TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:47:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DM for Wintour  (Read 15020 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2023, 11:00:59 AM »

Amazed that the Oysters struggle to sell 300 tickets.

I do wonder whether bands should be touring more geographically/strategically these days? Which is awful news for those wonderful small venues of course...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2023, 11:29:53 AM »

Amazed that the Oysters struggle to sell 300 tickets.

I do wonder whether bands should be touring more geographically/strategically these days? Which is awful news for those wonderful small venues of course...

Maybe the problem is that the older fans want better facilities also so seeing the Oysters say in a standing hall wouldn't suit ...

DW
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2023, 03:48:53 PM »

There are just around 30 seats left at the Maltings gig in Farnham (all at the back) and still around 50 seats left at Exeter for Thursday which I am considering .

I notice the Exeter website is showing a picture of the new lineup , Farnham have the photograph they used for the autumn tour with Gerry and (for some reason) Ric cropped out.

Steve Hillage band is playing the Phoenix in Exeter in April. It is an all standing gig, which made me realise maybe my old bones are finally catching up with me because the thought of standing for a couple of hours has put me off a bit!

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2023, 04:36:54 PM »

There are just around 30 seats left at the Maltings gig in Farnham (all at the back) and still around 50 seats left at Exeter for Thursday which I am considering .

I notice the Exeter website is showing a picture of the new lineup , Farnham have the photograph they used for the autumn tour with Gerry and (for some reason) Ric cropped out.

Steve Hillage band is playing the Phoenix in Exeter in April. It is an all standing gig, which made me realise maybe my old bones are finally catching up with me because the thought of standing for a couple of hours has put me off a bit!

That's encouraging. When I looked at the Exeter website a few days ago there were about 100 seats left.  Must have been a rush over the weekend!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2023, 04:44:08 PM »

That's encouraging. When I looked at the Exeter website a few days ago there were about 100 seats left.  Must have been a rush over the weekend!

My delay in booking anything has been a lot to do with the weather - there fairly good choice left - certainly a number have gone over the weekend.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2023, 08:13:24 AM »

So good to have DM back. Fab first night in Tewkesbury yesterday.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2023, 08:28:30 AM »

So good to have DM back. Fab first night in Tewkesbury yesterday.  Smiley

Any chance of a deeper review, Ian (or anybody)?  I'm intrigued as to whether DM has simply slipped into the Gerry seat (unlikely, I'd have thought) or whether he's bringing something else to the party?  Setlists and other comments would be appreciated (but them behind a spoiler if needs be, but do put them somewhere)...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2023, 01:22:33 PM »

DM's return has definitely given the band a rockier sound for not only the tracks he originally played on, but also those that have entered the canon during Gerry's tenure.  IMHO, this is neither better nor worse, but it does freshen up some of the later material that I know some long-term fans feel to be a bit "too" folky.

I'd say FC, on this tour at least, is/are a folk-rock band (again!) - a fair bit of lecky guitar from Mr Nicol.

Not going to post specific titles here, but a few pleasant surprises in the set list - and Ric's got some new jokes - which gave DM opportunities to do the old "boom-tish".

Hannah Sanders & Ben Savage were rather good, as well.

Well worth grabbing a ticket...

Flobbadob!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2023, 03:12:57 PM »

Thanks Paul. Looking forward to tonight even more now!

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2023, 03:23:27 PM »

I've posted a small review elsewhere on TAW. Including a setlist behind a spoiler tag.

DM adds a lot, IMHO.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2023, 12:36:00 AM »

I have listened to and watched DMs drumming for yrs, since discovering Sailors Life in 69.He should be up there alongside the great drummers. Without him adapting his drum style British folk rock may not have happened.
Gerry is also a very very good drummer in a different style. His skill was always ,supporting the song , really underestimated. You didn’t notice him……and that’s a compliment.
So I have stood, studied, both of them but it will be great to see DM play a full set……Looking forward to it……
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2023, 01:06:38 AM »

Exeter tonight was interesting. Definately  DM gave the band a rockier sound,. Personally I did not like the keyboard addition to the band, I felt it contaminated a couple of the classics2 Mrs Jim G agreed thought it sounded a bit Bontempi!
Looked to us that Chris had a cold lot of blowing his hooter and secret losenger noshing going ob.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2023, 08:32:19 AM »

Exeter tonight was interesting. Definately  DM gave the band a rockier sound,. Personally I did not like the keyboard addition to the band, I felt it contaminated a couple of the classics2 Mrs Jim G agreed thought it sounded a bit Bontempi!
Looked to us that Chris had a cold lot of blowing his hooter and secret losenger noshing going ob.

Remembering of course that when Maart was in the band it got very prog keyboard led at times……Wounded Whale  etc….
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2023, 08:56:29 AM »

Yes, Chris has a cold.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2023, 09:35:18 AM »

That Kurzweil keyboard setting is very 80s - I'd prefer a classic Fender Rhodes electric piano sound myself.

Flobbadob!
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2023, 09:44:39 AM »

Remembering of course that when Maart was in the band it got very prog keyboard led at times……Wounded Whale  etc….
Yes saw the band many times  with Maart playing keyboard but just would have preferred DM to have stayed on drums for the set list they chose to do, particularly  on one song where Gerry's contribution always added an atmospheric conclusion.  
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2023, 09:52:12 AM »

That Kurzweil keyboard setting is very 80s - I'd prefer a classic Fender Rhodes electric piano sound myself.

My thoughts too

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2023, 11:18:36 AM »

Yes, Chris has a cold.

Ah is it a cold…..will the rest of the band get it……?Huh
Don’t miss the next exciting episode ……( Saturday morning pictures music…..)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: