TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:48:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DM for Wintour  (Read 15021 times)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« on: October 18, 2022, 12:56:24 PM »

Fairport Convention Fans FB page reporting that DM will be back in the seat for the Winter Tour!!

DW
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 12:59:54 PM »

Fairport Convention Fans FB page reporting that DM will be back in the seat for the Winter Tour!!

DW

So, what's the announcement and who's announcing it?

Oh, and do I win a prize?  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 01:29:49 PM »

Wasn't that already mentioned by Fairport when GC retired? I recall hearing he would be in the seat for some, but not all, gigs on that tour.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 01:31:19 PM »

DW

So, what's the announcement and who's announcing it?

Oh, and do I win a prize?  Wink

I asked much the same and was told it had come "from the horse's mouth"

DW
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 01:45:10 PM »

Wasn't that already mentioned by Fairport when GC retired? I recall hearing he would be in the seat for some, but not all, gigs on that tour.

Nope - the original statement said "This last week has been a time of sizeable change, and Fairport Convention are no exception to this.
After 24 years in the Drum saddle Gerry Conway will no longer be performing with Fairport.
As Gerry said, ‘I never expected to still be playing at 75, my Mum was always asking me when I’d retire!
Well, I’m not retiring but looking forward to some new adventures. Thanks Fairport, we had some great times.’
We certainly did Gerry. FC x

The coming October tour will see us performing as a 4 piece.
The November 2nd concert at Dudley Town Hall will feature the Fairport Four piece being joined by guests in the first half of the show. Simon, Peggy, Ric, and Chris will be joined by Dave Mattacks for the second half."

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 01:47:36 PM »

As far as I can ascertain from said horse, the only currently announced involvement of DM is for Peggy's 75th 'do' in Dudley on Nov 2.

My guess is that any further announcement would come from Fairport Towers.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 05:50:12 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 01:48:03 PM »

Just seen this on FC Touring's fb page:

"We had a wonderful run up to Scotland and back, with some really delightful shows. We hope to be back up there later in 2023. We've now a quick visit to Twickenham for a SOLD OUT show tonight and then head to the South West for 3 more SOLD OUT shows. Thanks for all your support. Our final show of 2022 will be on Weds 2nd Nov in Dudley. This will be Peggy's 75th Birthday Party too and we have a number of special guests coming to join us celebrate. We also get to welcome Dave Mattacks back to the drum stool as he joins us for the performance. With Birmingham not being on the Winter Tour this is your best opportunity to catch us with DM".

That last sentence reads to me as a very strong hint that DM will be with the band for the Wintour...

Flobbadob!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 01:59:42 PM »

"We had a wonderful run up to Scotland and back, with some really delightful shows. We hope to be back up there later in 2023. We've now a quick visit to Twickenham for a SOLD OUT show tonight and then head to the South West for 3 more SOLD OUT shows. Thanks for all your support. Our final show of 2022 will be on Weds 2nd Nov in Dudley. This will be Peggy's 75th Birthday Party too and we have a number of special guests coming to join us celebrate. We also get to welcome Dave Mattacks back to the drum stool as he joins us for the performance. With Birmingham not being on the Winter Tour this is your best opportunity to catch us with DM".

That last sentence reads to me as a very strong hint that DM will be with the band for the Wintour...

I read the last sentence as completely opposite to you Paul, as in It you want to see DM with the band Brum is your chance.

The Dude abides
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 02:14:56 PM »

I wish we knew the dates, been too long waiting now 😥

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 02:16:19 PM »

I read the last sentence as completely opposite to you Paul, as in It you want to see DM with the band Brum is your chance.

Me too

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2022, 03:57:14 PM »

Me too

Birmingham not on Wintour => best chance to catch us with DM
therefore, if Birmingham was on Wintour => not best chance to catch us with DM

Conclusion : DM on Wintour.

....is how I read it.

I hope so anyway. I'd like to hear DM backing some of the recent material, and the usual L&L / Full House material.
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2022, 04:03:55 PM »

Several folks on FB pages stating Peggy has privately said DM will be on the Wintour
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 05:20:05 PM »

Me too

....is how I read it.

I hope so anyway. I'd like to hear DM backing some of the recent material, and the usual L&L / Full House material.

Changed my mind on that...I think you're right, Darren (and others).  And, yes, it does look like it'll happen from what is being said elsewhere.

Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 05:50:41 PM »

Fingers crossed! Hopefully Union Chapel on a Friday or Saturday, so I can make a proper night of it with old friends rather than rushing to catch a train back home
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2022, 01:01:21 PM »

Darren - that was the logic I followed.  Smiley

Flobbadob!
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2022, 02:11:47 PM »

Darren - that was the logic I followed.  Smiley

Great minds Smiley  (hopefully)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2022, 05:07:55 PM »

Some sources name Cozy Powell as a possible replacement. That one would leave Spinal tap at the starting blocks.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2022, 05:32:48 PM »

Some sources name Cozy Powell as a possible replacement. That one would leave Spinal tap at the starting blocks.

24 years dead.  Now that would be quite some replacement.

Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2022, 07:18:48 PM »

....is how I read it.

I'm afraid that argument (implicitly) commits the formal fallacy of denying the antecedent, and is thus an invalid inference. (NB: invalid inferences can nonetheless have true conclusions.)
Sue & Chris

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2022, 02:57:59 PM »

DM now confirmed on Fairport website.

Might actually be tempted to go along this year...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: