TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:58:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Judy  (Read 55053 times)
Tony F

Loc: Portland, OR USA

« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2020, 12:11:07 AM »

So very sad to hear this news. What a sweetheart Judy was. Of course I thought of this TWA family, my condolences to all of you.
frogcrutches
Pond Life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Pontypridd, South Wales.

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2020, 12:55:30 AM »

Karen (Carrot) here.
 Judy, I met you a few times at Cropredy. It was a pleasure, such a lovely lady. You'll be missed so much. My thoughts and condolences go out to your family. Sleep tight. xxx

Methinks thou art laden with stools.
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2020, 02:33:18 AM »

Judy, it was an honor to share discourse with you here on the board. I loved your wit, warmth and humanity. Wherever your journeys may take you, you have my deepest thanks. You made my world a happier place.

Fondly,
Pat
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2020, 05:50:25 AM »

So many people with only lovely, positive things to say about Judy.  And rightly so.  That says it all, I think.

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
SteveT

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2020, 07:05:43 AM »

Goodnight to a beautiful soul. RIP Judy  Cry
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2020, 08:54:16 AM »

Jude.  Such a wonderful lady.
Sleep well with all your dogs xxx

it'll be fine.......
Tertonmike

Loc: Dublin

Still At It...

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2020, 08:55:37 AM »

Very sad news.  Jude was, as everyone has said, very welcoming and helpful to new members here, and I remember her defusing a number of potential arguments before they became unpleasant.   She only ever wanted the best for all of us, and we are the poorer for her passing.  RIP Jude.

"Music is the antidote
To the world of pain and sorrow"
Miguel Cajon (Mick)
having Nuts educating me
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2020, 09:19:46 AM »

Lovely Jude, so kind and gentle. Sleep well. x

Loving it
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2020, 10:04:03 AM »

So sad, I met her just once at Cropredy, such a lovely lady.
sliprigilio (Al)
my it's should be its

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2020, 10:06:37 AM »

Very, very sad news  Cry

Slippy
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2020, 10:47:41 AM »

Pretty much what everyone else has said. Lovely lady, one of the highlights of Cropredy was bumping into her, usually with a tall dog in tow.
Thom

« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2020, 10:50:03 AM »

I only browse here and rarely log in, but I wanted to add my voice to the tributes. Have admired her work and her voice for many years, and was glad to have been able to tell her as much, just outside the Albert Hall last year before a King Crimson gig; fans will doubtless know she was the first to sing on a pre-King Crimson recording of I Talk To The Wind, the only song from the first album they didn't play that evening.

Rest in peace.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2020, 10:53:39 AM »

Plenty of media mentions....

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/fairport-convention-singer-judy-dyble-dies-71-a4496016.html

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/5803289/judy-dyble-dead-fairport-convention/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-judy-dyble-dead-fairpoint-22343320

https://www.nme.com/news/music/fairport-convention-singer-judy-dyble-has-died-2706172

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1308514/Judy-Dyble-dead-death-fairport-convention-singer-Simon-Nicol-pictures-news-latest-update

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/breaking-judy-dyble-dead-fairport-22343340

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/12/fairport-convention-singer-judy-dyble-dies-aged-71-long-illness-12979637/

and her wiki page already updated
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Dyble

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2020, 11:07:09 AM »

Very sad news. Seeing Judy with Fairport in 2017 (and 2002) was special, but her solo spot in 2017 was wonderful and led me to listen to her solo work a bit more. I also PM'ed her on here asking about availability of CDs etc, and as you'd expect I got a lovely reply.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2020, 11:54:50 AM »

Such incredibly sad news. I've just had a look through some messages that Jude sent me back in 2008 when I started on Diversity FM. She was so supportive and over the next few years sent me a couple of cds and the occasional mp3. Sad I never got to meet her or see her in concert.

I'll have to think about what tracks to play in tribute to her on my next radio show. Certainly one or two songs from Talking With Strangers which I was listening to yesterday evening.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2020, 12:07:26 PM »

Such incredibly sad news. I've just had a look through some messages that Jude sent me back in 2008 when I started on Diversity FM. She was so supportive and over the next few years sent me a couple of cds and the occasional mp3. Sad I never got to meet her or see her in concert.

I'll have to think about what tracks to play in tribute to her on my next radio show. Certainly one or two songs from Talking With Strangers which I was listening to yesterday evening.

Summer Dancing is a good one. I'm listening to that now.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2020, 12:25:43 PM »

I've started to write something 3 times on this thread but deleted it as it seemed inadequate  Undecided

I've read all the online obits (even The Star - I hope that doesn't stay in my cookies!) and this thread, plus Facebook & Twitter. She was very much loved, I don't think she had any idea how much...

Judy was very kind to me when Mike was diagnosed with COPD, something she had suffered from for years. Also when I missed a deadline to get a signed copy of her book, she was more than happy to oblige. I will miss her Facebook posts, her gentle humour and her love for her dogs. I loved her twinkly tree idea and I'm creating one in my garden so when the sun shines the garden will be full of sparkles Smiley

One comment that has stuck in my mind is "if only more people were like Judy the world would be a nicer place" and I think that says everything. Help make the world a better place - be more like Judy!  

RIP friend x

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2020, 12:31:46 PM »

The same here, in terms of sending her music over (to Adelaide, Australia) for me to play on air, and even agreeing to a Skype interview a few years ago.  She didn't have to do any of the above, but was just the sort of person to do so anyway.  I have the same problem regarding what songs to play in tribute - there is such diversity among it all that if you're choosing just a handful or so, you're going to miss something important.  But we can do our best.

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2020, 12:53:43 PM »

The same here, in terms of sending her music over (to Adelaide, Australia) for me to play on air, and even agreeing to a Skype interview a few years ago.  She didn't have to do any of the above, but was just the sort of person to do so anyway.  I have the same problem regarding what songs to play in tribute - there is such diversity among it all that if you're choosing just a handful or so, you're going to miss something important.  But we can do our best.

I asked her about her influences in the early days and this was the reply she sent me, so I might include a track by one or two of these. Must admit I haven't heard of all of them. I'll have to see if I can find something by Harpo Marx.

Influences were Phil Ochs, Eric Anderson, The Left Banke, Ornette Coleman, Miles Davis, John Handy, Clarence Ashley, Lovin Spoonful, Judy Collins, Leonard Cohen, George Melly,The Marx Brothers....etc etc. As you can see the influences were many and varied and eclectic and I haven't even really started. we were all influenced by different musical styles and everyone was appreciative of everyone else's likes and dislikes. It was just a vast mixture of what we were listening to and how we could change it to make it distinctively FC. That's what I remember anyway. Others would say differently probably.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2020, 01:07:41 PM »

So sad that we have lost this lovely lady - so gentle & kind - we can all learn a lot from her attitude & values.

RIP Judy xxxx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: