TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:57:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2011 - Reviews  (Read 95829 times)
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #200 on: March 04, 2011, 11:36:29 PM »

A wonderful gig at Cardiff on Wednesday night. A front row seat in a warm theatre sure beats a damp cold field in Oxfordshire, which is where I last saw The Chaps.

Support act Katriona and Jamie were enjoyable enough, very competent musically of course, but I can't see myself buying their CD. Maybe I need to give them a few more "listens"?

I had been looking forward to this gig very much, particularly after reading so many wonderful reviews on this board. I was not disappointed. "Babbacombe Lee" was a real treat and, as others have already said, Chris Leslie did sterling work on both vocals and mandolin. His rendition of the poignant "Cell Song" moved me to tears. His voice seems to get better and better, and let's face it, it was pretty good in the first place.  Roll Eyes

We had a fair smattering of cringe-worthy jokes from Ric, but somehow he gets away with it! It must be that cheeky grin of his.  Grin Lots of great harmonies from Simon and Peggy and some terrific playing also.

I was delighted to discover how much I enjoyed many of the "Festival Bell" tracks during the second half. Particular faves are "Rui's Guitar", Danny Jack's Reward", "Albert and Ted" and the title track itself. Special mention must be made of "Celtic Moon", of course.  Wink I bought a copy of the album before the start of the show, but have not yet had a chance to listen to it from start to finish.

I thought the audience response was a tad muted at first, but by the middle of the second half they had really warmed up and gave The Chaps a (partial) standing ovation! (By that I don't mean they were partially standing but that only some stood up..........oh please yerselves.  Roll Eyes)

Managed to get some signatures in the bar afterwards. Thanks Chaps! What a wonderful night out.

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Ian W.
Not in my size, sweetcheeks

Loc: Leeds, West Yorks.

« Reply #201 on: March 04, 2011, 11:47:06 PM »

Anyone else still wearing theirs?

Yes, me.  Cheesy

'Those who dance will start to dance,
And those who drink will sway...'
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #202 on: March 05, 2011, 12:46:56 AM »

Anyone else still wearing theirs?

Yes, me.  Cheesy

Ditto!

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2011, 10:34:14 AM »

Support act Katriona and Jamie were enjoyable enough, very competent musically of course, but I can't see myself buying their CD. Maybe I need to give them a few more "listens"?

Managed to get some signatures in the bar afterwards. Thanks Chaps! What a wonderful night out.

I'd certainly recommend giving Kat & Jamie more of a listen. They have a bigger sound on their CDs due to contributions from other musicians. The downside of downloading albums is I have no idea who plays what on which track! But on their leaflet you might have picked up at the gig it names PJ Wright on pedal steel and Cia Cherryholmes on banjo.

Never seen the appeal of the whole autograph thing though I did get John Entwistle's at a music fair in London many years back. I happened to be passing as he sat down (promoting Rotosound strings or somesuch) so was first in line. As Henry Rollins said, the only time you should ask for someone's signature is when it's at the bottom of a cheque.  Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #204 on: March 05, 2011, 10:58:15 AM »

Shrewsbury last night? fantastic! Really on form! Loved the BL first half- agree with all that's been said. Jamie and kat were as fantastic as they always are. Second half- we escaped Ukulele central! Had a WKWTTG but no rising for the moon. Simon particularly seemed sad it was all ending tonight in Brum- Said how much he enjoyed the tour. Had a guest appearance from Maart for meet on the ledge- playing electric mando which was great to see!
 Grin Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #205 on: March 05, 2011, 04:12:52 PM »

Just leaving for Birmingham. Should be good.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2011, 02:06:36 AM »

It was good!!

Kat and Jamie were excellent, as Simon said, raising the bar for Wintour support acts. And, not satisfied with the rigors of a 6 week tour, have one of their own planned.

I enjoyed both of Fairport's sets - but the second more. Particularly memorable was Mercy Bay.

The surprise guest of the night was Swarb, on Rick's fiddle.

A well deserved standing ovation at the end.

The only down side - the staff seemed desperate to get everybody out afterwards.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #207 on: March 06, 2011, 11:46:30 AM »

Have to say that Brum was the best Wintour date I can remember for some time.
Due to car park payment issues, I missed the start of the Kat and Jamie set, but what I did catch was excellent.I'll make sure I catch them at Cropers, can't be hard as they play immediately after acoustic FC.Shame I couldn't see Jamie's lap guitar thing, as I was on the front row and there was a monitor wedge in the way.(Ditto Gerry).
B.L was awesome - I sure hope a live version is released as hinted elsewhere - and the second set confirmed that live music is where it's at - the album is great , but live everything cooks on full power.Plus stage invader extraodinaire The Swarb!
Chris kindly let me have his setlist which he'd had for all the dates on this tour, which all the chaps signed afterwards,this will be tucked into the plastic sleeve housing my vinyl copy of BL.
Thank you guys,see y'all in that field in august.

Well I never did..
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #208 on: March 06, 2011, 01:09:47 PM »

It was good!!

Kat and Jamie were excellent, as Simon said, raising the bar for Wintour support acts. And, not satisfied with the rigors of a 6 week tour, have one of their own planned.

I enjoyed both of Fairport's sets - but the second more. Particularly memorable was Mercy Bay.

A well deserved standing ovation at the end.

The only down side - the staff seemed desperate to get everybody out afterwards.

you would think they had homes to go to Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #209 on: March 06, 2011, 01:12:28 PM »

We will post a review when I've stopped grinning and having palpitations Grin Grin

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #210 on: March 06, 2011, 02:07:56 PM »

We will post a review when I've stopped grinning and having palpitations Grin Grin

C x
Sometime next year then! Grin

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #211 on: March 06, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »

Well we thought it was a great night out!

It started off well when we bumped into Swarb outside the venue on our way in - he was then given a name-check at the end of the BL set, and (as mentioned elsewhere) borrowed Ric's fiddle to join in on MOTL (Ric then borrowed Chris's fiddle, as Chris was on mando duty for that number.

For whatever reason (or reasons), the whole performance seemed much more together than at St Albans last week, for one thing the sound was much better balanced (whilst St A didn't seem bad at the time, hearing it done so much better in Brum made a real difference).

Still preferred the first half though, not greatly enthused by any of the new songs. Will await with much anticipation the release of the postulated new version of BL.

DC
Ian W.
Not in my size, sweetcheeks

Loc: Leeds, West Yorks.

« Reply #212 on: March 06, 2011, 11:02:55 PM »

Swarb will be relacing Ric when Ric retires at this rate.  Cheesy

'Those who dance will start to dance,
And those who drink will sway...'
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #213 on: March 07, 2011, 11:12:27 AM »

B.L was awesome - I sure hope a live version is released as hinted elsewhere - and the second set confirmed that live music is where it's at - the album is great , but live everything cooks on full power.

Pretty much sums up not only Saturday night but the whole tour !

Standing ovations at the end of BL, for the arrival on stage of Swarb and at the end of the show (to include Kat and Jamie) were all really well deserved.

Quite possibly the best Wintour we've seen.

S&J
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #214 on: March 07, 2011, 09:37:58 PM »

Birmingham, Saturday: without question, the best I've seen this line-up play; crisp, together, great sound and really challenging themselves - and therefore appearing to have a lot of fun.

The amount of rehearsal they must have done on BL and the new material has obviously given them a new edge.

BL was better than the original. Chris's singing was incredible. It's great to hear them play without slowing down to chat - the cumulative energy was terrific.

The new stuff in the second half was, well, the best new stuff I've heard for ages. . .the instrumentals were inventive, and the narrative songs really drove along.

Kat took her verse of MOTL beautifully and, I know I've said it before, but when there's a female vocalist in the band, it just looks and feels right.

And Mr Swarbrick ambling onto stage at the end was just the icing on the cake.

I've seen Fairport many, many times since 1970, and this was right up there with the best of them.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #215 on: March 08, 2011, 07:32:50 PM »

Forgot to mention Ric's thumb whilst playing some of the fills on the bass uke on Celtic Moon.I spent quite a long time on sunday trying to make mine go that fast, just couldn't do it.
I suspect that being of a jazz background,Mr Sanders has spent time in front of the mirror pretending to be Mark King of Level 42.
Or maybe not.

Well I never did..
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
Folkcorp Guru

The bass player's back !

« Reply #216 on: March 08, 2011, 08:06:28 PM »

We have a video of a song on the last night in Brum. Should we post it here or on youtube clips of interest Undecided

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #217 on: March 21, 2011, 05:46:37 PM »

We have a video of a song on the last night in Brum. Should we post it here or on youtube clips of interest Undecided

C x

Anywhere. Did you post it?
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
Folkcorp Guru

The bass player's back !

« Reply #218 on: March 22, 2011, 11:34:16 AM »

C x

Anywhere. Did you post it?

Someone put it up on FC related youtube stuff  Smiley

C x

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: