TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:11:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WinTour 2013  (Read 91601 times)
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2013, 03:50:08 PM »

You forgot to add "with a Bodhran glued to his face"  Tongue  Grin

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2013, 12:44:21 AM »

Please read to the end of this post.
My real love of Fairport is based on '69 to '74 ish for far too many reasons to list here.
I have loved Cropredy fest for many yrs for many reasons.
I have loved the rock in folk rock and always liked Marts contribution.
I have sometimes been disappointed by the present line up of the band, a lack of energy, power etc and said so.
So to tonight at De Mont Hall
It may have been the set list or any other number of imponderables but I found myself really concentrating on the music.
Perhaps the first time I acknowledged this line up of the band without any reference to history.
At last yrs Cropredy I felt Fotheringay was still Sandy's song, a woman's song but tonight Simon and the band really nailed it, as he did WKWTTG, the best I have ever heard him sing it.
 The playing,all night, was spot on, great harmonies. I tend to watch Peggy and Gerry and they were both just playing wonderfully. Peggy playing lead lines. Yes, there are songs I wouldn't have in the set. That applies to almost any gig i've ever seen.  Yes it's a v relaxed laid back presentation but the song explanations and the songs were at the core of it.
Simon, played a lot of electric, huzzah (although I would have liked it further up the mix , picky moi?)
I took an American friend who had never heard Fairports before! He judged them on what he saw  and he loved it and bought CD's.
The last winter tour I saw was Babbacombe Lee, special but the band doing history.
Tonight I just sat and watched a band on very good form, a real balance of material, and enjoyed it immensely.
We go to De Mont a lot and it can be a special space. This was a special gig for me for many reasons and I wasn't expecting it.
Seen the present line up 16 times. This was the best.(imho)
If you're going, enjoy and Fake Thackray sets it up well. Buy his album. The man is going to have to buy a new liver!! (See his blog)
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2013, 08:31:07 AM »

I will be there with daughter Amy. Please say "Hi" if you spot us  Cheesy Tiara

Shirl your IM is full!
H (Heather Smith)
Protecting her modesty with mackerel

Loc: Derbyshire

« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2013, 09:35:11 AM »

Great review Hendo - really looking forward to Chesterfield now!

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2013, 09:37:11 AM »

Dave - "a band on very good form" - exactly what I said after Tewkesbury last week.
I doubt there's a better electric rhythm section playing live these days (and by that I mean Peggy, Gerry and Simon).  
A rock steady - yet so flexible - base for the melodies, harmonies & solos.
Bravo the chaps!  Grin

Flobbadob!
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2013, 10:01:50 AM »

Great review Hendo - really looking forward to Chesterfield now!

Cheers H. Enjoy.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »

Come on chasps, little bit of effort pleeeaaase!
I need your opinions of the Leicester and Leamington Spa gigs.
Suzanne
I have their verdicts in writing

"Mum" to Bentley's Ben and Barnaby

« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2013, 05:24:51 PM »

The Leamington Spa gig was superb in my opinion.  The venue has been substantially refurbished since I was last there and is extremely comfortable.

Lots of really awful jokes from Ric - one was so bad that it was absolutely brilliant.  Simon and Peggy were on fine form with the one-liners too.  The music was great; setlist has been posted elsewhere and, as I can't be bothered to search for the "spoiler" feature on here, I'll be cryptic.

Highlights for me included the really heavy rocking version of a morris tune close to my heart (as I live in the village where the poachers come from anyway), a really unexpected Swarb/Thompson composition which I don't actually recall hearing on any other Wintour (I expect I'll now be proved wrong), wondering whether there is a stringed instrument on this earth that Chris hasn't managed to learn to play, lots of songs on the theme of the sea, some old, some new, some borrowed... and the some blue were presented to us via Fake Thackray who I really enjoyed.  Such a nice chap too and is genuinely overwhelmed by the kindness of the band and the fans so far on this tour.

The person sat next to me was a Fairport virgin and was extremely impressed by the quality of their performance.  I found it extremely "together", the band enjoying themselves, a really well put-together setlist (courtesy of Mr Leslie I believe) and proof that you don't need gimmicks if you are competent.  The band may be in its 46th year but, in my opinion, they are sounding extremely strong.
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2013, 01:47:37 AM »

Please read to the end of this post.
My real love of Fairport is based on '69 to '74 ish for far too many reasons to list here.
I have loved Cropredy fest for many yrs for many reasons.
I have loved the rock in folk rock and always liked Marts contribution.
I have sometimes been disappointed by the present line up of the band, a lack of energy, power etc and said so.
So to tonight at De Mont Hall
It may have been the set list or any other number of imponderables but I found myself really concentrating on the music.
Perhaps the first time I acknowledged this line up of the band without any reference to history.
At last yrs Cropredy I felt Fotheringay was still Sandy's song, a woman's song but tonight Simon and the band really nailed it, as he did WKWTTG, the best I have ever heard him sing it.
 The playing,all night, was spot on, great harmonies. I tend to watch Peggy and Gerry and they were both just playing wonderfully. Peggy playing lead lines. Yes, there are songs I wouldn't have in the set. That applies to almost any gig i've ever seen.  Yes it's a v relaxed laid back presentation but the song explanations and the songs were at the core of it.
Simon, played a lot of electric, huzzah (although I would have liked it further up the mix , picky moi?)
I took an American friend who had never heard Fairports before! He judged them on what he saw  and he loved it and bought CD's.
The last winter tour I saw was Babbacombe Lee, special but the band doing history.
Tonight I just sat and watched a band on very good form, a real balance of material, and enjoyed it immensely.
We go to De Mont a lot and it can be a special space. This was a special gig for me for many reasons and I wasn't expecting it.
Seen the present line up 16 times. This was the best.(imho)
If you're going, enjoy and Fake Thackray sets it up well. Buy his album. The man is going to have to buy a new liver!! (See his blog)

I do endorse Dave's report . i did hear reports that the sound further up the auditorium was a bit poor .. Certainly looking at the stacks they seemed not as big as I have seen before but then again modern speakers are far more efficient than some so I am unsure . certainly from row E it was good . Sometimes Simons words were indistinct I feel this is a microphone issue and it doesn't always happen.  Because I know alll the words its no problem (though my friends noticed it) hmm I dunno how many times i have seen the lads in this line up it was good I do admit
Yess Fake Thackary was very good  a nice rendition of Jakes work and great playing by Steve his bassman
All in all it was well worth the expence of trip and hte opportunity to meet old friends . I am sorry I missed people  in the bar before the gig. I looked at faces  but there were many people ..It made me dizzy it'll have to be Cropredy please wear fez and tiara
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2013, 01:59:52 PM »

Great gig in Brighton (Old Brighton that is)
Lovely Regency church, packed, literally to the rafters. Rather odd that Gerry was completely hidden behind the banks of instruments though.
- and just a shame the beer ran out!
Thought Fotheringay and WKWTTG have settled down now and I tingled hearing Simon put his heart into them - thought they were a bit raw last year.
All in all a jolly good mixture of old and new - just makes you think what a fantastic back catalogue there is to dip in and out of.
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2013, 03:06:58 PM »

Arrived at the De Montfort auditorium just as the house lights were going down, but managed to shuffle our way into the middle of our row in the stalls before the action started.  Roll Eyes

Sorry to miss Hendo and Dave P. Bumped into Mark of Red Shoes with his lovely daughter Megan on the way out. Poor Carolyn was not well enough to attend unfortunately

Overall, I most enjoyable performance, but it seemed to lack a certain *bounce* in my opinion. I shall be seeing them again in Cardiff next month. Looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:18:23 PM by Neil » Logged

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Alan Arnold
n3wb

« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2013, 01:04:51 PM »

Disappointed there was no Brum gig this year and just viewed the spring tour venues to find nothing local either,  so will notbe seeing FC this year, let's hope the CD of 2012 does come out for May , if they're as  good as they were  on the spring tour and the Union Chapel concert it will be well worth getting. Hint to my wife for my birthday in May.
NeilR

Loc: Loughborough

« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2013, 12:27:24 AM »

There seems to be a shortage of photos from this years tour. Here's a few from Leicester.

Edit: Images removed. Do not 'hot link' or link to. They must only be attached. Colin
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2013, 11:07:50 AM »

Ooh - double bassists!  Wink

Flobbadob!
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2013, 11:35:04 AM »

Smashing pics Neil.  Cool

That's not dirt, it's patination!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2013, 11:40:17 AM »

Simon's diary.  http://forfolkssake.com/blog/20929/artist-blog-simon-nicol-of-fairport-convention-blogs-week-two-of-their-uk-tour

He does write well.  I hope he puts pen to paper in earnest sometime...now that would be a Fairport book worth buying.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2013, 03:06:58 PM »

What's all this business about click tracks on fotheringay that has the list having heart murmurations?

The Dude abides
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2013, 03:32:25 PM »

What's all this business about click tracks on fotheringay that has the list having heart murmurations?

Hi Jim, the FC list has got itself into a slight lather over v little imho.
At the De Mont show Simon announced that they would start Fotheringay with the recorded harmony overdubs they had used for the album. He was very upfront, to the extent of asking the guy on sound to push the red button. Again imho opinion it worked v well. As far as I was concerned it was the only time they used it. It was v obvious it was flown in cos band weren't even attempting to look as if they were singing it live.
It isn't a click track. At the risk of teaching my grannies a click track is simply a way of keeping a beat, a metronome effectively. Moon used one live for Baba O'Reilly. Nick Mason, halfway through Comfortably Numb at Live 8 takes off his headphones as he no longer needs a click track. etc etc
As far as I am concerned Fairports didn't use a click track. Fc list have just got their terminology confused.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2013, 03:33:54 PM »

Hi Jim, the FC has got itself into a slight lather over v little imho.
At the De Mont show Simon announced that they would start Fotheringay with the recorded harmony overdubs they had used for the album. He was very upfront, to the extent of asking the guy on sound to push the red button. Again imho opinion it worked v well. As far as I was concerned it was the only time they used it. It was v obvious it was flown in cos band weren't attempting to look as if they were singing it live.
It isn't a click track. At the risk of teaching my grannies a click track is simply a way of keeping a beat, a metronome effectively. Moon used one live for Baba O'Reilly. Nick Mason, halfway through Comfortably Numb at Live 8 takes off his headphones as he no longer needs a click track. etc etc
As far as I am concerned Fairports didn't use a click track. Fc list have just got there terminology confused.

cheers Dave, i can rest easy in my bed again Afro

The Dude abides
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »

Hi Jim, the FC list has got itself into a slight lather over v little imho.
At the De Mont show Simon announced that they would start Fotheringay with the recorded harmony overdubs they had used for the album.

Blimey - has Maart rejoined the band with some new technology. Anyone remember the "fabulous Parker (?) sisters?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: