TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:01:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Judy  (Read 55329 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2020, 05:19:46 PM »

Echo what everyone else has said. This was a real gut punch to wake up to this morning. Last year I picked up one of Jude’s albums in Dublin and mentioned in ‘Listening To’ that I was loving it. Seriously no more than 5 minutes later was a private message thanking me. That was really touching. I’m very sad at this news

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2020, 05:20:15 PM »

RIP Astral Folk Goddess... 😪😪😪😪😪😪😪❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2020, 05:35:51 PM »

When I joined Talkawhile in 2007, Judy was the first person to welcome me and make feel part of the community. She was an ever open, friendly, welcoming presence and this place in particular will be the poorer without her. It has been such a privilege that she would share her time and her world with us in this way. So long Jude. Safe travels. I will be raising a glass of e e Cummings in the Arms.

I was about to say the self same thing. Jude had such a huge kind heart. She made us all feel like she valued our friendship and were a part of her life.

She leaves a huge hole in our community.

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2020, 05:55:28 PM »

So sad. A lovely gentle person. Liked her, right from "Ribbon Bow" times. To get to know her, even just a tiny wee bit, here on TAW has been a thrill.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2020, 06:01:42 PM »

What sad news. I only met Jude a couple of times but she was always kind and friendly and had the most welcoming smile you could ever hope to see.
 There was such a quality of warmth that shone through even the most straightforward of her posts here. You couldn't help but think "If there were more people like Jude in the world, it would be a much better and happier place"  Smiley

Sincere condolences to her family. We were lucky to know her, even just a little bit.

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2020, 06:34:40 PM »

We had a lovely visit with Jude way back in 2007, a few days before our first Cropredy, at a little pub near Banbury. She brought with her a rescued greyhound, and most of our conversation was about this poor, high-strung dog and its recovery. She was a genuine expert on this subject, and I think she would have saved every greyhound in the world, if she could have. RIP.  Sad
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2020, 08:15:42 PM »

Cry  Cry Cry

Happy mainly.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2020, 08:17:39 PM »

Prog magazine pays their respects

https://www.loudersound.com/news/former-fairport-convention-singer-judy-dyble-remembered

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2020, 08:26:10 PM »

As does the BBC Arts & Entertainment page (headliner!)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53382561

YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2020, 08:57:16 PM »

In case you don't know:

Jude posted a lot in a section that you probably can't see. It can only be seen by new members of TAW. She made them welcome, and often surprised them.
She clocked up over 14,000 hours on TAW.

Also at these times people are prone to enthuse about what a lovely person somebody was. Make no mistake Jude was lovely.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2020, 08:58:37 PM »

This is just awful.

I found Judy to be delightful, and fun. I loved reading about her garden and her greyhounds as well as her music.

RIP lovely Judy.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2020, 09:01:14 PM »

I've just logged on to find this very sad news. Judy was fantastic to message regarding her retired greyhounds and we spoke about them each time she rescued another and gave them a happy life, we even met one or two at Cropredy. I feel Talkawhile has lost one of the best and Judy will be so missed. Condolences to her family at this sad time.

J.x

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2020, 09:22:42 PM »

Goodnight Judy, beautiful soul RIP.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2020, 09:58:48 PM »

This from the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/12/fairport-convention-singer-judy-dyble-dies-aged-71

The Dude abides
Simon Withers

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2020, 10:23:06 PM »

I share all the sentiments here with the very sad announcement today of Jude's passing. I only got to know Jude over the last three years or so through my dear friend and recent collaborator with Judy. The LP they have recorded and which is to be released in September will (I hope) be something that will be loved and treasured by fans of both Fairport convention and Big Big Train. It was always lovely when Jude would interject on conversations on this forum and she will be sadly missed within this community. Jude, thank you for being, I will miss you Jude as will many. Be at rest xx
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2020, 10:27:13 PM »

In case you don't know:

Jude posted a lot in a section that you probably can't see. It can only be seen by new members of TAW. She made them welcome, and often surprised them.
She clocked up over 14,000 hours on TAW.

Also at these times people are prone to enthuse about what a lovely person somebody was. Make no mistake Jude was lovely.

I was always hugely impressed at the thought of someone logging in for the first time and being welcomed by ‘Jude’. And then...wait, who...!? You only got that treat once.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2020, 10:29:33 PM »

I spoke to Jude loads of times on here, and she was always lovely. I spoke to her once on the field, and she was even more lovely. I was a bit star struck, and spent most of the time talking to Tiggy, she didn't seem to mind. I loved her singing voice, she could teach a lot of singers in my group about phrasing and expression. She could really put meaning over in a song, and had a real ethereal quality to her voice.
Not only was she lovely to us humans, but she lived for her greyhounds. There are quite a few greyhounds who ended their lives in the most loved situation they could have because of her kindness to them.
I am really sad at her passing.

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2020, 10:39:35 PM »

Jackie Morris has written a lovely piece in her blog.

http://www.jackiemorris.co.uk/a-letter-to-a-friend-between-a-breath-and-a-breath/

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Swamp Donkey (Keith)

Loc: Bedfordshire

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2020, 11:03:39 PM »

So sad. Only met the loverly lady once when she was presented with a Handcock Award at the bar at Cropredy. I was honoured that she was on TAW, she felt like part of the family. RIP Jude.

Well it's turned out nice again!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2020, 11:39:08 PM »

Jude was, I think, our most famous regular, yet there were no airs and graces about her.  On the contrary, she proved herself to be a woman of the people time after time.

Oh I wish she hadn't had to leave us.  It's just awful.

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: