TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:20:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WinTour 2013  (Read 90239 times)
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #180 on: March 03, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »

A spur of the moment decision meant we saw the lads in Clacton last night  -  mainly because it was announced that tickets were still available and also because we can do that sort of thing these days with no little ones or older ones to look after.  I'm so glad we did because we had a great time and enjoyed ourselves even more than the last time we saw Fairport, which was only a couple of weeks ago!

It couldn't have been easy playing to a half-full theatre but John Watterson (Fake Thackray) set the right tone by telling us we were the creme de la creme of Clacton. I appreciated his set more this time - the difference being I could hear the words of the songs clearly and his gentle self-deprecating humour was even more charming than on the previous occasion.  I can't remember if we got the song about the Albert Hall in Colchester but it was a good one and it made me chuckle.

The first half was full of old favourites, some less often heard like Honour and Praise and The Eynesham Poacher and some more familiar to the ears like John Gaudie and Walk Awhile. Chris gave a moving performance of Rosie – I cannot/will not believe that such a beautiful, whimsical song is anything other than that which it professes to be.

The second half was even better with more sea songs. I love Mercy Bay and Fairport’s version of Wild Cape Horn is growing on me. The Irving Johnston videos on YouTube helped - I recommend giving them a watch if you haven’t already done so. Doctor of Physick is always good to hear. I don’t really know what it is about exactly but it thrills and unnerves me in equal measure – make what you will of that (I’m sure Freud would)! Best of all was Who Knows Where The Time Goes – Simon really nailed it in my opinion. Am I right in thinking that the positive and uplifting qualities of Meet On the Ledge are being emphasised this year?

I can’t help thinking, that on the back of the success of Fotheringay and Farewell Farewell, it would be a good idea for them to have a go at interpreting  a few other songs that this line-up have never attempted.  To Althea from Prison and  Sir William Gower would be top of my list but I’m sure there are plenty of others voted for that never made it onto By Popular Request.

P.S.
What a lovely little theatre The Westcliff is. The decor and impeccable manners of the staff are from a bygone age and I am sure we will return. Like Simon we managed to fit in a short walk along the sea front before the gig. Unlike him however  we were unable to enjoy a fish supper as we were in Frinton, so had to make do with a picnic courtesy of Mr Marks and Mr Spencer. We'll know next time! Grin
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 01:36:32 PM by Jan_ » Logged
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #181 on: March 04, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »

We were blessed with free tickets to last night's concert in Cardiff - probably the best I've seen the current line-up play  Smiley Thoroughly enjoyed Fake Thackery too.

Highlight for me was Mercy Bay and Honour & Praise which has long been a personal favourite.

No sign of them slowing down I'm glad to say  Cool

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #182 on: March 04, 2013, 01:09:39 PM »

Hello Bridget. Were you sitting in row BB in Tier 1.  I think I was sitting right behind you, in row CC.

It was a great night, wasn't it? My daughter, who came with me, was overjoyed at hearing 'Honour and Praise'.  

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #183 on: March 04, 2013, 02:27:45 PM »

I'm beginning to regret not having made an effort to go and see them on this tour, with all the positive things being said.  Let's hope the Spring acoustic tour is as good!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #184 on: March 04, 2013, 04:10:47 PM »

Hello Bridget. Were you sitting in row BB in Tier 1.  I think I was sitting right behind you, in row CC.

It was a great night, wasn't it? My daughter, who came with me, was overjoyed at hearing 'Honour and Praise'.  
Yes Mick we were, you should have tapped me on the shoulder!

mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #185 on: March 04, 2013, 06:01:24 PM »

I wasn't sure it was you, but at the interval my daughter said she thought she recognised you.   That threw me, because she doesn't use this board!!

CarlWoodb

Loc: North East Wales

A noisy noise annoys an oyster

« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2013, 06:10:30 PM »

We were at Shrewsbury last night. It sounds a very similar set to the one at Clacton described above.
Have to confess, this is the first time I've seen FC live.  Oh dear, why did I wait so long?  Really enjoyed it.  It was a brilliant gig.

SN sang 'Who knows where the time goes'  He'd just (in the interval) had news of a friend admitted to a hospice, it was dedicated to her but it nearly broke him up, had to leave the stage for a minute after it.

Hmm, can we get to Leek or Southport for the Spring tour.   Smiley

Fake (John Watterson) Thakray was brilliant too, yes offensive, sexist and very non PC but brilliantly funny.  He captures Jake's music and voice perfectly but he can't match the deadpan expression.

(Still prefer Ralph's own version of Wild Cape Horn  Wink )

How lucky can you get, growing old(er) with Naomi
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2013, 11:15:10 PM »

I wasn't sure it was you, but at the interval my daughter said she thought she recognised you.   That threw me, because she doesn't use this board!!
facebook?

Maybe see you at the bar at Cropredy then   Tiara

gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #188 on: March 08, 2013, 01:33:22 AM »

A lovely evening at Cardiff. Front row centre seats. Woo hoo! Fake Thackray was a lot of fun. My friend's partner Jeff was a Fairport virgin and thoroughly enjoyed himself and has decided to join Pat at Cropredy this year.  Smiley

So that's two Cropredy virgins I will be bringing along this year! Loved John Gaudie, Farewell, Farewell, Albert and Ted, Sir Patrick Spens, Doctor of Physick, Danny Jack's Reward, Banks of the Sweet Primroses, The Wood and The Wire, Fotheringay and Mercy Bay. Others too numerous to mention!  Cheesy

Thank you Fairport for yet another wonderful gig.  Kiss

That's not dirt, it's patination!
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #189 on: March 08, 2013, 06:29:49 AM »

facebook?

Maybe see you at the bar at Cropredy then   Tiara

Yes, I am on facebook - and I'll definitely be at the Cropredy bar - I'll be easy to spot, I'll be the one with the beard wearing a Fairport t shirt!! Fez

Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #190 on: March 08, 2013, 10:36:23 AM »

We were at Shrewsbury last night. It sounds a very similar set to the one at Clacton described above.
Have to confess, this is the first time I've seen FC live.  Oh dear, why did I wait so long?  Really enjoyed it.  It was a brilliant gig.

SN sang 'Who knows where the time goes'  He'd just (in the interval) had news of a friend admitted to a hospice, it was dedicated to her but it nearly broke him up, had to leave the stage for a minute after it.

Hmm, can we get to Leek or Southport for the Spring tour.   Smiley

Fake (John Watterson) Thakray was brilliant too, yes offensive, sexist and very non PC but brilliantly funny.  He captures Jake's music and voice perfectly but he can't match the deadpan expression.

(Still prefer Ralph's own version of Wild Cape Horn  Wink )

Yes I was there too! Great night really good set list. Chris took time out in the interval to speak to my daughter about his extra small chin rest she was dead chuffed!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2013, 10:47:07 AM »

Yes I was there too! Great night really good set list. Chris took time out in the interval to speak to my daughter about his extra small chin rest she was dead chuffed!

Is it an extra chin rest that is small, or is it a chin rest that is extra-small?
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2013, 10:13:24 PM »

It seems everybody was right. The music was really outstanding and jokes were worse.
The Union Chapel is a really atmospheric venue, they seem to have sorted out the previously dreadful acoustics and it was the largest crowd I've seen there.

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #193 on: March 11, 2013, 12:32:04 AM »

What a beautiful venue! Hope to see it for myself one day.

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #194 on: March 11, 2013, 01:11:27 PM »

Is it an extra chin rest that is small, or is it a chin rest that is extra-small?

The second a chin rest that is extra small! Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2013, 09:09:03 PM »

The second a chin rest that is extra small! Grin

I suppose it could also have been a rest for an extra-small chin, but I know that Chris hasn't got one of those.  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: