memorable. †I'm still reserving my judgement on the title track, it may grow on me.

I'm finding the title track more palatable on the album than live. The opener is strong, almost Richard Thompson-esque. Only listened to the album 1.5 times so far, buy I'd say it's on a par with Festival Bell and Myths and Heroes.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The Mosel Valley

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:54:05 AM »

Having read the review, it states that there is use of the Summertime Blues chords in one of the tracks. Note the subtle use of a picture of a Gretsch on the cover?  Wink Eddie's was standard orange, but mustn't be picky.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: