TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:38:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2011 - Reviews  (Read 96969 times)
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« on: January 29, 2011, 09:32:36 AM »

First night in Tewkesbury went really well. Chris played a blinder in the first half. Anyone familiar with BL should not be disappointed & those coming to it new are in for a real treat.  Some slightly rough transitions, but that between "Sailor's Alphabet" & "John Lee" was seamless. I'd have been happy going home at the end of the set.  As expected, lots of material from "The Festival Bell" in part two, some of which is instantly appealing, some may take a few listens, but overall good fun & proficient as would be expected. If they played this well on day one, by the end of the tour it should be faultless. Simon provided a very nice "WKWTTG", before a coda-less "Matty" & "Ledge" for dessert. Great venue, great crowd, great set & great start to the tour.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 12:32:57 PM »

Totally agree with everything Ian has said, the chaps certainly got off to a flying start last night. The show was quite different from that which we have recently grown accustomed, where FC as a band have in the main remained within a certain comfort zone, performing material which both they and the audience have been familiar.

The BL set was performed with equal measures of both power and passion, complex certainly but it also really rocked. The transitions proved a little awkward at times but they will become slicker with practice.

The second set in the main showcased the new material from Festival Bell, like the BL set, this too was the first time the band had played the majority of these tunes in front of an audience, so it must have been incredibly stressful. Their ability to memorise that much new information gets my absolute admiration, (I can't remember my phone number) It's no exaggeration to say they did a fantastic job.

The best analogy I can think of is that of the swan, all was serenity and calmness on the surface, one can only imagine and be full of admiration for all the hard work they must have endured to make it work so seamlessly.

The guys can be very proud of this performance and the really exciting thing is, when they become more familiar with the material, they will get even better.

I wish them every success on this their annual winter excursion around our fair isle, catch them if you can.
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:59:19 AM »

Well I have a long wait until March 2nd to see this tour in Cardiff - but my appetite has certainly been whetted. Bring it on!  Grin  A close watch will be kept on this thread in the meantime.  Roll Eyes

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 08:19:34 AM »

But at least we'll get the lads even more well-rehearsed and tighter than a tight thing.... Grin
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 08:30:23 AM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 10:49:14 AM »

I will see the last gig of the tour in Birmingham and can´t wait to see a brilliant show.
Enjoy the tour.  Kiss
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 12:00:23 PM »

Last night at Hayes was an unexpected bonus. A first aid course finished early and there were still tickets  Smiley

Babbacombe Lee was a delight, although there was confusion in the audience as to whether to applaud between numbers. The Chaps did introduce it as a single piece and I think were expecting to treat it as such. A brief indication in the intro might help. The performance itself stood out, not just for the pleasure of hearing this seminal work live, but also for the harmonies between the three singers and for Simon playing his Strat rather more than has been the norm in the last few years.

I hadn't listened to The Festival Bell before the gig, although some songs were familiar from having an airing at Cropredy. After hearing the selection that was played last night I'm rather looking forward to giving the album its first airing.

I particularly enjoyed the fact that apart from the usual Matty and MOTL, the entire set was songs that have not previously surfaced on a wintour (or perhaps the odd song from Babbacombe Lee has). Stand out favourites from this listener were Around The Wild Cape Horn, with its power and foreboding and the delightful tune Albert & Ted. It was also great to hear the Fairport treatment of Mark & Caz's Celtic Moon.

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 12:07:12 PM »

I particularly enjoyed the fact that apart from the usual Matty and MOTL, the entire set was songs that have not previously surfaced on a wintour (or perhaps the odd song from Babbacombe Lee has). Stand out favourites from this listener were Around The Wild Cape Horn, with its power and foreboding and the delightful tune Albert & Ted. It was also great to hear the Fairport treatment of Mark & Caz's Celtic Moon.

Ah, but do we get Danny Jack's Reward? I bet we don't, but my son and I would both love to hear it live!
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 12:48:53 PM »

Ah, but do we get Danny Jack's Reward? I bet we don't, but my son and I would both love to hear it live!

Yes, Ric does perform his latest cosmic offering Danny Jack's Reward and if you like that, I reckon you'll also enjoy Ric & Peggy's, Albert & Ted.

Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 12:50:04 PM »

Yes, Ric does perform his latest cosmic offering Danny Jack's Reward and if you like that, I reckon you'll also enjoy Ric & Peggy's, Albert & Ted.

Fantastic news! Thanks Martin!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 04:08:14 PM »

Here's one - http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/fairport-convention

I am really pleased to hear that a large chunk of the new album is getting an airing as, after all, there are an awful lot of laurels that it would have been very easy to rest upon.  

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 04:22:14 PM »

I am really pleased to hear that a large chunk of the new album is getting an airing as, after all, there are an awful lot of laurels that it would have been very easy to rest upon.  

Re: the audience "Grey beards were much in evidence, and I suspect very few will see 50 again. Happy, smiling folkies of a certain age."  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
H (Heather Smith)
Protecting her modesty with mackerel

Loc: Derbyshire

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 05:38:52 PM »

Re: the audience "Grey beards were much in evidence, and I suspect very few will see 50 again. Happy, smiling folkies of a certain age."  Grin

Surely by definition no one will ever see 50 again...

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 06:56:40 PM »

A little late, and I can only echo Ian & Martin's comments about Tewkesbury - band in good form, full house, good atmosphere, JBL was excellent (BTW, I wonder whose voices are used for the intro & reading?)  Good to see Simon playing the Strat!

A couple of minor slips in the new pieces, but hey - first time out for some of them - and to the chaps' great credit, these pieces are not easy to play.  Bravo to all - and a hearty well done to the sound guys - from seat D5 the sound was really good.

Another great calegramme (or is is progendar?) this year; amazing to see 2 pics of Simon 40 years apart at Ainsdale & Crosby (which incidentally are more like 10 miles apart, not 3!) - so at least 2 of us at Tewkesbury were at both those gigs...

If you haven't got a ticket for this tour, I recommend you get one.  Soon!

Flobbadob!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 08:29:58 PM »

any chance of a set list?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 08:31:51 PM »

any chance of a set list?

I reckon I can manage the First Half for you...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 09:11:45 AM »

(BTW, I wonder whose voices are used for the intro & reading?)  

I believe the judge is the voice of David Hill (no, not the Slade fella), actor. Don't know about the female journalist.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 09:37:22 AM »

I believe the judge is the voice of David Hill (no, not the Slade fella), actor. Don't know about the female journalist.

female journalist?

The Dude abides
Neil67

Loc: Chesterfield ,Derbys

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »

female journalist?

Yes, for some reason the spoken word news report preceding Breakfast In Mayfair was performed by a woman rather than the original being used. No idea who it was, though- Jan Leeming maybe?
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 12:51:25 PM »

I believe the judge is the voice of David Hill (no, not the Slade fella), actor. .

I suspect that is  the guy who used to be in Eastenders who is a friend of someone in Steeleye? He was at Cropredy the last time that they played.
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 01:20:47 PM »

A little late, and I can only echo Ian & Martin's comments about Tewkesbury - band in good form, full house, good atmosphere, JBL was excellent (BTW, I wonder whose voices are used for the intro & reading?)  Good to see Simon playing the Strat!

A couple of minor slips in the new pieces, but hey - first time out for some of them - and to the chaps' great credit, these pieces are not easy to play.  Bravo to all - and a hearty well done to the sound guys - from seat D5 the sound was really good.

Another great calegramme (or is is progendar?) this year; amazing to see 2 pics of Simon 40 years apart at Ainsdale & Crosby (which incidentally are more like 10 miles apart, not 3!) - so at least 2 of us at Tewkesbury were at both those gigs...

If you haven't got a ticket for this tour, I recommend you get one.  Soon!

Another late message from Tewkesbury... Wink

Very little to add to comments above, other than to mention the set by Katriona and James. No disrespect to any of the musicians involved, but some of the "openers" in recent years have taken a while to settle. This duo were up to speed from the first note and they had some pretty strong material to play. Coupled with BL, musically probably the best first half we've seen for many a year...we'd also have been happy to go home at the interval !  Having said that, the second half was equally as good, with, as others have noted, lots of new material making its first live appearance.....Danny Jack's Reward (should be Revenge!!) is brilliant !!

Thoroughly enjoyable evening (and a couple more to look forward to ... Smiley )

S&J

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: