TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:26:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2011 - Reviews  (Read 96934 times)
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2011, 01:30:03 PM »

nice write up in the Birmingham post ahead of Saturdays gig
http://www.birminghampost.net/life-leisure-birmingham-guide/birmingham-culture/music-in-birmingham/2011/02/04/revisiting-the-past-with-fairport-convention-65233-28094911/

Interesting snippets like Peggy saying that "for Festival Bell we haven’t actually been in the studio at the same time"

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2011, 04:35:01 PM »

Frustratingly, can't view this, at least in the van.

Very disappointed with the headline though...

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »

Revisiting the past with Fairport Convention

Andy Coleman chats to folk rockers Fairport Convention about their upcoming tour

Something old, something new. That’s the theme of Fairport Convention’s current tour that visits Leamington Assembly on February 6 and Birmingham Town Hall on March 5.

The veteran folk-rockers will mark the 40th anniversary of their ‘‘folk opera’’ Babbacombe Lee by performing it in its entirety during the first half of the show.

The second half will then feature new material from forthcoming album Festival Bell.

‘‘Babbacombe Lee is something that we’re very proud of,’’ says bass player Dave Pegg. ‘‘When I think about it, I can’t imagine how it came about. We were 21 and 22-year-olds writing a folk opera. Most of it was written by Dave Swarbrick, our former violinist, but Simon Nicol, who’s still in the band, and I helped out quite a bit. Re-learning it has been fascinating stuff, it’s been really interesting.’’

The record tells the true story of 19th century murderer John ‘‘Babbacombe’’ Lee.

‘‘It was the first thing we did after Richard Thompson departed the band,’’ Dave, who was born in Acocks Green, Birmingham, recalls. ‘‘He and Dave Swarbrick had been the main songwriters and Dave finding this collection of old newspapers and suggesting we use it as the basis for an album really bought the four of us together because we immediately had subject matter that we could write about. It was a very unifying thing to do.

‘‘It was well received critically as a concept album at a time when The Who were doing Tommy and there were other types of conceptual albums around. But Babbacombe Lee wasn’t the most poppy story that you could have chosen. In typical Fairport commerciality it was a bit of a dark subject to make a musical album.

‘‘Over the past five years we’ve been taking individual songs from Babbacombe Lee and playing them during the set. It’s always gone down remarkably well but it’s quite difficult to take one song from the album and play it because it’s out of context.

‘‘But people have said we should have a look at it and do it again. We did once do it at the Cropredy Festival, around 15 years ago.

‘‘In 1970 albums only lasted 37 minutes so with extended bits we’re looking at around 45 minutes, which is always the length of our first half on the winter tour so it fits perfectly.’’

Fairport’s first line-up when they formed in 1967 was Richard Thompson, Simon Nicol, Ashley Hutchings, Shaun Frater and Judy Dyble.

Over the years personnel came and went, with the likes of Ian Matthews, Dave Swarbrick and Sandy Denny becoming part of Fairport history.

Dave Pegg was recruited in 1970 and has been a part of the set-up ever since.

He’s joined in the line-up by guitarist Simon Nicol, violinist Ric Sanders, multi-instrumentalist Chris Leslie and percussionist Gerry Conway.

Some of the new material, which will be showcased in the show’s second half, was inspired by the Fairport-organised Cropredy Festival which takes place every year in the Oxfordshire village.

‘‘The album’s title track, Festival Bell, is a song about a bell that was presented to the Cropredy church, St Mary’s,’’ Dave explains. ‘‘The church needed a bell renovating so a lot of people that come to our festival had a collection and we did a fundraising concert to boost the appeal.

‘‘The village kindly named the bell ‘The Fairport Convention Festival Bell’ so when our festival kicks off the bell is rung to signal the opening.

‘‘This year Fairport is going to be on the stage because we’re going to be opening the festival ourselves and when we hear the bell we’re going to sing Festival Bell.’’

Another new song, Albert and Ted, was penned by Dave and Solihull-born Ric.

‘‘Albert and Ted were the names of our fathers,’’ Dave reveals. ‘‘I first heard about Ric’s musical adventures when my dad, who was the caretaker at Hartfield Crescent school, met Ric’s dad, Ted Sanders, who was a teacher there. They got talking and it transpired that both their sons were musicians – and we finished up in the same band. The song is a little instrumental dedicated to our folks.’’

The album also contains a cover of Sandy Denny’s Rising For The Moon, which is the title track of Fairport’s 1975 LP.

Says Dave: ‘‘We like to occasionally do Sandy’s songs to help keep her memory alive, she was a remarkable singer and a great writer.’’

The Festival Bell album was recorded in a way that was new to Fairport Convention.

‘‘We’ve moved into modern technology, it’s a totally different way of working for us,’’ Dave laughs. ‘‘I’m 63 and I’ve been making records since I was 16 so we’re kinda old school in our approach to recording. The way we used to make records was to sit around, learn the song, then try and put it all down at the same time.

‘‘Now everything’s done separately and for Festival Bell we haven’t actually been in the studio at the same time. It was something I didn’t think would work but I’m amazed how successful it’s been.’’

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
richardkendell

« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2011, 05:01:59 PM »

What became of Shaun Frater?
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »

http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=32417.0

Quite a good article. Although I don't recall Babbacombe Lee being played 15 years ago, (someone will prove me wrong, no doubt) To my recollection it's nearer 30.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »

Quite a good article. Although I don't recall Babbacombe Lee being played 15 years ago, (someone will prove me wrong, no doubt) To my recollection it's nearer 30.  Smiley

13 Aug 1982...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
richardkendell

« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2011, 07:25:48 PM »

Thank you.
H (Heather Smith)
Protecting her modesty with mackerel

Loc: Derbyshire

« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2011, 08:42:27 AM »

Well it was an excellent night in Loughborough yesterday.  BL was fantastic, it was really something to hear it all the way through.  Instrument changes were tight, and tehre was (for me) a real feeling of the chaps being confident in the home strait of the tour.  I will echo the earlier praise for Peggy - some of you will know I'm not always the biggest fan of his voice, but last night he was superb.  Praise of course to Chris, who carried the whole thing with real flair.  As others have also said, it's great to see Simon on the electric a bit more.

Second half was more relaxed, with plenty of good form banter.  I loved the new material on CD, but live it really shone - somehow much 'rockier', and I wasn't the only one finding it hard to sit still!  Simon's clearly got a bit of a block going on with Mercy Bay, but he coped in fine style.

Praise also to the support - CD purchased!

All in all, excellent night - still bouncing!

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2011, 12:41:08 PM »

I loved the new material on CD, but live it really shone - somehow much 'rockier',

Having heard the new material live first, I thought the CD was a little 'clinical'.
Yes the CD is well recorded, but the channels do seem a little bit too well defined and separated. Especially in the instrumentals.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2011, 12:59:59 PM »

I loved the new material on CD, but live it really shone - somehow much 'rockier',

Having heard the new material live first, I thought the CD was a little 'clinical'.
Yes the CD is well recorded, but the channels do seem a little bit too well defined and separated. Especially in the instrumentals.

Wouldn't you expect that, as this was the first time all instruments were recorded at seperate times.

Paul

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2011, 01:27:42 PM »

Pink Floyd seemed to manage ok.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #191 on: March 02, 2011, 08:13:20 PM »

I'll echo H's review, a truly excellent night at Loughborough. I must admit I had my doubts whether Chris could carry BL, but he did a magnificent job. I like the new album, but live it took it to another plane. There's plenty of life in FC still. Enjoyed Kat & Jamie, though they did seem to have sound probs at the beginning.

Best gig of the year so far and going to be difficult to beat.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #192 on: March 02, 2011, 09:17:27 PM »

I'm taking the 'old man' tomorrow!

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #193 on: March 02, 2011, 11:52:17 PM »

Revisiting the past with Fairport Convention

Andy Coleman chats to folk rockers Fairport Convention about their upcoming tour

Thanks for reposting that in a van-friendly format. Better than the headline led me to expect but it don't make no matter anyway in the long run.
These kind of interviews get shared around within the band with the "oldest" members doing the majority, aso it's nice to have a peek over DP's shoulder on a thing like this...

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
trewin

« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2011, 09:57:47 AM »

I was at the Margate show on Saturday & I was impressed with Chris's vocals on BL he seemed to sing with a stronger voice than he does on his own songs.

The whole show was brilliant except Simon's electric guitar seemed to have been lost in the mix I could hardly hear it. Well done Kat & Jamie a good set.
folk fan jimmy

« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2011, 05:55:58 PM »

Going tomorrow, bought tickets more to see Kat and Jamie than FC if completely honest - but having just listened to Babbacombe Lee absolutely loved it so definitely looking forward to that hugely as well. Smiley
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2011, 07:58:15 PM »

Was at the Cardiff show last night - I loved the whole evening.  My 27 year old daughter (brought up on 'Red & Gold' and 'Jewel in the Crown' on the car cassette player) was with me as well.  She doesn't really know 'Babbacombe Lee' and hasn't heard the new album yet, so I was wondering how it would go, considering the 2nd half was 99% 'Festival Bell' songs.  - she was a bit bewildered at first, but she thoroughly enjoyed the show.  

Fairport took a risk, but it paid off.  Jamie and Kat were excellent too.  I love the way he plays the guitar on his lap and does the percussion parts as well.  Excellent evening.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2011, 01:37:17 AM »

Dad loved it - and the chaps were great to him - at Milton Keynes tonight. Grin

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Swamp Donkey (Keith)

Loc: Bedfordshire

« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2011, 12:36:40 PM »

I was also at the MK gig yesterday. The Chaps were on fine form but I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said before (this late on into the tour), it was all good.

I was spellbound by the support act, Katriona Gilmore & Jamie Roberts, who I thought were brilliant.

All in all, a wonderful evening. Smiley

Well it's turned out nice again!
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2011, 12:41:25 PM »

Going tonight Can't wait! just wondering if I can get the guys to sign my cropredy wristband i am still wearing  Shocked but I don't think there is enough space on it! Anyone else still wearing theirs?

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: