TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:34:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 68   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 176518 times)
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #300 on: July 15, 2022, 12:22:57 PM »

Listening to the new Kula Shaker album - 1st Congregational Church of Eternal Love and Free Hugs which was released a couple of weeks ago.

Some really nice catchy songs - I was hoping it might be a bit more raga leaning than it is, I thought many of the songs might fit better with Crispian's other previous band The Jeevas , with their wild west type of vibe.

The only disappointment for me was that the cd is presented as a sort of church service. Between every few songs  there is a hammed up vicar giving the service and asking the congregation to turn off their mobile phones and an irritating choir mistress squawking on about leaky roofs, people nicking the church guttering and what's on at the church film club. Barely amusing  on the first listen, intensely irritating each time after that.  Shame.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #301 on: July 15, 2022, 12:58:56 PM »

Listening to the new Kula Shaker album - 1st Congregational Church of Eternal Love and Free Hugs which was released a couple of weeks ago.

Some really nice catchy songs - I was hoping it might be a bit more raga leaning than it is, I thought many of the songs might fit better with Crispian's other previous band The Jeevas , with their wild west type of vibe.

The only disappointment for me was that the cd is presented as a sort of church service. Between every few songs  there is a hammed up vicar giving the service and asking the congregation to turn off their mobile phones and an irritating choir mistress squawking on about leaky roofs, people nicking the church guttering and what's on at the church film club. Barely amusing  on the first listen, intensely irritating each time after that.  Shame.

Hilarious Grin  Crispian is daft as a brush...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #302 on: July 19, 2022, 09:53:28 PM »

I've been listening to the new Christine McVie album 'Songbird'. It's made up mostly of tracks from previous solo albums, but as I'd never heard any of them I was quite happy to get this. In my humble opinion it's a great album, with some fine toons on it. If you want an idea of the style then the majority of them wouldn't be out of place on a Fleetwood Mac album - so it rather depends on whether or not that's the sort of thing that you like. The title track is a new arrangement of the classic song from 'Rumours' - they've taken the original vocals and added an orchestral arrangement. It's nice, but I still prefer the original version.

I've also been listening to the Rolling Stones' best album 'Sticky Fingers' (other Stones albums are available). I love every track on this, with my personal faves being 'Bitch', 'Wild Horses' and 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' Love it

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #303 on: July 21, 2022, 12:18:26 AM »

For my ongoing photo + song lyrics post today I picked a song off an album I have inexplicably not played in quite some time-Carbon Leaf's Echo Echo. I had never heard of them until I saw them open for Great Big Sea years ago now. I've followed them off and on over the years but this is actually the only album I have. Reminder to myself that I must put that right as they really have a great rootsy sound to them I think many here might like.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #304 on: July 23, 2022, 08:47:26 AM »

Early Bert Jansch:

Rosemary Lane  (Sanctuary Records LP, 2016 reissue).

It Don't Bother Me (Sanctuary Records LP, 2015 reissue).
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #305 on: July 26, 2022, 11:14:57 AM »

Something YouTube recommended to me - Hedgehog Pie - The Green Lady. Surprised I haven't come across these before, very folk-rock. I can hear Tull, FC, Steeleye Span and a few others. I could hear them doing a Friday afternoon slot at Cropredy if they were still about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVxgC2nfrOs

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #306 on: July 26, 2022, 11:51:43 AM »

Something YouTube recommended to me - Hedgehog Pie - The Green Lady. Surprised I haven't come across these before, very folk-rock. I can hear Tull, FC, Steeleye Span and a few others. I could hear them doing a Friday afternoon slot at Cropredy if they were still about.

Martin Jenkins (Dando Shaft, Whippersnapper etc) was in them for a while...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #307 on: July 26, 2022, 05:38:33 PM »

Having a Eurythmics day.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #308 on: July 26, 2022, 06:59:00 PM »

Martin Jenkins (Dando Shaft, Whippersnapper etc) was in them for a while...

Also, Ian Walter Fairburn and Phil Murray (Jack the Lad) were alumni too

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #309 on: July 26, 2022, 11:16:52 PM »

Great band, Hedgehog Pie. Be great to have a nice little boxed set of their catalogue.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #310 on: July 27, 2022, 08:52:23 AM »

Saw and enjoyed them at the Charnock Richard festival in 76. Aren’t their recordings in that non release limbo like so many others?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #311 on: July 27, 2022, 09:11:28 AM »

Saw and enjoyed them at the Charnock Richard festival in 76. Aren’t their recordings in that non release limbo like so many others?

Are they another victim of the Celtic Music @rseh0le5 - didn't know that?

David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #312 on: July 27, 2022, 11:24:41 AM »

Think they might be
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #313 on: August 01, 2022, 03:20:42 PM »

Another one suggested by YouTube (it knows me so well!)

Zakarrias by Zakarrais 1971 It's rather fab Smiley

Discogs tells me it's folk Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Prog Rock which sounds about right and is right up my avenue!  Also says:
Profile: Band name and alias of singer/musician Bobby Haumer from Vienna, Austria. Failing to make a mark locally, Bobby went to London in 1970 and gathered a new band featuring guitarist Huw Lloyd-Langton (from Hawkwind) and drummer John Lingwood, later to join Steamhammer and Manfred Mann's Earth Band.
The album they made is a mixture of folk rock and heavy psychedelic with some prog elements. It went largely unnoticed at the time, but has since become a collectable rarity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXAPiIaUzZc

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #314 on: August 01, 2022, 08:19:45 PM »

Discogs tells me it's folk Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Prog Rock which sounds about right and is right up my avenue!  Also says:
Profile: Band name and alias of singer/musician Bobby Haumer from Vienna, Austria. Failing to make a mark locally, Bobby went to London in 1970 and gathered a new band featuring guitarist Huw Lloyd-Langton (from Hawkwind) and drummer John Lingwood, later to join Steamhammer and Manfred Mann's Earth Band.
The album they made is a mixture of folk rock and heavy psychedelic with some prog elements. It went largely unnoticed at the time, but has since become a collectable rarity.

Do we know for sure Huw was on the album?

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #315 on: August 01, 2022, 08:44:55 PM »

Do we know for sure Huw was on the album?
No I don’t, but Wiki entry suggests maybe not…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Haumer

Sue & Chris

« Reply #316 on: August 01, 2022, 10:12:13 PM »

Finally got around to listening to 'Ants from up there' by Black Country New Road, and now I can't stop.

It's won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I find it mesmerising. Music that demands you sit and listen, really listen.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #317 on: August 02, 2022, 08:48:52 AM »

The Grateful Dead  :  Europe '72,  50th Anniversary Edition  (WB 3LP,  2022)..
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #318 on: August 02, 2022, 09:47:04 AM »

I've been listening (in the car) to Miles Davis' "The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions" - 4 of 5 CDs' worth so far - I wonder if I can play the remainder today as we drive to the Commonwealth Games in Brum... unlikely, given Mrs PT's reaction to the bits she's heard - "it's a racket"!  Grin

Oh well, the other album on the USB stick is the Dead's "Sunshine Daydream"...

Flobbadob!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #319 on: August 05, 2022, 04:22:58 PM »

Waiting for Columbus box set by Little Feat, including the Manchester show I missed the to being on my honeymoon in July 77.
I haven't bought it but it's all on Amazon music, it's great, they were fantastic.

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 68   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: