TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:44:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DM for Wintour  (Read 15027 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2022, 03:19:05 PM »

I've booked for Exeter. Looking forward to it already.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2022, 03:00:15 PM »

I wonder if anyone else is currently being lined up or approached regarding occupying the drum stool on a more permanent basis. It would be nice if DM was to stick around, but I would have thought an announcement would have been made by now if that were the case.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2022, 03:16:30 PM »

This recent interview posted by Skirky reflects that DM is quite happy living in Marblehead, and also sheds light on why he left in the first (and second, and maybe third) instance: https://www.innerviews.org/inner/dave-mattacks

Given his feelings on the subject, I can't imagine he'd be inclined to return full time.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2022, 03:18:21 PM »

I wonder if anyone else is currently being lined up or approached regarding occupying the drum stool on a more permanent basis. It would be nice if DM was to stick around, but I would have thought an announcement would have been made by now if that were the case.

But what does full-time actually mean?  

My previously stated guess is that DM will do the Wintour and Cropredy and the rest of the year they'll be a 4-piece?  I do wonder however if further changes are in the air, given already stated things like Chris going back to his violin making etc...  Time will tell, I imagine.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2022, 03:47:12 PM »

But what does full-time actually mean?  

My previously stated guess is that DM will do the Wintour and Cropredy and the rest of the year they'll be a 4-piece?  I do wonder however if further changes are in the air, given already stated things like Chris going back to his violin making etc...  Time will tell, I imagine.

I'm with you David. I may be proved wrong but I don't think full time will be a thing with regards to Fairport after 2023, possibly after Cropredy. I think Jerry's departure may have been the catalyst for some reflection by other members of the band.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2022, 11:20:05 PM »

I tend to agree with Al. Maybe go back to Cropredy being a reunion? DM and RT as regular 'reunion' guest/members.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2022, 05:34:47 PM »

I tend to agree with Al. Maybe go back to Cropredy being a reunion? DM and RT as regular 'reunion' guest/members.

They toured every year they "didn't exist" so how would we notice the difference? Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy Leonard

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2022, 07:28:02 PM »

I think they’ll ask DM to do the winter tour and Cropredy every year for the foreseeable future. Any other gigs tend to be at smaller venues i.e folk clubs and without being disrespectful to Gerry Conway a drummer/percussionist isn’t really necessary. Before him they were billed as Fairport (Acoustic) Convention which allowed DM to do his session work. I think they’ll just go back to that.  

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2022, 08:13:57 AM »

I was thinking that, myself. The whole age thing looms quite large, I suppose. Maybe, in reality, they are already a part time outfit, with other outside interests and with Cropredy being the glue that keeps them together.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2023, 04:29:28 PM »

Booked for RNCM, Sunday 26th Feb.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2023, 02:29:36 PM »

According to Simon on the interview with East Devon radio posted on the Fairporters FB site recently, there are no plans to recruit a permanent replacement drummer.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2023, 03:18:54 PM »

Will be interesting (or not) to see how future recordings go then, DM sending his drum parts in for the US maybe, or after this tour will they go full acoustic apart from Cropredy (my guess).

DW
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2023, 08:29:56 AM »

I see requests to share posters have gone out.  I suspect sales, like for so many artists, are sticky?  I can't help but wonder whether a shorter, geographically more sensible and structured, slightly larger venue tour might have been more sensible/financially rewarding?  But that's guesswork.  It's a tricky old world out there in livemusicville...

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2023, 06:25:45 PM »

I see requests to share posters have gone out.  I suspect sales, like for so many artists, are sticky?  I can't help but wonder whether a shorter, geographically more sensible and structured, slightly larger venue tour might have been more sensible/financially rewarding?  But that's guesswork.  It's a tricky old world out there in livemusicville...

I think it’s likely that having a few hundred supporters voluntarily repost their local gig to three hundred of their friends saves shelling out for the algorithmically-driven paid promotions that Facebook are so fond of. We were a few pints in the other night, so I don’t have the actual numbers to hand, but a promoter/manager friend of mine laid down exactly what you have to spend to get the unfaithful in to a venue these days. Folk generally are more prepared to shell out more money for one big ticket event and make it an occasion than to go to several cheaper shows.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2023, 10:27:54 PM »

Thanks to our kids we'll be at Tewkesbury on 1st Feb for the opening gig of the tour.

Looking forward to this.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2023, 11:00:45 PM »

I think it’s likely that having a few hundred supporters voluntarily repost their local gig to three hundred of their friends saves shelling out for the algorithmically-driven paid promotions that Facebook are so fond of. We were a few pints in the other night, so I don’t have the actual numbers to hand, but a promoter/manager friend of mine laid down exactly what you have to spend to get the unfaithful in to a venue these days. Folk generally are more prepared to shell out more money for one big ticket event and make it an occasion than to go to several cheaper shows.

I am the complete opposite of that!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2023, 11:17:30 AM »

If there were more of your ilk about, times would probably not be as challenging as they are!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
PJayBe

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2023, 04:34:27 AM »

Same here!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2023, 09:18:26 AM »

Thanks to our kids we'll be at Tewkesbury on 1st Feb for the opening gig of the tour.

Looking forward to this.

See you there!  Anyone else?

Flobbadob!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2023, 09:35:18 AM »

Looking forward to this.

See you there!  Anyone else?

'Fraid not. But I will be at Exeter the next night, if anyone else will be there?

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: