TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:49:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DM for Wintour  (Read 15023 times)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2023, 09:49:11 AM »

Fraud not, but… anyone for Lincoln?

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2023, 12:22:23 PM »

Wyvern Theatre Swindon on the 3rd of Feb...Really looking forward to this & my first Fairport show since Cropredy 2018...There looks to be a lot of seats still available on the Wyvern website, so for anyone in the Swindon area, now's your opportunity! Smiley
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2023, 12:46:39 PM »

Thanks to our kids we'll be at Tewkesbury on 1st Feb for the opening gig of the tour.

Looking forward to this.

See you there!  Anyone else?

Yep. With one of my Ukrainian guests; a Fairport virgin.  Grin

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2023, 12:49:50 PM »

Thanks to our kids we'll be at Tewkesbury on 1st Feb for the opening gig of the tour.

Looking forward to this.

Have they seen the Sproatly's yet?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2023, 03:16:19 PM »

Looking forward to this.

Have they seen the Sproatly's yet?

I'm breaking them in gently.  Grin

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2023, 07:17:54 PM »

There looks to be a lot of seats still available on the Wyvern website

Blimey. There are.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2023, 07:59:33 PM »

Blimey. There are.

I do worry about this tour...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2023, 08:36:46 PM »

Blimey. There are.

Oysterband made a very good point recently that they expected there to be a raised demand ,or at least a demand for tickets after lockdowns. This has not proved to be the case.
There could be many reasons and it is easy to generalise but….
There is an age demographic, the demographic that goes toFairports gigs/ Great British Folk Festival etc,
that is not attending gigs as in pre Covid figures. That could be continuing ‘fear ‘ of Covid , a change in behaviours during lock downs or economic factors.
The interesting point is that summer festivals ,incl folk fests, are maintaining and increasing their numbers , particularly with a younger audience.
So ,in the words of Martin Carthy recently, folk clubs have gone underground again and I suspect we will be back to pop up gigs in houses, village halls etc . I have attended 3 recently with very good line ups, 2 house concerts , one pop up in a village hall. One was ‘money in the hat’ but the duo walked away with £600 from an audience of 60 who were asked to donate what they felt was fair. It was in a fairly wealthy village.!
Andy Leonard

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2023, 11:04:44 PM »

Interesting because the Fairport gig at the Stables at Wavendon, Milton Keynes has sold out. Admittedly it’s not a massive venue and probably holds 450 top whack but even so that seems to be bucking the trend.

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2023, 10:03:35 AM »

Blimey. There are.

Swindon is only 43 miles from Tewkesbury and the catchment area in between is very rural.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2023, 10:30:33 AM »

Blimey. There are.

Swindon is only 43 miles from Tewkesbury and the catchment area in between is very rural.

There's a real scattergun approach to the geography of the dates...loads seem to be in the same general area.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2023, 10:39:57 AM »

Selling pretty well locally , seats left are either restricted view of behind the band. Capacity must be about 450, but then it usually sells out. Still plenty of time yet.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2023, 11:17:00 AM »

Exeter has about 100 seats left, out of 524, so I guess that's not too bad.  Don't know what the break-even point would be.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2023, 08:38:28 PM »

Just bought my ticket for Stratford.
About half sold at pres …….
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2023, 08:43:22 PM »

Interesting because the Fairport gig at the Stables at Wavendon, Milton Keynes has sold out. Admittedly it’s not a massive venue and probably holds 450 top whack but even so that seems to be bucking the trend.

Real old f**t comment here….but they seem to be doing theatres of about 400 people.
I remember , not very long ago, when they could fill the 2000 seat De Montfort Hall in Leics.
So could Oysterband, Levellers , Waterboys , RT all of whom I saw there more than once.
Have those days gone?
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2023, 08:50:58 PM »

Real old f**t comment here….but they seem to be doing theatres of about 400 people.
I remember , not very long ago, when they could fill the 2000 seat De Montfort Hall in Leics.
So could Oysterband, Levellers , Waterboys , RT all of whom I saw there more than once.
Have those days gone?
There's a demographic that follow these bands and yes, we're dying out.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2023, 12:34:02 AM »

Have those days gone?
There's a demographic that follow these bands and yes, we're dying out.

That's a sobering thought. I'm too young to die out!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2023, 08:28:47 AM »

Have those days gone?

I'd have thought all of those bands (except Fairport) are still capable of playing 2k seaters aren't they?  Whether they sold them out is I suppose another question...

MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2023, 08:58:02 AM »

Have those days gone?

I'd have thought all of those bands (except Fairport) are still capable of playing 2k seaters aren't they?  Whether they sold them out is I suppose another question...

Farnham Maltings is 480 capacity and they have been playing there for a number of years.  

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2023, 09:06:24 AM »

Have those days gone?

Hi David, Oysterband struggled to sell 300 tickets in a much smaller venue in Leics last yr.
During height of Covid the infection rate was very high and those memories seem to be lingering amongst that over 55 audience.
I have been reticent to go back to a regular music venue in Leics cos of, ‘ the went to see …..and got Covid stories.
I got Covid last yr cos I had a lift from a friend I play music with and he and his wif3 had been to a show in Leics 2 days before…….
…..and so smaller venues are struggling/ closing.
I have vulnerable friends who still won’t come out to open mics etc.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: