TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:12:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour Spoliers  (Read 77873 times)
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2008, 10:34:07 AM »

That's good news.  I hope they're down at Canterbury tomorrow.
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2008, 11:39:11 AM »

Not a spoiler or a review, but a question.
Chris Bates has put a post on the FC list about the Wellingborough gig, in which he says that Brav is in hospital.  Any know what's happened? whatever the cause, best wishes Rob, thoughts going in your direction.

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2008, 11:43:35 AM »

Better get the Donkeys out on the beach, so that Fairport can enjoy a traditional ride :-)

Would that be a One Way Donkey Ride?  Grin

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2008, 11:44:28 AM »

The lights on lights off debate is not as important as the heating on heating off one that needs to be sorted by Sefton Council before Mondays appearance at Southport.
The Folkport day was made uncomfortable by the heat - I had to drink more. Terrible it was; the heat not the drinking more.

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2008, 12:08:44 PM »

Not a spoiler or a review, but a question.
Chris Bates has put a post on the FC list about the Wellingborough gig, in which he says that Brav is in hospital.  Any know what's happened? whatever the cause, best wishes Rob, thoughts going in your direction.

Seconded - all the best to Rob B - hope you're soon back!

Flobbadob!
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2008, 11:27:40 AM »

It's ages since I'd been to Canterbury and had forgotten what a lovely city this is – dominated by the cathedral, aged buildings abound and the narrow alleys wind between the beautiful old and the generally tasteful new.  The Marlowe theatre was a new one to us although we had experienced it virtually in a 2005 video but reality was much better.

As we entered the foyer we knew this gig was going to be radically different to the Tunbridge one. There was a buzz and an air of excitement which had been lacking at the former.  Besides, these people even looked more like us.  (Dare I mention the 3Bs – bald, beard and belly?  No!  Okay, I won't!)  These people looked and sounded like Cropredy people and they drank like them too.  It felt familiar.

The first half opened with The Happy Man – a cheery number to warm us all up and draw us in.  Then we were hit with the slightly unnerving and somewhat sinister Doctor of Physick.  It was great and better than any other version I have ever heard before – yes, even the Cropredy one!  The Rose Hip is such a lovely  tune, beautifully performed and gratefully received.  These boys know how to tug at your emotions – we'd run through a fair few different ones in the first three alone.  My Love is in America is one of my favourite Chris songs and Reynardine produced a tingle down the spine moment for Katy's Dad.  This half concluded with the semi-autobiographical Wood and the Wire which no doubt had a resonance with many in the audience; and Mock Morris which for me conjured up amusing images of Chris dancing at double speed while playing his violin – thanks Ollie! Grin

At the interval the front of house area was packed – the Marlowe holds about a thousand people and it was full – as we attempted to reach our pre-ordered drinks waiting for us in the bar.  I lost Katy's Dad; he was accosted by some people he had not seen for years and whom I'd never met.  Having backtracked and found him, I was introduced and there was much discussion about the two different set lists, as these people had been at St Albans earlier in the tour.  We also saw some Essex people we know so by the time we reached our drinks it was nearly time to return to the auditorium.  I downed a glass of wine in seconds, although I needed a bit of help to finish off the last bit.  Katy's Dad said his drink tasted 'funny' which led to us to imagining an unlikely scenario involving drinks being spiked at an FC gig.  Maybe tasting it myself wasn't such a wise move!

The second half kicked off with Keep On Turning The Wheel – another cheerful opener, followed by Wat Tyler, which was one of the highlights for me.  I was worried I'd miss Maart’s bit but I didn't at all – a different version but equally good. Peggy explained The Swirling Pit which has made that tune more meaningful to me now and Jams O’Donnel’s Jig was marvellous – one of my favourite Fairport instrumentals.  My tingle down the spine moment came with Breakfast In Mayfair. Surprising?  It came as a bl**dy great shock to me especially after what I said about it last time!  (Then again, it might have been the wine kicking in!)  All three B. Lee songs have developed and improved in my opinion.  These guys just keep on delivering.  As mentioned by others, there was a pause after each song before the clapping started.  I don't think it was lack of knowledge this time – the songs were explained to the audience beforehand.  I wonder if people think they should maybe wait until the end to applaud.  After all, they are introduced as a set of three and the original album did not have track listings. Undecided  I knew what to expect of Eynsham Poacher and still really enjoyed it – I like to hear Simon's folky-voice. (Katy refers to it as his Welsh accent Shocked)  Hiring Fair was sheer bliss, as always, and I thought Matty Groves was one of the best I have ever heard.  I'm sure a new word was inserted between 'her' and 'shoes' in the servant swimming line, but have no idea what it was.

It was all over too quickly.  The sound and acoustics were much better than at T. Wells – we could hear the different instruments clearly.  The chaps were in good spirits; they obviously like this venue.  And there was no quiz and no lights.

Thank you all. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 11:39:03 AM by Katys Mum » Logged
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2008, 02:54:36 PM »

To be honest, the set at Canterbury sound pretty much the same as at Norwich last Tuesday- which is not to take anything away- I thought they were great at Norwich- better than on some  previous winter tours I have been to see. Acoustics were not great at Norwich though- alot of "echoing" just slightly marred Anthony John Clark's support gig- but this is (the Norwich Assembly House) a fine old Georgian house where perhaps the acoustics are not what people would expect at a more "modern" venue. A great version of Matty Groves but also "spoilt" for us by the distress of an ageing Fairporter apparently collapsing 2 rows in front of us- caused a bit of constrernation and the band also looked worried as they played on. The important thing, was of course, if he was alright, and he seemed to, from what we heard afterwards.
Anyway, a great gig last week in East Anglia- one of the best in recent memory!
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2008, 03:09:39 PM »

My Love is in America is one of my favourite Chris songs and Reynardine produced a tingle down the spine moment for Katy's Dad.  

And for me. So unexpected and to hear Chris's voice projected with such power. When getting his autograph on the 40th DVD afterwards I suggested Reynardine should be included on the next studio album. After all, Polly on the Shore was revived/revamped for SofO. He said I wasn't the first to make that suggestion so let us hope.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »

I wonder if the band/Simon reads these posts??

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2008, 05:29:52 PM »

I would love a recording of Chris singing Reynardine - it sent shivers down my spine.

One of the best things I've heard for ages

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2008, 05:31:23 PM »

I would love a recording of Chris singing Reynardine - it sent shivers down my spine.

Oh I agree! I remember watching him just before they began to play it and thinking "he looks as though he is psyching himself up".  Grin

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2008, 07:06:30 PM »

Same here Diane.. if anyone has one....   Grin Wink Tiara

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2008, 11:36:07 AM »

Just a quick note to record a terrific gig at Leamington last night - the chaps were really on top form! Set list seems to be much the same as that for Canterbury, but, from our point of view, very different from the first night in Tewkesbury.

Highlights? Reynardine,of course, which Chris has really taken to a different level, Wat Tyler, Hiring Fair, Rosehip, Mock Morris, the Babbacombe Lee mini-set (particularly the Hanging Song) and a storming Matty to finish with!

And does anyone else agree that Anthony John Clark is doing a brilliant opening spot? The mix of serious and lighter songs plus a genuine warmth and audience engagement really seems to work.

Steve&Julia - already looking forward to Birmingham........

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2008, 01:13:07 PM »

And does anyone else agree that Anthony John Clark is doing a brilliant opening spot? The mix of serious and lighter songs plus a genuine warmth and audience engagement really seems to work.

And a nice bloke to talk to as well.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2008, 01:29:52 PM »

Really wish I'd gone to Pontardawe now to see them!  Sad

Having travelled many miles to see FC in the past, I decided 40 miles was just too far this year, and as we'll see them at Cropredy I thought I'd take a raincheck.

Seems I picked the wrong year. I'd have gone just for the Babbacombe Lee mini-set. Hopefully, they'll do it at Cropredy.

Never mind  Huh

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2008, 01:35:41 PM »

Sorry bridgwit you really have missed a corker - Best i've ever seen the lads! Right on form and the babacombe lee songs an absoulute gem. I really do hope they do them at cropredy as well!  Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2008, 01:38:29 PM »

Good point Tasha, which has got my brain cell warming up.  Is there any correlation between the winter tour set list and the backbone of the Cropredy set?

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2008, 01:40:34 PM »

Really wish I'd gone to Pontardawe now to see them!  Sad

Having travelled many miles to see FC in the past, I decided 40 miles was just too far this year, and as we'll see them at Cropredy I thought I'd take a raincheck.

Seems I picked the wrong year. I'd have gone just for the Babbacombe Lee mini-set. Hopefully, they'll do it at Cropredy.

Never mind  Huh

You could always try Bristol on 27th. I know it's further, but it's worth it.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2008, 01:49:32 PM »

I agree there.. go to Bristol.. you won't regret it!!

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2008, 02:02:38 PM »

I might just do that - if I can get someone to go with me  Undecided

Part of the reason I didn't go is that none of the usual "gang" fancied going so far as we'd seen them 5 or 6 times in 4 years. So we went to see the Ukes in Newport instead.  Embarrassed They were brilliant, mind, I don't regret going to see them for one minute!  Smiley

Will put some feelers out tonight. Fingers x'ed!  Cool

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: