TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:12:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming releases of interest  (Read 144917 times)
Paul B

« Reply #340 on: March 24, 2022, 08:42:00 AM »

https://richardthompson.bandcamp.com/album/music-from-grizzly-man

Missing track 19 "Coyotes" by Don Edwards -one for completists only?
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #341 on: March 30, 2022, 08:10:59 PM »

Apparently Unta's been recording. Excellent news.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #342 on: March 31, 2022, 09:44:45 AM »

For those of a certain persuasion, there's some interesting stuff here...and it includes their first physical release....a ltd (500) CD release of the Keith Tippett Group at the height of their powers in 1970.

https://britishprogressivejazz.com/

Interesting. How 'free is it, David?  I like British jazz, but only if it isn't what George Melly described as 'fire in the zoo'.  I know free improv is serious music, but I can't take it.

I recently bought the 10"  Ian Carr Double Quintet :  Solar Session (Jazz in Britain) It's nice.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #343 on: March 31, 2022, 11:05:32 AM »

Yep. He's been back in the studio for a while. He also takes the lead vocal on a track on the new Dirty Knobs (Mike Campbell) album. I think Campbell plays some guitar on Ian's forthcoming record too.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #344 on: March 31, 2022, 11:22:03 AM »

Yep. He's been back in the studio for a while. He also takes the lead vocal on a track on the new Dirty Knobs (Mike Campbell) album. I think Campbell plays some guitar on Ian's forthcoming record too.

Class name, eh?  Not.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #345 on: March 31, 2022, 08:19:04 PM »

Class name, eh?  Not.

Yes, not the best, especially from a man of Cambell's vintage but he has been playing shows under that name for decades. I imagine it has some specific derivation other than the obvious. Their first album a couple of years ago was great.

Edit: Named after the cause of a faulty amp in the studio apparently but with a clear double entendre
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #346 on: March 31, 2022, 09:40:05 PM »

Class name, eh?  Not.

Guitarists who have experienced crackling with their volume and tone controls, especially American ones, might demur.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #347 on: May 23, 2022, 10:34:45 AM »

I don't know if any others have a fondness for Kula Shaker, but after a gap of several years they have a new double album coming out -released on 10th June 2022, called 1st Congretional Church of Eternal Love and Free Hugs

https://store.kulashaker.co.uk/products/1st-congretional-church-of-eternal-love-and-free-hugs-cd

They are also doing some gigs in the UK and Japan
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #348 on: May 23, 2022, 11:37:06 AM »

I don't know if any others have a fondness for Kula Shaker, but after a gap of several years they have a new double album coming out -released on 10th June 2022, called 1st Congretional Church of Eternal Love and Free Hugs

https://store.kulashaker.co.uk/products/1st-congretional-church-of-eternal-love-and-free-hugs-cd

I haven't listened to much from them since their first couple of albums. I have a friend who spent her late teens living in a Krishna temple and she finds Crispian's spiritual influences somewhat nauseating.

But I saw them at T in the Park a couple of times back in the day and enjoyed their music. Didn't their keyboard player go off and join Oasis?

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #349 on: May 23, 2022, 12:08:25 PM »

I haven't listened to much from them since their first couple of albums. I have a friend who spent her late teens living in a Krishna temple and she finds Crispian's spiritual influences somewhat nauseating.

But I saw them at T in the Park a couple of times back in the day and enjoyed their music. Didn't their keyboard player go off and join Oasis?

I think a lot of the spiritualism is fairly tongue in cheek.  They were ridiculous posh idiots (I mean look at his heritage) who said lots of stupid things - that whole Swastika thing backfired on them enormously.  But having said that they were a blast to see live around the time of the first album...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #350 on: May 23, 2022, 12:34:53 PM »

I think a lot of the spiritualism is fairly tongue in cheek.  They were ridiculous posh idiots (I mean look at his heritage) who said lots of stupid things - that whole Swastika thing backfired on them enormously.  But having said that they were a blast to see live around the time of the first album...

I was really into them back then - bought most of their cd singles. First time I saw the at T they played one of the marquee stages in the afternoon and it was packed out.

The whole class thing still gets picked up on. It's a bit of an obsession here in the UK. Look at Frank Turner. He went to Eton but that wasn't his choice. I know his sister and as she said for families like them, that's what happened - you got sent off to boarding school. Frank then got into metal and punk and has now released his 9th studio album.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #351 on: May 23, 2022, 01:43:59 PM »

I was really into them back then - bought most of their cd singles. First time I saw the at T they played one of the marquee stages in the afternoon and it was packed out.

The whole class thing still gets picked up on. It's a bit of an obsession here in the UK. Look at Frank Turner. He went to Eton but that wasn't his choice. I know his sister and as she said for families like them, that's what happened - you got sent off to boarding school. Frank then got into metal and punk and has now released his 9th studio album.

It's a rock n roll thing isn't it. You have to be seen to pay your dues, not have your daddy pay them for you!  Grin

It can be unfortunate. There are certainly some very talented atrists who had privileged upbringings that can work against them. They can't help their background but by the same token their background often affords them opportunities that others do not have. The British public in general don't like any hint of unfair advantage. I personally think that Sean Lennon is something close to a genius. He is a brilliantly gifted musician and writer but his parentage (and his slightly avant garde leanings) probably works against him in terms of popular acceptance even if they have actually enabled his work and his access to the media. But Kula Shaker had a couple of songs that were catchy enough to succeed in their own right before people knew too much about them.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #352 on: May 23, 2022, 03:36:35 PM »

It's a rock n roll thing isn't it. You have to be seen to pay your dues, not have your daddy pay them for you!  Grin

It can be unfortunate. There are certainly some very talented atrists who had privileged upbringings that can work against them. They can't help their background but by the same token their background often affords them opportunities that others do not have. The British public in general don't like any hint of unfair advantage. I personally think that Sean Lennon is something close to a genius. He is a brilliantly gifted musician and writer but his parentage (and his slightly avant garde leanings) probably works against him in terms of popular acceptance even if they have actually enabled his work and his access to the media. But Kula Shaker had a couple of songs that were catchy enough to succeed in their own right before people knew too much about them.

I'd agree with you there.  But for every Sean there is a Julian....

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #353 on: May 23, 2022, 03:49:13 PM »

I don't think that was the case with Frank. From what I've read he cut off all contact with his parents after he left school so there was no cash from them when he started trying to earn a living playing music.

And being the offspring of famous musicians can be an albatross around your neck. I think Sean Lennon has probably had an easier time of it than Julian, as has Dhani Harrison and Zak Starkey. But I don't envy James McCartney as his old man casts a very long shadow.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #354 on: May 23, 2022, 04:12:35 PM »

I'd agree with you there.  But for every Sean there is a Julian....

Julian is a case in point. He seems to be a nice guy and pretty level headed (against all odds) but was a fairly pedestrian musician. I actually like some of his stuff but there is no question that his music career was enabled by his parentage, particularly in the wake of his father's death, but faded pretty quickly when it became clear that he didn't have the chops to sustain it.

I think Sean Lennon has probably had an easier time of it than Julian

It is an interesting comparison. Julian got major record industry backing and early but fleeting commercial success. Sean is critically loved but commercially ignored and has had to make his way largely without industry support.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #355 on: May 23, 2022, 04:28:57 PM »

Sean is critically loved but commercially ignored and has had to make his way largely without industry support.

I imagine he scrapes by....  Wink Grin (and comments like that illustrate exactly the problem he's up against, poor love).

I actually reckon Zak might be the winner of child of iconic musician who has somehow made his own and highly successful way in the same business award....

Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #356 on: May 23, 2022, 04:39:19 PM »

I just like Kula Shaker's music , enjoy Crispin's vocals and song writing and love seeing them live. (Plus I thought Haley Mills was the bee's knees when I was a nipper - Parent trap, Pollyanna etc).  I couldn't give a monkeys about spiritualism, if he uses it as a base to inspire joyful English psychedelic raga rock:-  good show!

I am sure a lot of there stuff is tongue in cheek - look at the song Hari Bol on K 2.0 (released 2016) about the wine gums Harybo, 0k I know its actually Sanskrit, meaning chant the name of the god Hari, but I prefer to interpret the lyrics are about a sucky sweet.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #357 on: May 30, 2022, 11:09:56 AM »

Great news from Dr Strangely Strange on FB:

Our RADIO SESSIONS CD is due out this October on the Think Like A Key Music label. In our heyday, we recorded only two BBC radio sessions, a Top Gear slot and an In Concert, both with John Peel. Frustratingly, the BBC’s tapes were wiped, but after extensive research with European collectors, TLAK has been able to locate off-air recordings of both sessions, which have been painstakingly restored. Added to these are brief radio sessions for Dutch and Danish radio sourced from the original recordings, as well as a Dublin rehearsal take of Sign On My Mind featuring Gary Moore, our friend and guest on Heavy Petting. The accompanying 24-page illustrated booklet has been compiled by Fitting Pieces To The Jigsaw author Adrian Whittaker.

Interesting.
We've already got a rehearsal take of  'Sign on my Mind'.  Is this a different one?

The "Take 1" on the Hux CD reissue?  Good question.  I've asked...

And the answer to the question "Just wondering if this version of Sign on my Mind is different to the additional "Take 1" on the Hux Heavy Petting?" comes back from the band: "that’s what I wonder. I suspect yes."

Ah! Smiley

Just spoken to Adrian Whittaker - biographer etc.  It's definitely a different take of SomM  Smiley

Good. Now I just have to decide if I need the disc. :-)

Talking of old radio material and off air recordings,  plans are afoot for a large box of Martin Carthy radio stuff. There's been a call out for anyone with old cassettes. That could include me, but my tape collection is in miscellaneous boxes and was never systematically sorted anyway.

The first review is in (from British psychedelic historian - and mate - Andy Roberts on FB).  Note that sadly it (the CD) is not available until October:

"Dr Strangely Strange
Radio Sessions
TLAK 1133
Well, what a surprise. This turned up in the post and clearly necessitated time to be put aside for a serious listening. So this afternoon I took a long sit down and gave it a glistening, listening thought which turned out to be this…
Listening to Dr Strangely Strange has, for me, always been like going to church, a particularly acid-drenched church set deep in the countryside where, as one of their songs put it, ‘time delivers a handstand and the colours are ever so bright.’ So the arrival of these Radio Sessions which included some scarce Strangelies songs immediately drew me in…
Beginning with a rehearsal of Sign on My Mind, from the Heavy Petting sessions, this one is just as groovy and essential as the album version, with slightly less fluid whistle and gorgeous guitar from Gary Moore. Then we’re into a couple of tracks from John Peel’s Top Gear (6/6/70), Ashling and Mary Malone of Moscow. The sound quality leaves something to be desired, but that desire is far outweighed by the existence of the tracks at all, and Strangelies fans will love them for what and how they are.
Then to a recording for In Concert (1/11/70) of Frosty Mornings, Horse of a Different Hue, On the West Cork Hack, Ballad if the Wasps and Sweet Red Rape. Again, the sound quality isn’t brilliant but that’s not why we’re here is it; listen to Coldplay if you want that sort of nonsense. These are delightfully ramshackle versions of songs we’ve come to know and love, musical diaries of events in the lives of the Strangelies some, I’m happy to report, the result of playing out whilst on acid (Goulding explains further in the notes). Frosty Mornings has a slightly different ending, Horse canters along nicely before going delightfully jazz-prog-folk-tastic and fading out. On the West Cork Hack stars the trippy Howson Phonofiddle and Ballad of the Wasps is as tremendous as ever, a rollocking acid parable and cautionary tale if ever there was one. The final track from this session, Sweet Red Rape is another Strangelies rarity and not on either of their original albums, inviting you to join them in downtown Belmullet in a sort of mutated blues about, well, the title of the song. As with Horse this one rocks out toward the end and never has bird seed been so celebrated!
Then just one track from Dutch Radio (9/4/71). But what a track! It’s Gave My Love An Apple, from Heavy Petting and Booth forewarns the audience that Ivan is going to take a solo. Radically different from the album version, I laughed all the way through; cod gospel? psychedelic country? faux-wop? Pub singalong? It’s all there! Gay & Terry Woods too and Ivan ‘wah wah’ Pawle’s solo. It’s all joyous, life affirming stuff played with enthusiasm and humour.
The album finishes with another track from Dutch radio (20/3/71) and it’s another Sign on My Mind. Can you have too many Signs? No, obviously not. This one has some band chatter as it slides into the song itself, with added bongos! As usual I felt the urge to dance to the skies as the boys wailed away, passing on the open secret that, as we all know, things aren’t what they would appear (but nor are they different as the Zen saying has it).
But there’s more! A brief group chat, typically surreal, funny and self deprecating, about the origins of the band and its name. Then it stopped. Awwww.
So, it’s perhaps not the album you’d choose if you were trying to persuade someone that the Strangelies are one of the best bands ever (your mileage may vary, mine never does) but if you’re a fan this is essential stuff. And if you’re not a fan start with Heavy Petting and work backwards and forwards. Strangelies chronicler Adrian Whittaker has done a marvellous job in sourcing these tracks and ensuring they see the light of day and has provided detailed sleeve notes in the accompanying booklet
The only sad thing about this release is that I don’t think it’s available to mere mortals until October, but that’ll be here before you know it"

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #358 on: June 01, 2022, 09:22:08 AM »

A boxed set of Bridget St John's post Dandelion material, i.e. Jumblequeen, Take the fifth and an assortment of session and demo material.

It was announced a while ago that Cherry Red had acquired the rights to this material,  and here it is. Some of it, particularly Takethe Fifth,  has been unavailable for a while.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #359 on: June 01, 2022, 09:51:11 AM »

A boxed set of Bridget St John's post Dandelion material, i.e. Jumblequeen, Take the fifth and an assortment of session and demo material.

It was announced a while ago that Cherry Red had acquired the rights to this material,  and here it is. Some of it, particularly Takethe Fifth,  has been unavailable for a while.

Here's the link.  Looks essential... https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/bridget-st-john-from-there-to-here-uk-us-recordings-1974-1982-3cd-box-set/

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: