TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:19:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Judy  (Read 55170 times)
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2020, 01:09:28 PM »

I asked her about her influences in the early days and this was the reply she sent me, so I might include a track by one or two of these. Must admit I haven't heard of all of them. I'll have to see if I can find something by Harpo Marx.

Something of him singing would be extra special.  Smiley  I think I might start with Fairport's One Sure Thing, finish with the Conspirators version and go on various byways in between.

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2020, 01:48:56 PM »

One thing that always used to amuse me was when, through her interactions with new members, it was quite apparent that said new member was quite often completely oblivious to the fact that (and why should they have been otherwise) the 'Jude' introducing them was like, well, you know, the first singer in Fairport Convention.  I had a couple of good chuckles about that through the years.  She seemed as self-effacing as it was possible to be...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2020, 03:18:59 PM »

Devastated by this news, even though I only interacted with Judy on Facebook and in this forum. I've read some wonderful tributes from people here and also in the press.

Currently listening to Summer Dancing, which is one my favourite albums of recent years. I once mentioned that I bought it on CD and vinyl on her Facebook feed and she thanked me and called me a 'Lovely person'!

My condolences to the family and friends.

My Mum date of cancer at the same age just over a year ago.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2020, 04:20:34 PM »

I asked her about her influences in the early days and this was the reply she sent me, so I might include a track by one or two of these. Must admit I haven't heard of all of them. I'll have to see if I can find something by Harpo Marx.

Something of him singing would be extra special.  Smiley  I think I might start with Fairport's One Sure Thing, finish with the Conspirators version and go on various byways in between.

I believe Harpo's rendition of John Cage's 4'33" is a "must-hear". Only a slight apology for my levity - I'd like to think Judy would have a giggle...

Flobbadob!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2020, 05:07:25 PM »

I believe Harpo's rendition of John Cage's 4'33" is a "must-hear". Only a slight apology for my levity - I'd like to think Judy would have a giggle...

I'll have that playing in the background between songs.

I've put a playlist together. Can't really concentrate on anything else this afternoon.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2020, 05:59:24 PM »

One thing that always used to amuse me was when, through her interactions with new members, it was quite apparent that said new member was quite often completely oblivious to the fact that (and why should they have been otherwise) the 'Jude' introducing them was like, well, you know, the first singer in Fairport Convention.  I had a couple of good chuckles about that through the years.  She seemed as self-effacing as it was possible to be...

That was the case with me, when I first joined. And, as you implied, she never pushed it. Lovely, lovely person.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Kathryn
A sucker for a hurdy-gurdy

Loc: Lincolnville Beach, Maine, USA

« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2020, 06:20:40 PM »

I am so saddened by this news. She was such a lovely, funny, generous lady. I so enjoyed our brief conversations at Cropredy in 2014 and ‘17. It was truly  a joy to meet her in person.
My heartfelt thoughts for good memories and  Healing go to all her family and friends.

Will raise an e e cummings  to her this evening while  listening to her sing....
Wandering Steve

« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2020, 06:23:26 PM »

Sad news
Condolences to friends and family.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2020, 06:59:37 PM »

I've started to write something 3 times on this thread but deleted it as it seemed inadequate  Undecided

I've read all the online obits (even The Star - I hope that doesn't stay in my cookies!) and this thread, plus Facebook & Twitter. She was very much loved, I don't think she had any idea how much...

Judy was very kind to me when Mike was diagnosed with COPD, something she had suffered from for years. Also when I missed a deadline to get a signed copy of her book, she was more than happy to oblige. I will miss her Facebook posts, her gentle humour and her love for her dogs. I loved her twinkly tree idea and I'm creating one in my garden so when the sun shines the garden will be full of sparkles Smiley

One comment that has stuck in my mind is "if only more people were like Judy the world would be a nicer place" and I think that says everything. Help make the world a better place - be more like Judy!  

RIP friend x

Well that definitely wasn't inadequate, Bridge.  That was lovely.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2020, 07:03:32 PM »

Influences were Phil Ochs, Eric Anderson, The Left Banke, Ornette Coleman, Miles Davis, John Handy, Clarence Ashley, Lovin Spoonful, Judy Collins, Leonard Cohen, George Melly, The Marx Brothers....etc etc.

Phil Ochs at the top of the list and The Marx Brothers signing off at the other end.  Now that's taste.

Jules

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2020, 11:39:48 PM »

I've started to write something 3 times on this thread but deleted it as it seemed inadequate  Undecided

I've read all the online obits (even The Star - I hope that doesn't stay in my cookies!) and this thread, plus Facebook & Twitter. She was very much loved, I don't think she had any idea how much...

Judy was very kind to me when Mike was diagnosed with COPD, something she had suffered from for years. Also when I missed a deadline to get a signed copy of her book, she was more than happy to oblige. I will miss her Facebook posts, her gentle humour and her love for her dogs. I loved her twinkly tree idea and I'm creating one in my garden so when the sun shines the garden will be full of sparkles Smiley

One comment that has stuck in my mind is "if only more people were like Judy the world would be a nicer place" and I think that says everything. Help make the world a better place - be more like Judy!  

RIP friend x

Jules
Thank you Jules - it was my 5th or 6th attempt!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2020, 08:43:36 AM »

Help make the world a better place - be more like Judy!  

RIP friend x

Jules

Absolutely on all points. I will miss your special brand of bonkers, Jude. Love always.  Kiss Cry xxxx

Well I never did..
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2020, 10:07:22 AM »

Has anyone else noticed that most of the obituaries mention that she first reunited with Fairport at the 1997 Cropredy Festival, when she actually appeared with them in 1981 at Broughton Castle (as recorded on the Moat On The Ledge album)?  Just a little mistake, but it bugs me a little, for no apparent reason other than my being a detail person!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2020, 11:37:53 AM »

I came across some photos of Jude on kevin_ayres8's account on Instagram. Most are from her childhood but there's this one which I hadn't seen before and must've been from the very early days of Fairport.

* Early Fairport.jpg (185.93 KB, 802x520 - viewed 943 times.)

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2020, 11:44:36 AM »

I came across some photos of Jude on kevin_ayres8's account on Instagram. Most are from her childhood but there's this one which I hadn't seen before and must've been from the very early days of Fairport.

You can tell how young they are by how big that guitar looks on little Simon.

Jules

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2020, 01:18:31 PM »

Jules
I thought it was a uke.... Wink

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2020, 08:00:15 PM »

Jules
I thought it was a uke.... Wink
Yuk, yuk  Smiley
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2020, 09:57:53 AM »

That's a beautiful trbute Brij.  I have nothing to add except a real sense of loss. Judy was a truly lovely person and my heart goes out to her grieving family and Jesse.

RIP friend x
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 10:44:14 AM by Andy » Logged

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2020, 03:04:09 PM »

I've remembered that Jude's gone every day since the announcement and every time it makes me sigh with sadness.

Jules

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2020, 03:09:17 PM »

I've remembered that Jude's gone every day since the announcement and every time it makes me sigh with sadness.

Jules

Me too. It’s one of the first things I think of. I miss her posts so much. She really added to my day. I’m enjoying her music though. I’m so pleased I found TAW, Jude and my friends here. Thanks YABB.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: