TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:15:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Judy  (Read 54239 times)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2020, 03:44:01 PM »

I've remembered that Jude's gone every day since the announcement and every time it makes me sigh with sadness.

Jules

Me too. It’s one of the first things I think of. I miss her posts so much. She really added to my day. I’m enjoying her music though. I’m so pleased I found TAW, Jude and my friends here. Thanks YABB.

Indeed, same here.. we raised several glasses to Jude yesterday and has lots of reminiscing with Pastieboy.

Thank you YABB.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2020, 05:01:54 PM »

So sad to hear this news...

I feel so lucky to have caught the whole of Judy's lovely afternoon set at Cropredy just a few years ago...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 05:25:10 PM by Glen S » Logged
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2020, 06:37:04 PM »

An obit posted today on the Americana-uk website which ends with this -

"Judy Dyble was a musically enquiring and explorative talent that will be much missed but will always be remembered as an innovator and a fine singer….and as the original voice of Fairport Convention."

https://americana-uk.com/the-song-remains-judy-dyble-1949-2020#more-48314

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2020, 11:01:14 PM »

Listening to Earth is Sleeping and stunned by the album, it's beautiful with thought provoking lyrics and wonderful song arrangements. Jude was someone who knew life.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2020, 12:39:30 PM »

One of the charity shops in Bridport has a Hopf Autoharp in the window.  For a brief second, I thought "Oh, I must ask Jude about that..."  Then I felt sad Sad

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2020, 04:00:51 PM »

I've remembered that Jude's gone every day since the announcement and every time it makes me sigh with sadness.

Jules

Me too. It’s one of the first things I think of. I miss her posts so much. She really added to my day. I’m enjoying her music though. I’m so pleased I found TAW, Jude and my friends here. Thanks YABB.

Agreed - thanks, YABB, and fellow Talkawhilers; I owe you a lot.
My heart’s quite achey for the loss of Jude, and I know I’m not alone.
Excellent tributes here (my words have deserted me) 🌟

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2020, 09:33:39 PM »

One of the charity shops in Bridport has a Hopf Autoharp in the window.  For a brief second, I thought "Oh, I must ask Jude about that..."  Then I felt sad Sad

I felt similar when Battersea posted a picture of a lovely rescued greyhound.

Paul

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2020, 10:36:28 PM »

There was an article about ee cummings online today and I instantly thought “Oh, I know who...oh...” 😕

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2020, 03:50:55 PM »

Jude was acknowledged in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame In Memoriam segment Saturday night on HBO. They used an absolutely lovely photo from circa 1967-68.

It was painful to watch that whole reel (Eddie Van Halen, John Prine, Little Richard, and on and on). 2020 has been a terrible year for music fans.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2020, 04:03:39 PM »

There was an article about ee cummings online today and I instantly thought “Oh, I know who...oh...” 😕

I also heard something about EE Cummings and thought the same    Sad

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2020, 08:56:16 PM »

Jude was acknowledged in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame In Memoriam segment Saturday night on HBO. They used an absolutely lovely photo from circa 1967-68.

It was painful to watch that whole reel (Eddie Van Halen, John Prine, Little Richard, and on and on). 2020 has been a terrible year for music fans.
I wonder if there’s a recording online?

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2020, 11:37:02 AM »

Just in case nobody has spotted this:

https://dyblelongdon.bandcamp.com/

No charge - but donations to the Barley Greyhound Sanctuary...

Artist (and illustrator of many of her good friend Judy's albums) Jackie Morris has provided her playlist for the December 2020 issue of Songlines; unsurprisingly, "Heartwashing" is one of her 5 choices. Very interesting interview/article with Jackie in the magazine, too.

Flobbadob!
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2021, 09:46:22 AM »

Record collectors may be interested to note:

https://www.specialauctionservices.com/Auction-Calendar/2021/Music-Entertainment

Jude's record collection is to be sold at auction in February.

Between them, Simon and Jude amassed a vast vinyl collection, covering pretty much everything from the 60s and 70s and stretching to prog, jazz, classical and singer-songwriter. Most are to be sold as grouped collections, though there are probably a few items of particular interest for this forum:

244 - First press of Dark Side of the Moon
245 - Original release of Liege and Lief
269 - Original releases of Sandy and North Star Grassman and the Ravens
310 - Original release of Atom Heart Mother
313 - Evening Blue, a really, really good looking box set from Chris Wood (the jazzer not the folkie)

(If you're looking for Jude's collections of Terry Reid and Jefferson Airplane albums, to late! I've been gifted those!  Cool )

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2021, 09:57:16 AM »

Just to clarify...are all of the entries from 1-808 from Judy's estate?  It's not clear (to me).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2021, 10:19:40 AM »

Just to clarify...are all of the entries from 1-808 from Judy's estate?  It's not clear (to me).

No, hers are only a part of the auction, and its not entirely clear which came from her estate and which from elsewhere. I've not figured out how to search across the Lots, and the PDF of the catalogue isn't available yet.

The auction says "A number of records in the Vinyl section are from the personal collection of Judy Dyble", though I know Jude had a significant CD collection and various cassettes too which I thought were to be included in the sale.

From what I've seen, the most notable individual Lots are tagged "From the personal collection of Judy Dyble" (I've linked to a few that I managed to spot). I'm pretty sure I recognise some of the compiled Lots from her collection, but I don't see them marked as such. I don't think they have mixed up items from different collections in the compiled Lots (at least, I hope they haven't!) I'll see if I can double-check.

Edit: I've found you can search by name like this, which finds Lots that have been specifically tagged, but as I say, I'm sure there are other Lots that are from her collection that aren't marked.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2021, 10:42:34 AM »

What a treasure trove!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2021, 11:13:41 AM »

Thanks, Nick.

That Chris Wood box is nice...I nearly bought it, and have been dismayed to see its price rise since it sold out.  Is there an obvious connection between Judy and Chris/Traffic?

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2021, 11:30:25 AM »

Hmm, a couple of instruments I just might be interested in... (not the banjos, though)

Flobbadob!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2021, 02:26:30 PM »

(If you're looking for Jude's collections of Jefferson Airplane albums, to late! I've been gifted those!  Cool )

Cheers

Nick

I hear they were referred to as The Californian Fairport Convention..?  Grin Roll Eyes

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2021, 02:46:23 PM »

The auction says "A number of records in the Vinyl section are from the personal collection of Judy Dyble", though I know Jude had a significant CD collection and various cassettes too which I thought were to be included in the sale.

I've learned that this is just a first tranche of her collection. There are around 900 vinyl records in all and they're still sorting and valuing, and discovering new things in every cupboard and box. There will be further auctions along the way, including other things like HiFi and recording equipment (though the Autoharps will remain in the family.)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: