TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:33:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour Spoliers  (Read 77864 times)
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2008, 10:48:43 AM »

any chance of some set lists being posted so we can get an idea of what changes are being made night on night and build up a picture of the overall reportoire this tour.

The programme is£4, t-shirt £15, long-sleeve same £20.

interestingly we paid £3.50 for the programme!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2008, 12:14:39 PM »

Just about the same set list - from Jamesiegang - at the Stables last night, although WKWTTG replaced Hiring Fair Smiley.

For me, it felt a really well thought out, balanced set, with some (technical term here) welly Grin, and some surprises. It varied from the wistfulness of the Rosehip, through the Babbacome Lee songs (which still feel fresh and dynamic however many years on) to the power of Wat Tyler (IMO), the compelling version of Reynardine and the fun of the musical 'duels'.

A bloomin' good night - and I'm very glad I've got tix for 2 more gigs. If you haven't got tickets, go get them, this is really Fairport on form  Grin Grin Grin

And I have to disagree with Mr Nicol - it wasn't 'fine', it was b****y great. Thanks chaps Kiss

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Grace

Loc: Oxfordshire

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2008, 12:40:33 PM »

Still quite on a high from last night at Wavendon Stables! One of the best in recent times  
( recent being 10 - 12 years+). All on top form, sound was perfect  
apart from being a little loud at times.  Set list was a re-run of the Huddersfield gig,
Will post an (incomplete) list if you want to know

Highlights for me: CL's Reynadine which had  
the hairs standing up on the back of my neck, Wat Tyler and  the  
Babbacombe Lee mini-set as well Rosehip and Mock Morris.
Must say a few words about Anthony John Clarke, first saw him at  
Banbury Folk weekend and thought at the time that he would make a good  
opener for the winter tour, he then did Crops, but the large and  
distant audience didn't really suit him.  The intimacy of the smaller  
Wintour venues is perfect for him, and he did a very good short set,  
switching from humuorous stories and songs to poignant ballads.....  
Don't miss him, I thought that he was very good and have bought a  
couple of his CD's.
Really looking forward to seeing them again at the end of the tour.

Grace
Shameless FolkRocker

Loc: The depths of South Derbyshire

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2008, 07:28:49 PM »

Always a great crowd at the Winding Wheel in Chesterfield though!!

I think we should stand up and go for it Jen Cool

If it wasn't for the last minute.....nothing would get done!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2008, 07:50:51 PM »

After you Sparky!!

Grin Grin Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2008, 07:32:23 AM »

Back from Winchester - can't really add much other than amazing set list, and worth the ticket price just to hear the songs from Babbacombe Lee live. Reynardine was also an unexpected gem - I don't really like the L&L version, but last night it was sublimely vibrant!

It just gets better and better....!

Adam
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2008, 11:56:44 AM »

Golly, I was delighted with the set we saw in TWells, but this one is so different - and even more of my old faves - I haven't heard End of the Holiday since...
Looks like I may brave Croydon after all!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2008, 11:40:02 AM »

Wow, as said before, the best wintour gig I've been to. Everyone was on fine form and it was just great. As much as I love the Happy Man, it's not a set opener; How Many Times should have stayed in. Doctor of Physik was great, and I hope it stays in the set for a frew more years. Really liked the Rose Hip, one I've heard of, but not heard (apart from me playing it badly on the mandolin! lol). It was beautiful. Then the great My Love is In America, one of my favs. Reynardine was incredible. Cambridge Corn Exchange is a big hall (and has **** acoustics) and a big space to fill. By golly did Chris do that. I've never heard him sing with such emotion, such power and such drive. The whole thing was so majestic and big (if that made any sense). I can't wait to hear it at Cropredy. Simon then proceeded to do a very long intro to the Wood and the Wire, then forgot how it started, then rambled on about counting himself in. Then we had the Mock Morris 90, which was great. I would have liked to see Chris (or anyone for that matter) dance this!!!  Shocked

The other half opened with Keep on Turning the Wheel. I would have prefered something else, but hey Smiley. Then Wat Tyler. Wat can I say (sorry, I couldn't help it) I really enjoyed this. I don't think it missed the keyboards, but I'm abit anyoned Edmund wasn't brought on for this. Then another highlight came next. Two Peggy tunes. Swirling Pit was great, but Jams O'Donnell's Jigs were much, much better. Ric fiddle solo with full effects pedals, disortion and all, was fanastic. Pretty Damn Cosmic!!  Wink The Babbacombe Lee set was amazing too. Three of my favourite tracks from the album. Breakfast in Mayfair was great, but my highlight was Cell Song. Just Ric, Simon and Chris. Sublime. The fiddle/mandolin bit was lovely, and again Chris's vocals were just right. The little a cappella bit near the end was like having CBS there. Harmonies were just right. Hanging Song was rocking!! I think it was the way that Chris sang them but for the first time, I 'got' Cell Song, Hanging Song and Reynardine. Very special. Then another treat in the Eynsham Poacher. Peggy got Chris and his brother John mixed up. "I wish you'd told me earlier"  Grin Then into Matty, End of a Holiday to start, Bowman's Reatreat to finish. Great.

Best Wishes was lovely, including the bit where Peggy played the tamborine and Gerry plucked the bass strings!! I don't know what the hell they were doing??!! MOTL was brilliant, and for the first time, I could hear Edmund playing  Smiley All in all a very good evening. Nice to meet Delphini, JJ and Martin Driver. Only three gripes. 1) The sound was very muddy, but that's the buiding's fault. 2) Ushering people in mid song got VERY annoying  Angry 3) A lady on the front row who, for her own reasons, decided to do a mix of standing up, clapping along, and expressive dance. It takes all I suppose. Oh, and one other gripe. WE WE WERE SITTING DOWN!!!!! I wished they'd go back to the half sitting/half standing. Oh well. All in all, a bloody good night.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2008, 12:29:01 PM »

I agree with Ollie about the acoustics at the Corn Exchange - one of the reasons we never went back.  The other was a parking problem.  We took the VW Camper and couldn't get into the multistory next door and ended up at Park and Ride.

Really looking forward to Doctor of Physick, Wat Tyler, Jams/James O'Donnell's/O'Donnel's Jigs or anything else they care to do.  End of a Holiday intro to Matty is my favourite.  Roll on next Saturday! Grin

Chris dancing?  Now that would be a treat!  While playing his instrument?  Still, Simon Care does it and he's great! Cheesy

Good review, Ollie - can sense your excitement!  In fact, this tour is turning out to be very EXCITING!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 12:41:53 PM by Katys Mum » Logged
Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2008, 12:38:57 PM »

I agree about the Corn Exchange - and making you sit down.  Angry
How full was it?

A few years ago they did the Junction instead - the sound's better, the atmosphere's better, and they don't make you sit down. Seems to be the venue of choice for most bands these days.

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2008, 04:34:34 PM »

Chris dancing?  Now that would be a treat!  While playing his instrument?  Still, Simon Care does it and he's great! Cheesy

There are two clips on youtube of Chris doing just that. I was being a bit sarcastic about the Mock Morris. I tried to do the stepping in my seat whilst they were playing - it's bloody fast!!

I agree about the Corn Exchange - and making you sit down.  Angry
How full was it?

A few years ago they did the Junction instead - the sound's better, the atmosphere's better, and they don't make you sit down. Seems to be the venue of choice for most bands these days.

I would say about 3/4 full, but I could only see downstairs, dunno about the balcony. I would like to see them at the Juctions (possible acoustic gig thsi year?) although I think the band favour the Cornex because it's bigger.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2008, 05:12:53 PM »

I was being a bit sarcastic about the Mock Morris. I tried to do the stepping in my seat whilst they were playing - it's bloody fast!!

Sorry, I thought you were being ironic.

A few weeks ago one of the Y6 boys in my class asked me if I was being sarcastic.  There was astonishment in his voice, I'm glad to say.  I told him no, I was being ironic.  "What's that?" he asked.  "Sarcasm without the nastiness," I replied. "Great!  I'm going to be ironic from now on."  And he has been Roll Eyes

They rarely play morris tunes at normal speed!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2008, 05:18:05 PM »

I was being a bit sarcastic about the Mock Morris. I tried to do the stepping in my seat whilst they were playing - it's bloody fast!!

Sorry, I thought you were being ironic.

A few weeks ago one of the Y6 boys in my class asked me if I was being sarcastic.  There was astonishment in his voice, I'm glad to say.  I told him no, I was being ironic.  "What's that?" he asked.  "Sarcasm without the nastiness," I replied. "Great!  I'm going to be ironic from now on."  And he has been Roll Eyes

Well I was being one of the two....

Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2008, 05:24:53 PM »

Be whatever you want to be, Ollie.  Take no notice of me.  Just keep writing those great reviews for us. Smiley
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2008, 07:43:06 PM »

Set list from Pontardawe

1st half
How many times
Happy Man
Genesis Hall
Banks of the sweet primroses
South Dakota to Manchester
Journeymans Grace
Eynsham Poachers
Mock Morris

2nd half
Rocky Road
Reynardine
Instrumental 85/Wise Maid
Breakfast In Mayfair
Cell Song
Hanging Song
Who knows
Hawkswood's Army
Matty Groves/Bowmans Retreat

Encores
Best Wishes
Meat & Two Veg  Wink

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2008, 09:18:39 AM »

Set list from Pontardawe

1st half
How many times
Happy Man
Genesis Hall
Banks of the sweet primroses
South Dakota to Manchester
Journeymans Grace
Eynsham Poachers
Mock Morris

2nd half
Rocky Road
Reynardine
Instrumental 85/Wise Maid
Breakfast In Mayfair
Cell Song
Hanging Song
Who knows
Hawkswood's Army
Matty Groves/Bowmans Retreat

Encores
Best Wishes
Meat & Two Veg  Wink

Looks like the best set list so far - lucky old Andy, worth moving to Wales eh?
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2008, 09:22:30 AM »

I think that was the set list we had at Tunbridge Wells.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2008, 12:09:14 PM »

( 3) A lady on the front row who, for her own reasons, decided to do a mix of standing up, clapping along, and expressive dance. It takes all I suppose.

Just to add to your comment

I was three seats away from her. It was her first time seeing Fairport and she was absolutely entranced by the music.  Grin She was also somewhat relaxed. Roll Eyes Her boyfriend was doing a valiant job of trying to keep her in her seat but didn't always succeed.  Roll Eyes  Lips Sealed I had a chat with him at the interval and he was very worried about it. Ok, it was a bit of a distraction, but I chose to smile at her enjoyment, rather than be irritated, so it didn't spoil my whole evening.  I really felt for her boyfriend though - he did try.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
SymonC

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2008, 08:06:18 PM »

I think that was the set list we had at Tunbridge Wells.

Indeed it was and it was brilliant! Smiley
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2008, 08:24:54 PM »

I could have done without Reynardine. Something lively would have gone down quite well for me then.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: