TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:53:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Boots box set  (Read 16566 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2022, 08:14:29 AM »

I always regret missing seeing Trevor playing with the band.  I had opportunities (1985 being the most obvious).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2022, 09:55:10 AM »

I always regret missing seeing Trevor playing with the band.  I had opportunities (1985 being the most obvious).

Some of the very early "Nine" line-up gigs were among the most enjoyable I've seen by any artist.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2022, 09:59:52 AM »

Some of the very early "Nine" line-up gigs were among the most enjoyable I've seen by any artist.  Smiley

I guess one reason for that (beyond, of course, the talent on stage) was that the band was so close to folding immediately prior to it taking place (David Rea etc etc)...?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2022, 08:36:27 PM »

So what was exclusive to the US Third Leg?

Jules

1.Head In A Sack, rec January 28, 1987 in Leamington Spa
2. Close To The Wind, same date
3. Dirty Linen, rec July 4, 1987 at Grant Park Chicago
4. A Sailor’s Life, rec at Cropredy, 1987-yes ‘that’ one
5. Fiddlestix, rec at Cropredy, 1987

Years ago, I read or heard somewhere (and perhaps this information was inaccurate) that the Cropredy 1987 version of A Sailor's Life did not appear on the CD release of The Other Boot/The Third Leg at the request of June Tabor.  Has June Tabor granted consent for that song to appear on this new version of The Third Leg?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2023, 10:14:02 AM »

I've just had a bit of an update from Colin Harper on the Cropredy boots box set proposal.  The original company has gone cold on the project but another (and they're a very good one) has shown interest and it's now a possibility for a Cropredy '24 release date.  Fingers crossed.

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2023, 04:30:20 PM »

Here's a full update from Colin Harper on Facebook - looks exciting to me!

Hello all - a momentary diversion from 2023 Cropredy excitement - an update on the 1981-89 Cropredy 'official bootlegs' box set project that I posted about a year or so back. And also a NEW crowd-sourcing appeal...
In brief, the best sources for the 4 official bootlegs (and Broughton Castle film) are now assembled and freshly digitised where needed, with much supplied by crowdsourcing here and elsewhere - included a set of original reels, no less, of one of the sets, from a contributor in the US. As explained before, much magic can be applied now with restoration/mastering software that could not be done even 5 years ago let alone 23 (when these sets were last on CD).
The project has now moved from the initially intended label to another - Madfish, renowned for deluxe enormo-boxes such as the recent 33CD/2DVD Horslips set and similar full-career sets on Caravan, Gentle Giant, Wishbone Ash et al. The parameters of the projected Fairport set have expanded too - to include a restoration of the rare Australian 'Here Live Tonight' (1986) cassette and 4 discs of BBC concerts and sessions from 1984-89, plus potentially an hour of 1982-89 BBC TV performances.
I had a lengthy chat with Lord David of Pegg a couple of days back, and he is as excited as I am about the newly enhanced proposal - and has hopefully briefed Ric, Dave M and Simon by now!
This is where you all come in... The BBC have all the required TV material but only some of the radio material. I have a couple of goodies personally taped off-air at the time, but the following is what we're missing. I feel sure that between us all, everything on the list can be collected and pro digitised (posting to me, me sorting it out and then posting back) from original off-air cassettes (ahead of mastering).
Fairport Convention members and guests will benefit directly, and rather well, from the set, which, all being well, will be available by Cropredy 2024.
OFF-AIR CASSETTES NEEDED:
Folk on 2, BBC Radio 2, 29/3/86 – Live at Birmingham University, 7/12/85
Titles TBC
Folk on 2, BBC Radio 2, 1/2/89 – Live at Octagon Theatre, Yeovil, 14/1/89
The Widow Of Westmoreland’s Daughter / Dark Eyed Molly / You Can Set Me Up / London River / Rose Hip / Red And Gold / Meet On The Ledge
Folk on 2, BBC Radio 2, 5/7/89 – Live at Beverley Folk Festival, ?7/89
Titles TBC
Nightride, BBC Radio 2, 25–30/4/88 (* original cassette, not the MP3s circulating online)
The Hiring Fair / Matty Groves / Meet on the Ledge / Cat on the Mixer–Three Left Feet / Portmeirion / Head in a Sack
Nightride, BBC Radio 2, 10–14/3/89 (* original cassette, not the MP3s circulating online)
London River / The Noise Club / Walk Awhile / The Hiring Fair / The Beggar’s Song

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2023, 05:44:38 PM »

It developed significantly in the intervening 48 hours or so!  Hope it all comes off...the company do make decent box sets so fingers crossed.

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2023, 06:43:28 PM »

Cripes! I’m not usually a box set completist, but this looks amazing!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2023, 07:18:23 PM »

Slightly disappointed the fantastic '82 video isn't included, but with such an embarrassment of riches....

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2023, 07:26:29 PM »

Slightly disappointed the fantastic '82 video isn't included, but with such an embarrassment of riches....

Good point.  I've asked Colin....and his answer:

"Just curation - one can't include everything and there is also an argument that less is more. Museums don't throw everything they have into their galleries - it's about physical space, selection of items, storytelling..."

Which I'll be honest and say I don't really understand as it is hoovering everything else up but there you go!

Colin continues: "But fear not, this will be a FANTASTIC set...One of the items the BBC did hold on to was a 45-minute b'cast from the 1984 Cropredy and a 1989 Richard Skinner pre-recorded studio session, both terrific in different ways - the first one raw and rough-edged charm, the latter, glistening and professional..."

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2023, 07:34:14 PM »

Good point.  I've asked Colin.

I did offer, but he declined. (On this occasion  Wink)

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2023, 07:37:32 PM »

His response above.  It's weird because it seems like it's going all in elsewhere so I'm not quite sure where the curation he's talking about is, but hey...ours not to wonder why, eh?!  I'll definitely be getting it...

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2023, 11:56:46 PM »

His response above.  It's weird because it seems like it's going all in elsewhere so I'm not quite sure where the curation he's talking about is, but hey...ours not to wonder why, eh?!  I'll definitely be getting it...

I have heard some Cropredy recordings, possibly from 1982, with some off-key vocals that somewhat mar the performances. No idea if there's a connection (or if I'm just tone deaf, which I don't think I am).
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2023, 07:42:51 AM »

I have heard some Cropredy recordings, possibly from 1982, with some off-key vocals that somewhat mar the performances. No idea if there's a connection (or if I'm just tone deaf, which I don't think I am).

Well, if they're including the unlistenable "June Tabor incident" from '87 then I think that argument doesn't carry much weight...  Wink Grin

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2023, 01:07:02 PM »

From Colin H.

"Only one item left to find for the 12-disc Fairport 1981-90 live & BBC box set (planned for release next year) that I may have mentioned around here before: 'Folk on Two' 27/3/86 - being extracts from a concert at Birmingham University on 7/12/85. SOMEONE must have taped it off-air..."

* 356191969_1456440431853164_4765372810610703142_n.jpg (93.3 KB, 490x351 - viewed 468 times.)

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2023, 04:00:43 PM »

From Colin H.

"Only one item left to find for the 12-disc Fairport 1981-90 live & BBC box set (planned for release next year) that I may have mentioned around here before: 'Folk on Two' 27/3/86 - being extracts from a concert at Birmingham University on 7/12/85. SOMEONE must have taped it off-air..."

This has turned up! Smiley

A couple of queries from Colin Harper:

Do we know who is behind this YouTube channel and do we have any contact? infohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vmmILIitMc

Can anyone confirm if both Bruce Rowland and Dave Mattacks drummed at Cropredy 1984?  My memory is of only Bruce but I may well be wrong.  And, following on from this - who played keyboards on Day Trip to Bangor (Oh, the horror) & To Althea in Prison (is it DM)?

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2023, 09:00:16 PM »

The booklet in the Cropredy Capers boxed set notes that both Bruce and DM were onstage together..
at the very least for "Bright Lights Tonight"... RT, SN, DS, DP, DM and BR.

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2023, 09:12:39 PM »

... in 1984. "To Althea" from that year is included in the Fairport Unconventional boxed set, but no details of who played keyboards. I can't remember, but I guess DM or Maart on that one, and probably Day Trip.

Flobbadob!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2023, 09:59:45 PM »

... in 1984. "To Althea" from that year is included in the Fairport Unconventional boxed set, but no details of who played keyboards. I can't remember, but I guess DM or Maart on that one, and probably Day Trip.
wasn't that before Maart joined?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2023, 10:44:52 PM »

From Colin H.

This has turned up! Smiley

A couple of queries from Colin Harper:

Do we know who is behind this YouTube channel and do we have any contact? infohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vmmILIitMc

Can anyone confirm if both Bruce Rowland and Dave Mattacks drummed at Cropredy 1984?  My memory is of only Bruce but I may well be wrong.  And, following on from this - who played keyboards on Day Trip to Bangor (Oh, the horror) & To Althea in Prison (is it DM)?

1984 was my first Cropredy. I'm sure both Bruce and DM were there.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: