TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:22:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 189946 times)
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #340 on: September 01, 2022, 12:43:24 PM »

Velvet Underground “Live at Max’s Kansas City”
Extended and remastered version (Disc 4 of 45th Anniversary Edition of “Loaded”

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Peter Allen

« Reply #341 on: September 01, 2022, 03:44:28 PM »

Bill , has the sound been improved , I know the original source was a portable cassette recorder , which would please David the cassette fan, but I used to find it a hard listen despite it being a fun performance and a historically important recording
I'm still amazed by some of the higher quality stuff that's come out since the 1969 live compilation in the late 70's  but there must , even in these days of superior sound technologies , be a limit to what can be enhanced with the Max's cassette

And even if you did or could enhance it-  would it be a financially viable undertaking , given the marketplace for Velvets recordings ? There's loads of  old VU recordings to listen to , but never going to be a million seller

And look at "Gold Dust" , are the fans happy when you start messing with old recordings ? (although that involved re-recording some of the instrumentation - different to enhancing what's already there)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #342 on: September 01, 2022, 05:26:49 PM »

Bill , has the sound been improved , I know the original source was a portable cassette recorder , which would please David the cassette fan, but I used to find it a hard listen despite it being a fun performance and a historically important recording
I'm still amazed by some of the higher quality stuff that's come out since the 1969 live compilation in the late 70's  but there must , even in these days of superior sound technologies , be a limit to what can be enhanced with the Max's cassette

And even if you did or could enhance it-  would it be a financially viable undertaking , given the marketplace for Velvets recordings ? There's loads of  old VU recordings to listen to , but never going to be a million seller

And look at "Gold Dust" , are the fans happy when you start messing with old recordings ? (although that involved re-recording some of the instrumentation - different to enhancing what's already there)

Lol.  I very nearly replied earlier saying "one of my absolute faves" Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #343 on: September 01, 2022, 08:36:19 PM »

Lol.  I very nearly replied earlier saying "one of my absolute faves" Smiley
The general sound is noticeably improved, but the atmosphere of an audience tape is retained. The extra tracks are worth having too.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #344 on: September 02, 2022, 07:25:55 PM »

Two new arrivals:
Jerry Jeff - Steve Earle & the Dukes. I have tended not to listen to Steve's covers albums very much but I know very little of Jerry Jeff Walker's music so this is fresh to me and sounds great.

Seconds Out and More - Steve Hackett. Does what it says on the tin but with added funk. A fun listen
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #345 on: September 03, 2022, 09:14:21 AM »

Bridget st John  :  From There to Here - recordings 1974- 1982 (Cherry Red 3CD, 2022).
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #346 on: September 03, 2022, 12:58:22 PM »

Had a very enjoyable couple of hours listening to what my brain insists are 'later' Soft Machine albums, despite being the best part of five decades old - Seven, Bundles and Softs.  The pick of the punch is, I think, Bundles which is officially superb.  Never really engaged that closely with the post-Wyatt band before, but I might have to seek out the new expanded Bundles now.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #347 on: September 03, 2022, 01:55:59 PM »

Had a very enjoyable couple of hours listening to what my brain insists are 'later' Soft Machine albums, despite being the best part of five decades old - Seven, Bundles and Softs.  The pick of the punch is, I think, Bundles which is officially superb.  Never really engaged that closely with the post-Wyatt band before, but I might have to seek out the new expanded Bundles now.

I love that later era Soft Machine, and agree Bundles is about the best.  Softs is good too.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #348 on: September 04, 2022, 03:35:11 PM »

Sarah Davachi https://sarahdavachi.bandcamp.com/

It's kind of electro-ambient droney stuff that often sounds like medieval music whilst still sounding up to the minute.  It ticks a bunch of boxes for me.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #349 on: September 05, 2022, 09:15:59 AM »

Sandy Denny  :  Gold Dust -  the Final Concert  (Island /UMC LP  Record Store Day,  2022).

I'd love this to have been a double,  with all of the material from the 1998 CD release.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #350 on: September 05, 2022, 10:55:51 AM »

I did mention this in another thread but if I can persuade one more person to discover Sproatly Smith by talking about their new album here then I hope you'll forgive me.

Sadly, I imagine only hundreds will ever hear this wonderful album but I still think Ian and co have made some of the very best music of the last decade and a half.  Psych folk tends to be the catch all description but it's not really sufficient.  It's mostly pretty gentle (in a good way) but try River Song#2 if you fancy a wig out.

https://sproatlysmith.bandcamp.com/album/river-wye-suite

Peter Allen

« Reply #351 on: September 05, 2022, 04:38:12 PM »

OK I surrender , I'll give Sproatly Smith a listen , see how it goes , it's the least I can do after all of the merciless plugging I've done on TAW on  Katie's behalf ,
If I'm not on here to stretch my musical appreciation , then .......

and at least it's not Crass....
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #352 on: September 05, 2022, 05:41:03 PM »

OK I surrender , I'll give Sproatly Smith a listen , see how it goes , it's the least I can do after all of the merciless plugging I've done on TAW on  Katie's behalf ,
If I'm not on here to stretch my musical appreciation , then .......

and at least it's not Crass....

Lol.  I literally was listening to Crass over the weekend.  Penis Envy.  Their best, I reckon.  Highly recommended...  Wink

wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #353 on: September 06, 2022, 05:24:40 PM »

Back in the Grim North of England after a lovely, long trip around Wales. Keeping my spirits up by listening my way through Meinir Gwilym's catalogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9fCBhJeGCY
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #354 on: September 09, 2022, 08:47:58 AM »

I reckon there are a few on here that will love this (assuming it's not actually been made illegal to listen to music 'during this difficult time').  It's sort of jingly jangly country-rockin' indie.  Or something...  I loves it anyway.

Rolling On Til Dawn by The Roebucks https://theroebucks.bandcamp.com/album/rolling-on-til-dawn?from=fanpub_fb

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #355 on: September 09, 2022, 12:03:51 PM »

Difficult to know what to listen to this morning but I have gone for Misplaced Childhood by Marillion.

I had BBC Radio Scotland on this morning and was reminded that the Queen opened the Forth Road Bridge 6 weeks after I was born and then 50 odd years later returned to open the Queensferry Crossing.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #356 on: September 09, 2022, 03:18:51 PM »

Inspired by searching for Pillows and Prayers (mentioned on another thread) I have stumbled across some rather splendid Robin Trower (Bridge of Sighs) which should see me through to 4pm when I finish work for the day

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #357 on: September 11, 2022, 09:49:40 AM »

The new 2022 remasters of The Kinks' Muswell Hillbillies and Everybody's In Show-biz.

This is an era of the Kinks that I am unfamiliar with but it is most enjoyable, especially the studio disc from Show-biz.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #358 on: September 11, 2022, 11:18:02 AM »

The new 2022 remasters of The Kinks' Muswell Hillbillies and Everybody's In Show-biz.

This is an era of the Kinks that I am unfamiliar with but it is most enjoyable, especially the studio disc from Show-biz.

Are the previously unreleased selections worth the outlay?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #359 on: September 11, 2022, 08:37:30 PM »

Are the previously unreleased selections worth the outlay?

Jules

I'm not really in a position to judge, not previously being familiar with this stuff. They are all just new mixes I believe, three on Muswell including an unreleased song and one on Showbiz but the discs were only a tenner a piece. I think there is also a more expansive box but I didn't go for that.

I am wondering how much further to delve if the reissue campaign continues. They have reached the concept album era and none of them seem to have a great reputation.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: