TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:10:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Boots box set  (Read 15108 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« on: April 07, 2022, 12:53:28 PM »

From Colin Harper on Facebook:

That eminent boulevardier of the bass Dave Pegg and I have been concocting some archaeological projects recently, for presentation via Repertoire Records in due course. One of these involves some crowd-sourcing - a box set configuration of all four of the 'official bootleg' cassette albums from the 1980s: A.T.2, The Boot, The Other Boot and The Third Leg, plus the 1981 Broughton Castle film. All will be painstakingly remastered by the mighty Eroc (whose restoration work on non-professional / semi-professional audio is astonishing).
So, that crowd-sourcing... we're looking for good quality / well-preserved *original* cassette editions of all four, PLUS the US variant of The Third Leg (produced by Dirty Linen magazine in 1990) - and a similarly well-preserved VHS of the Broughton Castle film.
PM me if you can supply any!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 01:03:10 PM »

I've got the Third Leg cassettes. I think the video is buried in the loft somewhere.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 01:53:19 PM »

I've got the Third Leg cassettes. I think the video is buried in the loft somewhere.

I've sent Colin the vid just now.  I have most of the boxes but they're in store....but he's after 2 or 3 of each so the best possible sources can be obtained. Shall I ask for an email addy if you're not on FB?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 01:57:42 PM »

I've sent Colin the vid just now.  I have most of the boxes but they're in store....but he's after 2 or 3 of each so the best possible sources can be obtained. Shall I ask for an email addy if you're not on FB?

I'm on FB and in the Fairporters group.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 02:01:09 PM »

I'm on FB and in the Fairporters group.

I've just checked...he doesn't want to share his email addy so just contact him via FB if anyone can help  Smiley

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 03:58:47 PM »

What a great project! Smiley It will be amazing if they can improve the sound quality of these historic recordings.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 04:13:18 PM »

If they're dubbing from cassettes can we presume that the masters are long gone?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
PJayBe

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 04:51:35 PM »

Why not use the existing CD releases for the Boots series?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 04:52:06 PM »

If they're dubbing from cassettes can we presume that the masters are long gone?

Jules

Must be.  I did wonder if this might be something to do with Woodworm ownership though?

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 04:53:21 PM »

Why not use the existing CD releases for the Boots series?

I asked this.  Colin replied "And yes, only cassette originals needed - the previous CD of two of the boots will have 20-year-old mastering already applied." which doesn't quite make sense to me, but I didn't push it...

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 06:09:06 PM »

From a listening point of view the CD sets are good enough for me. However if there are any extras or the price is good I may well get it for completeness.

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2022, 08:22:32 PM »

From a listening point of view the CD sets are good enough for me. However if there are any extras or the price is good I may well get it for completeness.

There will be at least a few since they asked for the US/Dirty Linen Magazine version of The Third Leg. I offered my copy but looks like someone else offered before me. Skeptical too, but if the video is restored then I am less so!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2022, 11:20:25 PM »

So what was exclusive to the US Third Leg?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2022, 01:46:36 AM »

So what was exclusive to the US Third Leg?

Jules

1.Head In A Sack, rec January 28, 1987 in Leamington Spa
2. Close To The Wind, same date
3. Dirty Linen, rec July 4, 1987 at Grant Park Chicago
4. A Sailor’s Life, rec at Cropredy, 1987-yes ‘that’ one
5. Fiddlestix, rec at Cropredy, 1987

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Andy Leonard

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2022, 09:54:17 AM »

From Colin Harper on Facebook:

That eminent boulevardier of the bass Dave Pegg and I have been concocting some archaeological projects recently, for presentation via Repertoire Records in due course. One of these involves some crowd-sourcing - a box set configuration of all four of the 'official bootleg' cassette albums from the 1980s: A.T.2, The Boot, The Other Boot and The Third Leg, plus the 1981 Broughton Castle film. All will be painstakingly remastered by the mighty Eroc (whose restoration work on non-professional / semi-professional audio is astonishing).
So, that crowd-sourcing... we're looking for good quality / well-preserved *original* cassette editions of all four, PLUS the US variant of The Third Leg (produced by Dirty Linen magazine in 1990) - and a similarly well-preserved VHS of the Broughton Castle film.

Can anyone help me out and tell me which Colin Harper it is on Facebook please. There seem to be loads and although I found one who is into his music especially fol,k I cannot find his request for the cassette tapes. I have all of them and I’d love to assist. Thanks in anticipation.
PM me if you can supply any!

Andy Leonard

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2022, 11:02:55 AM »

I have now been in touch with Colin Haroer and he thanks everyone who have sent tapes and VHS tapes but does not require any more.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2022, 11:27:07 AM »

I have now been in touch with Colin Haroer and he thanks everyone who have sent tapes and VHS tapes but does not require any more.

That's really good news, isn't it.

From the correspondence on FB and to tidy things up, here is an answer from Colin about why the cassettes (and not the CDs):

After confirming that the original Reel to reels are lost, he replied "Simple - when mastering something, the ideal is to have the original source. As good as that 2000/01 CD mastering might be, it is 20+ year old technology and one person's set of ears. A fresh set of ears (and to my mind, Eroc is the best in the world in extracting magic from non-pro audio) and the wonders of 2022 restoration & mastering software will yield new riches."

Another nugget included in the correspondence is this:  "I'll spill the beans... a Fairport post-Island-era BBC set is on the table. But let's not go down that rabbit hole here. Two FC/Repertoire projects before that's looked at."  I'm not quite sure what that makes the second FC project prior to that one, mind...

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2022, 11:33:04 AM »

Pleased to hear  about the BBC set. I always thought it was a missed opportunity not including that stuff on the original BBC set.

I'll withold judgement on the Boots set as I have the two CD sets which are fine to my ears, unless there is a significant amount of extra material. I am not especially excited by those extra tracks from the US cassette.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2022, 11:38:52 AM »

Pleased to hear  about the BBC set. I always thought it was a missed opportunity not including that stuff on the original BBC set.

I'll withold judgement on the Boots set as I have the two CD sets which are fine to my ears, unless there is a significant amount of extra material. I am not especially excited by those extra tracks from the US cassette.

From everything I've read, there won't be any, Al.  For me, I suspect it depends on pricing and what the package as a whole looks like.

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2022, 05:05:14 PM »

A.T.2 sounds pretty rough to these old ears, so I will welcome 21st century remastering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: