TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:05:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour Spoliers  (Read 77823 times)
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 09:56:41 PM »

Holy shhhhhh......!  Shocked

That's a pretty cool darn set list!!  

Some bees must have gotten in them boys bonnets!!! Grin
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 10:29:28 PM »

Indeed, the set listr from Tewkesbury was identical - the three B-Lee numbers being Breakfast in Mayfair (wot Simon wrote), theCell Song & Te Hanging Song.

MOTL is on theset list, but I guess some nights will finish on Best Wishes.

I'm looking foirward to the 'spot the difference' competition!!

SymonC

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008, 12:12:42 AM »

Indeed, the set list from Tewkesbury was identical - the three B-Lee numbers being Breakfast in Mayfair (wot Simon wrote), theCell Song & Te Hanging Song.

MOTL is on the set list, but I guess some nights will finish on Best Wishes.

I'm looking forward to the 'spot the difference' competition!!

Just got back from the Tunbridge Wells, same set list but we got Best Wishes AND Meet On The Ledge for the encore!

We very nearly didn't go this year as we were very disappointed with Fairport last year but we bought tickets at the last minute after reading the posts on here, and are we glad that we did!

Absolutely brilliant set list!
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2008, 01:27:26 AM »

Wonderful evening at Tunbridge Wells - highlights for me were Chris's rendering of Reynardine which was amazing also great to hear a few from Babbacombe Lee - (as that is the point I joined listening to Fairport).... and an amusing moment with one of Simon's usuals of starting the song wrong.  

Venue is not my favorite - crappy seats and what I consider really rude, ushers showing people arriving late to their seat in the middle of songs.
SymonC

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2008, 10:13:36 AM »

Venue is not my favorite - crappy seats and what I consider really rude, ushers showing people arriving late to their seat in the middle of songs.

Fully agree! Whatever happened to "latecomers will not be admitted until a suitable break in the performance"

I also missed all of Ric's introduction of the support act because of latecomers. Surely people know what time the concert starts! Rant over!
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2008, 04:36:20 PM »

Right!  Now for some spoliers!

Spolier number one.  There's a quiz.  As is often the case with Fairport's non-musical performances, it's a bit disorganised.  (But don't you just love them for that?!)  So you had better swot up on your history - songs, albums and dates.  On second thoughts don't bother, they don't know the answers themselves! Wink

PEGGY:  This next song is from an album called Rosie.  It's called Banks Of The Sweet Primroses.
SIMON:  Are you sure?  Isn't it on Tippler's Tales or something?

As you all know, it was on Angel Delight.  Daughter whispered it to me at the time but being like her mother, (reserved like) she couldn't bring herself to shout it out.  (CLEVERCLOGS, ESSEX - a disembodied voice from a well known TV quiz.)

Spolier number two.  The house lights are kept on.  We found it a bit disconcerting at first but soon got used to it.  I had a chat with the (very nice) manager at the interval.  He told me that it was at the band's request - so they can better see their audience and engage with them more.  I think it will work - just maybe not at Tunbridge Wells!  We weren't a particularly responsive audience, I'm afraid.  Too polite.  (NICEBUTSHY, CANTERBURY - that voice again)

Spolier number three.  Your starter for ten:  which member plays an electric guitar solo and makes it look like he's been doing it on every tour for the past forty years?  (YES! REALLY!)

There's another spolier in there somewhere, but you'll have to search it out for yourself.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 04:47:08 PM by Katys Mum » Logged
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 07:22:52 PM »

PEGGY:  This next song is from an album called Rosie.  It's called Banks Of The Sweet Primroses.

As you all know, it was on Angel Delight.  

This isa piss-take on a silly punter in Tewkesbury, who insisted it was on TipplersTales! Wouldn't have it any other way....immortalised in a Fairport Quiz.

Spolier number two.  The house lights are kept on.  We found it a bit disconcerting at first but soon got used to it.  I had a chat with the (very nice) manager at the interval.  He told me that it was at the band's request - so they can better see their audience and engage with them more.  I think it will work - just maybe not at Tunbridge Wells!  We weren't a particularly responsive audience, I'm afraid.  Too polite.

How did anthony John Clarke fare with hischoruses then? Did anyone sing?

SymonC

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2008, 07:59:19 PM »

How did Anthony John Clarke fare with his choruses then? Did anyone sing?

Yes they did!  We thought he was very good and bought one of his CD's after the show  Smiley

Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2008, 08:23:30 PM »

I reckon more people joined in with Anthony John Clarke's choruses than Meet On The Ledge.

I really warmed to him.  Songs not outstanding but very pleasant.  Good jokes too Smiley
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2008, 08:42:24 PM »

Spolier number two.  The house lights are kept on.  We found it a bit disconcerting at first but soon got used to it.  I had a chat with the (very nice) manager at the interval.  He told me that it was at the band's request - so they can better see their audience and engage with them more.  I think it will work - just maybe not at Tunbridge Wells!  

Oh! I really hope they don't do that in Worthing. The audience there is always somewhat unresponsive and repressed. And I fear the number of empty seats. I am really looking forward to the gig but I always feel a bit embarrassed about the prevailing apathy of Worthing crowds.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2008, 09:10:28 PM »

Always a great crowd at the Winding Wheel in Chesterfield though!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Neil67

Loc: Chesterfield ,Derbys

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2008, 09:24:08 PM »

Always a great crowd at the Winding Wheel in Chesterfield though!!

Too jolly well right we are!! We'll dance the night away if there are lights on us!! Something to do with the proximity of The Peaks and the prevailing wind! Wonder if we'll get treated to the "alternative" Sailor's Alphabet at the WW?
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2008, 10:25:47 PM »

No way Neil.. it's a family show!!

Grin Grin Wink

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2008, 12:53:28 AM »

Stafford was good, even though I'm somewhat deaf and everything is bassy. Hearing just the fundamental from the fiddles was ... odd.

A full house who were obviously enjoying the gig.

I was particularly struck by Chris's vocals for Reynardine. It has always been one of my favourites.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2008, 09:14:27 AM »

Fabtastic time last night in stafford hadn't read this spoilers page so the John Lee stuff was an absolute suprise and treat! the lads were really on form and the set list as described elsewhere here was one of the best I've heard. Ended with MOTL thank goodness or my 9 year old would have cried! Well she did anyway but it would have been  with upset and not pure joy. Chris really did the Lee songs justice if you'll forgive the pun! And his Renardine was sublime. One of the best Fairport gigs i have ever seen. Well done lads!  

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2008, 10:59:23 AM »

Excellent night. Probably the best non-Cropredy set list for a long time. And a bit more electric guitar too!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2008, 01:28:24 PM »

As above (or should it be before?) TWells was a fabulous evening all round, although I couldn't believe no one else seemed to be singing along loudly at the end; my seat was bouncing around (sorry to the bloke next to me)
The best mixture of old and new for a long time, I kept nudging No1 daughter who has been Cropredying since she was 5  -you'll like this oldie, before your time, but it rocks!
Reminded me why I loved them 40 years ago, and what's so special about them today.
Hmm. maybe I could get to Croydon???
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2008, 06:00:43 PM »

As you all know, it was on Angel Delight.  

This isa piss-take on a silly punter in Tewkesbury, who insisted it was on TipplersTales! Wouldn't have it any other way....immortalised in a Fairport Quiz.

Chris, being a relative newcomer to Fairport (1998) I am unfamiliar with a Fairport Quiz and have been unable to find out anything about it.  Please can you enlighten me?

Also, can you reference these two for me?

DP introduces the three from Babbacome Lee and claims they were recorded in 1974.  SN, faking concealment from the audience and with exaggerated gesture, holds up two fingers and mimes the word "TWO" in DP's direction. Grin

Ric announces Journeyman's Grace and asks which album it comes from.  A member of the audience calls out, "Angel Delight" and with a shrug of his shoulders, Ric replies, "Probably!"  Grin
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2008, 01:24:53 PM »

They're just making fun out of the general inability to remember which album was recorded in which year, and the contents of each - as exposed by a punter that got it wrong in Tewkesbury.

Just a bit of fun, I reckon.

johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2008, 02:45:47 PM »

What a concert last night. I enjoyed every second of it. Reynardine had me in tears.  It was the best Wintour gig I saw for ages.
The audience was a bit shy and it was not sold out, but the music was superb.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: