TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:36:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2011 - Reviews  (Read 97005 times)
richardkendell

« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »

Got to disagree with the St Albans comments - thought it was a cracking show. It's a decent-sized hall, and there were certainly more people there than a couple of years back.
As for the support, I thought they were excellent. Astonishing guitar player and the fiddle player had great (if understated) presence.
As for the chaps... superb throughout. I used to think that Chris Leslie singing Renardine was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard, and I still do. But golly, his rendition of the Cell Song comes a very close second.

Well I thought Chris did a cracking job overall but I still think the audience was as thin on the ground (or thinner) as I have seen at the venue.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2011, 10:42:53 AM »

I agree, not the best support in recent years. Others on the list seem to have enjoyed them, I wonder if they were just having a bad night?

I cannot comment on St Albans, obviously, but their performance at Colchester did not fall into the manic, hyperactive category which we are so often subjected to these days.  It was more restrained, more measured and dare I say it more meaningful - quite refreshing really.  During the change over piece Kat and Ric shared some synchronised fiddling, leaning towards each other, eyes meeting, smiles exchanged - it was all good fun.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:00:38 AM by Katys Mum » Logged
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2011, 11:59:39 AM »

St Albans was defenitely less populated than I can recall in the ten+ years I've been attending there. In the past it has been a sell-out (or close to it).

Thought Kat & Jamie were ok, liked the song about her grandfather particularly.

BL was the highlight for me - when I bought the album originally I kicked myself for having passed on the original tour when I had the chance, so I've been waiting for this opportunity for the last 40 years, and I wasn't disappointed. For me it has lost none of its impact in the interim, and I have to agree that Chris's vocals were superb, ably backed up by the rest of the band.

Sadly for me, the second half left me cool, if not cold. I'm afraid none of the new material really grabbed me (although mostly being heard for the first time). So I'll probably pass on the CD.

I do, however, have to mention Simon's guitar playing, which in both halves impressed me no-end, I think he's sometimes underrated, which is a shame.

DC
scarabus (Kevin)

Loc: Hertfordshire

Cutting wood whenever convenient

« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2011, 12:04:55 PM »

Worth mentioning that Rui (of Rui's Guitar fame) was in the audience at St Albans and, naturally, got a special thanks from the stage.
But I'm afraid I don't follow the good Doctor's logic - didn't much like the new stuff because he hadn't heard the CD... so he won't be buying the CD? Hmmmm...

Loganberry jam is another kettle of fish
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #164 on: February 25, 2011, 12:28:57 PM »

Honourable mention for Rui's Guitar, which I did quite like (song and instrument).

To expand - I'm afraid the new material falls into the same category as the last two or three CDs (OTNH, SoA) (IMHO, of course) which I did buy but then didn't play after the first few listenings because there was other music I'd rather listen to. Currently I don't see much point in buying another CD of broadly similar material which is not going to please me sufficiently to want to listen to again and again. Illogical or not, it makes sense to me (especially as it's my money).

DC
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2011, 12:45:37 PM »

Honourable mention for Rui's Guitar, which I did quite like (song and instrument).

To expand - I'm afraid the new material falls into the same category as the last two or three CDs (OTNH, SoA) (IMHO, of course) which I did buy but then didn't play after the first few listenings because there was other music I'd rather listen to. Currently I don't see much point in buying another CD of broadly similar material which is not going to please me sufficiently to want to listen to again and again. Illogical or not, it makes sense to me (especially as it's my money).

DC

Oddly enough I was sort of the opposite. I thought the new stuff was pretty good live so I bought the CD only to feel a bit disappointed by it. Having said that, I still think two thirds of it are a step up from any of the other albums by the current line up.
scarabus (Kevin)

Loc: Hertfordshire

Cutting wood whenever convenient

« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2011, 01:59:20 PM »

Someone described the album as a parson's egg, and I guess that translates to the live renditions of the songs. Mercy Bay and Festival Bell work well, and Jack D's Reward is a real blast of instrumental glory. I even bought into Celtic Moon, which I don't much like on the record. But Darkside Wood and Cape Horn I could live without. Maybe playing Rising for the Moon would be an effective compromise between old and new...

Oh, and for those who were at St Albans... I've just heard that the queue for the gents is nearly finished. Never thought I'd regret supping a bottle of Old Speckled Hen, but blimey it was close...

Loganberry jam is another kettle of fish
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2011, 03:47:29 PM »

Someone described the album as a parson's egg

Or was it a curate's nose?  Wink
Andrew

Loc: Planet Earth

« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2011, 09:41:32 AM »

Exeter was really good last night.  I'd been looking forward to hearing Babbacombe Lee ever since I found out they were going to be playing it in it's entirety and I wasn't disappointed.  I think it also was made slightly more poignant by the fact that they were performing it in the city where the attempted execution took place. Chris' vocals were quite brilliant.  They thoroughly deserved the standing ovation at the end.

I enjoyed the second half and it was good to hear the new songs.  My only disappointment was that they didn't play Reunion Hill or Rising For The Moon.

Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into Stanley
FionaS

Loc: Margate

« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2011, 12:52:44 AM »

Amazing tonight in Margate. For me, there were three highlights: Celtic Moon, Rui's Guitar and Chris' voice throughout Babbacombe Lee. I don't understand why the original Danny Jack's has been abandoned. The original raw, drunken version was much better, and I think any 2010 recordings will go down as rare classics, e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AVXCfaJeV8. Lovely sound tonight, well done. I can't agree with some of the previous comments about Peggy's singing; I thought it was great. Kat and Jamie are very competent and will go far; they were an excellent support. Fairport, we'll so miss you next year but it's been a treat in the meantime - I hope Margate can entice you again somehow.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2011, 11:50:39 AM »

I don't understand why the original Danny Jack's has been abandoned.

Keeping it for the acoustic tour maybe.  I hope we get all the missed-out ones plus some old favourites as well.
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2011, 02:59:31 PM »

The lads were in top form in Margate last night! They really did the Babbacombe Lee album justice, and I thought Chris and Ric did a cracking job of doing Swarb's parts. I was also really impressed by Simon's Guitar playing. I suppose the real reason for this is the lack of Electric guitar in Fairport's set over the last couple of years. But the BL set has plenty, and Simon really proved how good a guitarist he is! The 'slick' transitions were, shall we say, very well rehearsed!

The second half was equally as blinding! Been listening to the new album for much of today, and I would probably say it's their best album release in about 20 years. Interestingly enough, I found a lot of it to be very reminiscent of 1980's/90's Fairport (particularly the instrumentals and Mercy Bay) and the pure energy that the band put into their performance shows how pleased they are as a group with the new material, and I was very pleased as well! It was interesting to see a straight version of Matty Groves, with no attached instrumental, I think it works well!

I came away from the show feeling most pleased, the most pleased I've been with a Fairport show since the Wintour '08!!!

Imponderable Joy
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »

Brilliant review Dan, I agree the Chaps at Margate were superb and it has jumped straight into my top 5 Fairport events and the new album definitely gets my thumbs up. The little Theatre in Margate is quite awesome and shall be quite missed, though I am looking forward to seeing them back at the new Marlowe next year.
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »

Fairport Convention, the Waterside, Aylesbury - 27th Feb.

It really doesn't get much better than this!

Great new venue, crystal clear sound from Simon Yorath and terrific performances from Kat, Jamie and the chaps. To borrow a quote from Simon, not only have Kat and Jamie raised the bar for Fairport support, but the band themselves seem to have moved up a gear on this tour.

Impossible to single out any individual or song for praise - all highlights from the opening All I've Known to the IKEA Matty which closed the second half.

Just a thought, as it seems common practice for shows to be recorded from the desk, what chance of a limited release (or download from the FC site) of the "new" Babbacombe Lee?

S&J
(Now really looking forward to the Birmingham gig.

KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2011, 10:26:43 AM »

what chance of a limited release (or download from the FC site) of the "new" Babbacombe Lee?

Very high chance. In fact, Simon and Ric confirmed it on Saturday night.

Grin Grin Grin

Imponderable Joy
H (Heather Smith)
Protecting her modesty with mackerel

Loc: Derbyshire

« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2011, 10:29:05 AM »

what chance of a limited release (or download from the FC site) of the "new" Babbacombe Lee?

Grin Grin Grin

Oh, fantastic news!  I shall look forward to that.

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »

Grin Grin Grin

Yes, we had a very broad hint from another band member last night... Wink

S&J
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2011, 05:25:45 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

Ooh! Which, though? CD or download?

KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2011, 07:08:46 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

Ooh! Which, though? CD or download?

They said they had recorded some of the shows from earlier in the tour, so most likely to be released on CD

Imponderable Joy
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2011, 07:31:15 PM »

Yippee!!

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: