TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:42:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1084564 times)
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2013, 06:47:18 PM »

Those who are following Kami Thompson's musical adventures may like to know that she and partner James have renamed themselves from Dead Flamingos to The Rails. Not sure why. Maybe there's another group called Dead Flamingoes out there.

There may or may not be another Dead Flamingos out there, but there is definitely another band called 'The Rails'.  I think they are Canadian?    Roll Eyes

I think you are on the right track there

Just to augment your joke Jim, I found this.....     http://www.therails.ca/

No Left Turn Unstoned
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2013, 06:54:09 PM »

After watching a clip of Fairport doing Mercy Bay at GBFF coupled with reports from some here about the performance, can I say how good and inspired they are sounding. Quite loud and aggressive, and Gerry in particular sounding great. Well done chaps.

Did that not come across in my review?  Grin

Must have been lost somewhere in between "I" and "enjoyed it"  Grin I blame the hat!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »

Being a big Mattacks fan, I remember when Gerry joined I had no reservations whatsoever about him. Notwithstanding his connection to the Fairport family for years before, his drumming has always been enjoyable to me, and I love how he has incorporated percussion instruments over the years as well.

And the two playing together are awesome.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2013, 07:13:59 PM »

Those who are following Kami Thompson's musical adventures may like to know that she and partner James have renamed themselves from Dead Flamingos to The Rails. Not sure why. Maybe there's another group called Dead Flamingoes out there.

There may or may not be another Dead Flamingos out there, but there is definitely another band called 'The Rails'.  I think they are Canadian?    Roll Eyes

I think you are on the right track there

Just to augment your joke Jim, I found this.....     http://www.therails.ca/

Joke? Joke!

The Dude abides
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2013, 07:57:41 PM »

I didn't get it right away, its a bit of a sleeper.

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #165 on: December 17, 2013, 08:05:37 PM »

Cripes.  http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/12/saturn-rings-peggy/

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #166 on: December 17, 2013, 08:13:16 PM »

I wonder if it's an obelisk like in 2001 (in the book version it orbits Saturn rather than Jupiter in the movie - or is it 'tother way round?).
Fascinating.

Well I never did..
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #167 on: December 17, 2013, 09:00:26 PM »

I wonder if it's an obelisk like in 2001 (in the book version it orbits Saturn rather than Jupiter in the movie - or is it 'tother way round?).
Fascinating.

Yes, Jupiter in the movie.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #168 on: December 17, 2013, 09:36:32 PM »

(Funnily enough,I bought the DVD of the movie at the weekend,but I haven't watched it yet.)
I wonder if there's a close up of this anomaly,and it turns out to be The Monolith...you'll see the Angel Delight line up surrounding it having a widdle.

Well I never did..
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #169 on: December 27, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »

Good to see Iain Matthews involved in this: http://pitchfork.com/news/53198-beach-house-fleet-foxes-walkmen-grizzly-bear-members-to-perform-gene-clarks-no-other-on-tour/   ....and I do hope recordings of the shows are made available  Cheesy

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2014, 12:07:30 PM »

Weird bit of trivia,for no obvious reason I was thinking about the first time I saw Fairport,Leeds Astoria 1985 (Gladys' Leap tour). Does anyone else recall the slide show that accompanied "The Hiring Fair" more or less following the story of the song. Does anyone else recall this and does anyone know if it has been seen/heard of since then? They may also have been another series of photos accompanying another song but can't recall which one.  

Happy mainly.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »

Weird bit of trivia,for no obvious reason I was thinking about the first time I saw Fairport,Leeds Astoria 1985 (Gladys' Leap tour). Does anyone else recall the slide show that accompanied "The Hiring Fair" more or less following the story of the song. Does anyone else recall this and does anyone know if it has been seen/heard of since then? They may also have been another series of photos accompanying another song but can't recall which one.  

There was a slide show used on one of the live videos instead of live footage, could it be the same one . Off to the footie soon, so cant check it out for a while.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2014, 12:36:45 PM »

Yes I remember it ...  But don't know if it's been seen or used since then...

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2014, 12:37:44 PM »

I do indeed remember the Hiring Fair slide show.  It seems to me it was used for a year or two then retired.  I have a vague memory that there was another one that accompanied Portmeirion, with pictures of the village, but wouldn't swear to it.  That must have been mpre short-lived (if it existed at all outside my mind!).

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2014, 04:06:29 PM »

Did they not have something like that on the big screen during HF a few years ago? (possibly the year there was a screen on the back of the sound tower?) I certainly remember a picture of the moon during the song, can't recall if there was a whole slideshow.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2014, 05:05:55 PM »

I seem to recall the young lady was played by Peggy's daughter Steph.
Viv G

« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2014, 08:41:21 AM »

Yes I have this same memory too
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2014, 10:52:01 AM »

That slideshow appeared on the Cropredy 1986 VHS that came out - 'Cropredy Capers' as I recall...

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2014, 03:02:16 PM »

Yes I have this same memory too

As I recall (but I may be mistaken), the pictures were taken by Peggy's (then) wife?
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2014, 01:34:48 PM »

The Times has a feature today, "Pop School: 20 Best Voices", by Bob Stanley. Sandy takes the number 2 spot, after Elvis and ahead of Marvin Gaye and Dusty...

Not available online without subscription (Mr Murdoch doesn't believe in giving anything away free).

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: