TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:23:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming releases of interest  (Read 139605 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #360 on: June 01, 2022, 10:30:04 AM »

A boxed set of Bridget St John's post Dandelion material, i.e. Jumblequeen, Take the fifth and an assortment of session and demo material.

It was announced a while ago that Cherry Red had acquired the rights to this material,  and here it is. Some of it, particularly Takethe Fifth,  has been unavailable for a while.

Here's the link.  Looks essential... https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/bridget-st-john-from-there-to-here-uk-us-recordings-1974-1982-3cd-box-set/

Thanks for the link David.   I'll be getting this one  in spite of the duplication involved.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #361 on: June 04, 2022, 08:44:55 PM »

I've just seen on Super deluxe editions that Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus is to be reissued, at the end if July, as an 8 disc set, including the July 29, 1977 show at the Free Trade Hall Manchester, which i missed as i was on my honeymoon in Ireland, having married the current Mrs C just 4 days earlier.
    It could be the perfect 45th anniversary present  Roll Eyes
 I wonder what she will think about it Shocked

The Dude abides
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #362 on: June 05, 2022, 10:34:24 AM »

I've just seen on Super deluxe editions that Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus is to be reissued, at the end if July, as an 8 disc set, including the July 29, 1977 show at the Free Trade Hall Manchester, which i missed as i was on my honeymoon in Ireland, having married the current Mrs C just 4 days earlier.

Apparently the traditional 45th wedding anniversary gift is a pair of dungarees and a socket wrench, so knock yourself out…

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #363 on: June 05, 2022, 05:12:56 PM »

Looks very interesting . They played one of the best ever sets at Cropredy.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #364 on: June 05, 2022, 05:25:31 PM »

They have been playing the album in full recently. There are quite a few free and legal downloads on archive.org.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #365 on: June 08, 2022, 08:18:30 AM »

Before the Day is Done: the story of Folk Heritage Records 1968-1975 3CD set

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/before-the-day-is-done-the-story-of-folk-heritage-records-1968-1975-3cd-box-set/?fbclid=IwAR3E7HAFu-bTNLaWWGZf2gRchpsuCE-4Q_h9btUExfHAVqsvTW3vA9cDSAA

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #366 on: June 08, 2022, 09:06:07 AM »

I haven't heard of Folk  Heritage Records, so most of the artists featured are new to me. Still, it makes a change from folk compilations where I already have more than half the tracks. 🙂
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #367 on: June 08, 2022, 11:14:37 AM »

That looks like a must-have.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #368 on: June 12, 2022, 10:01:02 PM »

I have heard some of these acts and those I have, I have enjoyed, but often I understand why they never broke through, despite their talent, in a lot of cases. I find moments from them on albums, but barely enough to fill an album and I skip through what I have of theirs to specific tracks. Still others may find more.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #369 on: June 13, 2022, 07:43:09 AM »

I have heard some of these acts and those I have, I have enjoyed, but often I understand why they never broke through, despite their talent, in a lot of cases. I find moments from them on albums, but barely enough to fill an album and I skip through what I have of theirs to specific tracks. Still others may find more.

Sounds like a bloody strong argument for a nice compilation, then?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #370 on: June 13, 2022, 09:10:52 AM »

Thinking the way  I do about CD reissues as a whole,  I wonder how many of the tracks on such a compilation are taken from master tapes, and how many are needle drops from the  scarce albums?
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #371 on: June 13, 2022, 09:25:10 AM »

Thinking the way  I do about CD reissues as a whole,  I wonder how many of the tracks on such a compilation are taken from master tapes, and how many are needle drops from the  scarce albums?

How many reissues are done from needle drops? I thought that was just a pirating technique. Am I being naive?

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #372 on: June 13, 2022, 09:28:07 AM »

How many reissues are done from needle drops? I thought that was just a pirating technique. Am I being naive?

To some degree.  A lot of comps are from needle drops...but sometimes that all that remains and it's not necessarily underhand in any way.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #373 on: June 13, 2022, 02:09:27 PM »

Some legit releases are needle drops, if tapes are unavailable or lost.  Record companies are not obliged to say 'buyer beware' in these cases. They will however generally tell us if original tapes have been used.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #374 on: August 12, 2022, 12:00:35 PM »

There's a new ISB Fillmore '70 recording released today (radio broadcast - who knows where the profits go) https://www.viveleshop.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-incredible-string-band-live-at-filmore-west-1970-cd-released-12-08-22

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #375 on: August 12, 2022, 03:42:30 PM »

Richard Thompson Acoustic Trio live album coming on bandcamp 26th August...

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #376 on: August 12, 2022, 06:04:22 PM »

"Live in Honolulu"!  

Does not include " I wish I was a fool for uke again"!  Wink

Flobbadob!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #377 on: August 12, 2022, 09:25:58 PM »

"Live in Honolulu"!  

Does not include " I wish I was a fool for uke again"!  Wink

Lei-la

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #378 on: August 13, 2022, 06:46:36 AM »

Oh I say - well played, sir!  Cheesy

Flobbadob!
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #379 on: August 13, 2022, 09:09:34 AM »

There's a new ISB Fillmore '70 recording released today (radio broadcast - who knows where the profits go) https://www.viveleshop.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-incredible-string-band-live-at-filmore-west-1970-cd-released-12-08-22

Yes, I'm curious about this.  Official? Who knows? I may ask Mr Whittaker.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: