TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:09:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WinTour 2013  (Read 91478 times)
Mark J Salt

Loc: Sea view from a mountain in North Wales

« on: June 25, 2012, 08:32:56 PM »

Just been researching the Great British Folk Festival, Butlins, Skegness 30/11/12 -2/12/12 and found this:

Fake Thackray (John Watterson) is to open for Fairport on their 2013 Winter Tour.
Therefore a spot at Cropredy next year.

http://www.fakethackray.com

Check it out, he is rather good....
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 12:16:32 AM »

Interesting choice for support, I like the sound of him though Smiley

Imponderable Joy
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:37:52 AM »

Saw him at The Acoustic Festival . Wasnt expecting to like him much but really enjoyed him. Well worth seeing.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:33:28 AM »

He was at Crick boat show this year. Enjoyable to listen to. He is not a tribute act, more an enthusiast doing the songs. He does put a bit of his own style on them.

Paul

Fake Thackray(John W)
n3wb

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 02:50:57 PM »

Hi Guys - thanks very much for the kind comments. I am really looking forward to the Fairport support tour and Cropredy next year - getting mildly incontinent at the thought! So grateful to the Fairport guys - what a lovely bunch. Hope to meet you at a gig sometime soon. Thanks again. John
Pete Gray
Totally Scuppered

Loc: Coal Aston, Dronfield - Nr. Sheffield

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 03:57:42 PM »

He played Coal Aston Village Hall in April.
A brilliant performance with both music and patter delivered not just with full reverance to the Late Great Jake himself but with an individuality and charm of John's own making.
We loved every minute of it.
I reckon he'll be a brilliant opening support for the guys next wintour.

Fake Thackray(John W)
n3wb

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »

Wow - thank you Peter! Cheque is in the post! Hope to see you again soon. John
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »

I haven't been to the last couple of wintours but the chance to hear Jake's songs might tip the balance.

DW
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »

I haven't been to the last couple of wintours but the chance to hear Jake's songs might tip the balance.

DW
Same here  Smiley Let's hope the chaps do Cardiff

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 01:17:03 PM »

Or Pontardawe!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Fake Thackray(John W)
n3wb

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 02:02:46 PM »

Looking forward to playing in Maidenhead next Thurs 5 July at Norden Farm Arts Centre 01628 788997.

Be nice to see any Thackerites if you can make it!

John  Smiley

www.fakethackray.com
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 02:11:38 PM »

Fairport playing the De Montfort Hall on February 13th.  Last time (acoustic tour last year) they played the Y Theatre which didn't sell out, capacty 360.  The De Montfort is 1500, maybe 900 if you don't open upstairs.  Hmm...

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 12:46:45 PM »

OK, I think I have steeled myself for the howls of derision now. I almost didn't say this, but decided in the end I wouldn't be being true to myself or my principles if I didn't, regardless of the reaction it will draw (I expect the words "It's just a bit of fun" to feature quite prominently).

I visited John's website after seeing this post, and watched the video on the front page. As a result, I have to say that I won't be going to any show on the 2013 Winter Tour. That's a shame, but I really thought this sort of insidious stereotyping had gone the way of the dinosaurs, and I'm disappointed at FC for promoting it.
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 01:14:34 PM »

Well you can't please everyone of course, but I think your criticism is a bit harsh. Your choice, naturally. As for "howls of derision", I don't do those. Maybe people won't be as displeased (or even bothered) by your views as you think they will?

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »

OK, I think I have steeled myself for the howls of derision now. I almost didn't say this, but decided in the end I wouldn't be being true to myself or my principles if I didn't, regardless of the reaction it will draw (I expect the words "It's just a bit of fun" to feature quite prominently).

I visited John's website after seeing this post, and watched the video on the front page. As a result, I have to say that I won't be going to any show on the 2013 Winter Tour. That's a shame, but I really thought this sort of insidious stereotyping had gone the way of the dinosaurs, and I'm disappointed at FC for promoting it.

How sad. Do you like Bellowhead?

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »

I have never ever missed a gig because I dont like the support, or missed Cropredy because I dont like one of the headliners.
I'm going to Heaton Park to see the Roses tomorrow and they've got Plan B  on for Cliffs sake.

giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 01:50:54 PM »

OK, I think I have steeled myself for the howls of derision now. I almost didn't say this, but decided in the end I wouldn't be being true to myself or my principles if I didn. That's a shame, but I really thought this sort of insidious stereotyping had gone the way of the dinosaurs, and I'm disappointed at FC for promoting it.

Some (and I certainly do) say the same about Digance but it wouldn't stop me going to Cropredy.Why not just stay in the pub for the first half?
Peter H-K

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »

Some (and I certainly do) say the same about Digance but it wouldn't stop me going to Cropredy.Why not just stay in the pub for the first half?

I thought of that. But then, unless I got a fractional discount on my ticket, I'd be funding it, wouldn't I?
Peter H-K

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »

I have never ever missed a gig because I dont like the support, or missed Cropredy because I dont like one of the headliners.
I'm going to Heaton Park to see the Roses tomorrow and they've got Plan B  on for Cliffs sake.

It's not a matter of not liking, though, it's a matter of finding morally objectionable.
Peter H-K

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 04:11:10 PM »

Well you can't please everyone of course, but I think your criticism is a bit harsh. Your choice, naturally. As for "howls of derision", I don't do those. Maybe people won't be as displeased (or even bothered) by your views as you think they will?

Oh, I should be clear that I don't think anyone should be bothered about what I think, in the sense of being concerned to know what some bloke they've never met thinks--nobody would have any reason to do that. But there's a distinction here: people could quite sensibly not be bothered about what I think, while still sensibly caring about what I think, in the sense of caring about, so to speak, the content of the thought. And lots of people do seem to care about that. Some are virulently against the promulgation of pernicious stereotypes, and others don't see what the problem is, deriding the sort of concern I've expressed as an example of PC-thought-police reasoning. I've met an awful lot of people who have the latter view, so am always a little nervous that that's what my expression of my stance will result in. If it doesn't, I'm very happy!  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: