TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:51:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour Spoliers  (Read 77964 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2008, 11:39:01 PM »

So, that is Worthing safely negotiated. As feared, the venue was only half full but at least the audience was pretty responsive by the standards of the postcode!

The set list was as posted by Andy from a couple of nights back so there does not seem to be a lot of variation from show to show. Nevertheless the band seemed to be enjoying themselves, Simon in particular. Peggy was revelling in having his grandson, Austin, in the audience, sitting across the aisle from me as it happens, when he was sitting. Mostly he was running around the auditorium or up to the stage to wave at his grandad, activities which were indulged more charitably by the audience once his lineage was revealed.

The "what album is this from" joke seems to be snowballing and is now repeated frequently throughout the show. As for the music, it was great to hear How Many Times again after such a long absence. For me it is one of two songs from Richard Thompson's solo career where I actually prefer the Fairport versions. The biggest cheers were garnered by Journeyman's Grace and WKWTTG. The Babacombe Lee trilogy received a strangely muted response, exposing the lack of familiarity of the audience with the material I suspect. Even so, Hanging Song was an absolute highlight for me. Chris's phrasing was so perfect that if you closed your eyes it could have been Swarb. That is in no way to diminish Chris's own considerable personality as a singer but for this song he was definitely and rightly channeling its author.

Two criticisms only (and it seems a little churlish to make them). In digging back into some less expected parts of their back catalogue, the songs that remain representing the current line up are not, for me, their best. I have never been that fond of either South Dakota or Rocky Road but I guess it is all a matter of personal taste. The second criticism is more a slight case of mystification really. Having just played electric guitar on The Eynsham Poacher, Simon switched to acoustic for Mock Morris 90, thereby denying it some of the power of the recorded version. I can't really understand why he did that but it is a minor quibble. Finally it is a great new arrangement of Matty Groves, though problems with the tuning on Simon's guitar thwarted the full End Of A Holiday intro.

So a good show then, though maybe not quite the radical departure from recent Wintours that I was expecting. I would like to have seen it in a fuller venue with better acoustics but I don't think I will be getting to any further gigs on this tour. I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed. I think the Babacombe Lee songs will go down a storm at Cropredy. It would be nice if they extended the segment for the festival to incorporate a few more songs from the album.  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 11:55:48 PM by GubGub » Logged
Les Worrall

Loc: Market Rasen - Lincolnshire

« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2008, 11:40:35 AM »

Is there a support act on at all?

if so, who is it?

Many thanks
Les Worrall

20/12/08 Steve Tilston with Dave Bowie, 17/01/09 Vin Garbutt, 14/2/08 Pete Coe, 21/03/09 Maclaine Colsten & Saul Rose @
http://www.faldingworthlive..co.uk
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »

Anthony John Clarke - compered one of thge days at cropredy last year and was very good.
simon frisby
George Takei Socks

Loc: Great Yarmouth Norfolk

They made me do it!

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2008, 01:10:17 PM »

It was said that Gerry plays Bass on one song, now ive looked at the set list and cant fathom out which song it would be. Is it obvious or am i just being dense?

Monster? I'll have you know I'm British!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2008, 01:18:39 PM »

It was said that Gerry plays Bass on one song, now ive looked at the set list and cant fathom out which song it would be. Is it obvious or am i just being dense?

Well......just watch him on Best Wishes  Grin

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
simon frisby
George Takei Socks

Loc: Great Yarmouth Norfolk

They made me do it!

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2008, 01:21:53 PM »

Something else ive got to keep my eye out for when i get to Brum. Cheers  Grin

Monster? I'll have you know I'm British!
Les Worrall

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2008, 02:25:21 PM »

I know Anthony John Clarke, as I have had him on at my club before.

20/12/08 Steve Tilston with Dave Bowie, 17/01/09 Vin Garbutt, 14/2/08 Pete Coe, 21/03/09 Maclaine Colsten & Saul Rose @
Les Worrall

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2008, 02:27:22 PM »

I guess there isn't a support act then!

MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2008, 02:29:28 PM »

AJC is the support.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2008, 02:30:38 PM »

other than Anthony John Clarke being the support act I guess not!

Are you being deliberately confusing here Les?  Wink

David W
Les Worrall

« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »

Sorry David, must be my age :-)

AJC, thats great. Very nice man and he does a very nice gig.

I just talked with him and booked him for Faldingworth Live next year.

Blimey so wrapped up in putting on my own concerts, I hadn't realised that they (F.C.) are on at Cleethorpes on Feb 26th. 30 minute drive for me. :-)
Cleethorpes is where John Conolly comes from (the one that wrote Fiddlers Green). He is such a lovely man as well and does a really good gig.

Better get the Donkeys out on the beach, so that Fairport can enjoy a traditional ride :-)

Les Worrall

« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2008, 02:56:02 PM »

Well here are the donkeys http://www.flickr.com/photos/at-the-pie-village/715001122/in/photostream/

And the Pier http://www.flickr.com/photos/geo3pea/749185419/

Roll on the 26th Feb

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2008, 03:51:23 PM »

Fairport review Wellingborough 13/2/08

Spoilers

The set list this evening was exactly the same (as far as I can remember) as the one posted above from Pontadawe.  I’ll look forward to hearing other songs if it has changed at the later gigs I’ll be going to.

The JBL set was truly stunning..  Simon’s voice on Breakfast in Mayfair so very much more mature than on the original.. superb!  Chris’ rendition of Cell Song was truly gorgeous, but I must admit that listening to the words of the Hanging Song I couldn’t help but see tv images of a certain Iraqui badman going to the gallows…  maybe I shouldn’t have listened quite so carefully!  The audience as a whole was slow to react to these three songs.. the clapping came just a little later than at the end of most songs.. surely that reflects unfamiliarity??

I knew Chris was due to sing Reynadine but until the moment I couldn’t imagine anyone other than Sandy singing it..  the sound was very echoey on this song which was a bit off putting.. but I’m looking forward to hearing it again.. it was beautiful.. a very brave move.

WKWTTG was dedicated to John Wright who died suddenly earlier in the week.  Simon reminded us that it is almost 30 years since Sandy stopped writing songs.

A FAB night and a very pleasant venue.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2008, 08:50:46 PM »

The audience as a whole was slow to react to these three songs.. the clapping came just a little later than at the end of most songs.. surely that reflects unfamiliarity??

Or that they were taken aback by how good they were Roll Eyes......................sometimes it takes a couple of seconds just to react after something superb Roll Eyes -or maybe I'm getting slower Lips Sealed

At MK there was that 'pause' after the songs - then the audience went wild (for MK that is Lips Sealed)

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2008, 10:45:14 PM »

The audience as a whole was slow to react to these three songs.. the clapping came just a little later than at the end of most songs.. surely that reflects unfamiliarity??

Or that they were taken aback by how good they were Roll Eyes......................sometimes it takes a couple of seconds just to react after something superb Roll Eyes -or maybe I'm getting slower Lips Sealed

At MK there was that 'pause' after the songs - then the audience went wild (for MK that is Lips Sealed)

No, that uncertain silence was there in Worthing too. Several times I found that I was the first one to start clapping and people didn't seem to be sure that the songs had ended. I think Amythest is right. These audiences just don't know those songs, unfortunately.
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2008, 07:26:36 AM »

These audiences just don't know those songs, unfortunately.

This could be one reason. To look at it from a more positive angle it could mean as well that new folks is being attracted by Fairport and their music - after all and after 40 years - the word is spreading  Wink
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2008, 09:19:02 AM »

The second criticism is more a slight case of mystification really. Having just played electric guitar on The Eynsham Poacher, Simon switched to acoustic for Mock Morris 90, thereby denying it some of the power of the recorded version. I can't really understand why he did that but it is a minor quibble.

I have just realised that I owe Simon a bit of an apology. I listened to The Five Seasons for the first time in a while yesterday and the dominant backing instrument is indeed acoustic guitar. There is a bit of colour added on electric but that was Maart of course. Mea culpa. Funny how the memory plays trick.

These audiences just don't know those songs, unfortunately.

This could be one reason. To look at it from a more positive angle it could mean as well that new folks is being attracted by Fairport and their music - after all and after 40 years - the word is spreading  Wink

Fair point.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2008, 10:28:28 AM »

It's those lights.  People don't want to be "seen" to be too enthusiastic. Wink

We all know that ladies like the lights off ...

Shocked Wink Grin Lips Sealed
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2008, 10:30:53 AM »

The lights were down at the Wellingborough gig.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2008, 10:31:34 AM »

It's those lights.  People don't want to be "seen" to be too enthusiastic. Wink

We all know that ladies like the lights off ...

Shocked Wink Grin Lips Sealed

Actually they did not have the house lights up in Worthing. Are they persisting with that at all the other gigs?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: