TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:07:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thursday headliner 2019?  (Read 132472 times)
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2018, 12:41:23 PM »

Love the Braggster,  always enjoy seeing him and feeling his passion.  He's not a Thursday night headliner though at least in my view.

I'd love them to pluck another Brian Wilson or Alice Cooper out of the air,  someone I've never seen , then again Joan A fits that bill.

I've never seen Slade and no idea what they're like without Noddy,  or if they'd pull extra punters in,  or if they are a headliner,  but as I can't think of anyone else why not ?

and the stars look very different today
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #201 on: November 08, 2018, 01:23:35 PM »

I've never seen Slade and no idea what they're like without Noddy,  or if they'd pull extra punters in,  or if they are a headliner,  but as I can't think of anyone else why not ?

Because, as you said, no Noddy.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #202 on: November 08, 2018, 01:30:49 PM »

Love the Braggster,  always enjoy seeing him and feeling his passion.  He's not a Thursday night headliner though at least in my view.

I'd love them to pluck another Brian Wilson or Alice Cooper out of the air,  someone I've never seen , then again Joan A fits that bill.

Saw Slade at Butlins a couple of years back (yes, I know, but what fun). They were great for an hour, but that's all they do. They are all getting on (I think Dave was 72 at the time). Played all the hits with great gusto and we all had a ball. Because Noddy and Jim wrote all the songs, Dave and Don need to keep treading the boards as they earned nothing from all the success. The stand-ins (who have been with them a good few years now, so well established in the band) were fine, not Noddy, but when its late, you've had a beer and you just want to partay, who cares.

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #203 on: November 08, 2018, 03:16:08 PM »

Saturday afternoon - special guests Slade would be fab, top quality singalong stuff.

DW
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2018, 11:29:43 PM »

Having just listened to him on Lamacq what about Billy Bragg from Barking in Essex, he was stupendous when I saw him (and no one was more surprised than me).

I love him but I believe he is quite a divisive character. Probably would bring in enough punters as a headliner.

I've seen him at smaller festivals than Cropredy and he hasn't headlined. I like him but can't see him selling many tickets. He'd be good down the bill, although his politics make him a bit divisive, especially as he can be contemptuous of those with different opinions.
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2018, 08:58:10 AM »

although his politics make him a bit divisive, especially as he can be contemptuous of those with different opinions.

Cropredy never had anyone like that there does it?

DW
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #206 on: November 09, 2018, 09:37:17 AM »

Not sure about the Thursday night headliner but I wouldn’t mind the Marillion/Fish etc rock slot on Saturday afternoon going to Black Star Riders (Scott Gorham’s band)

Born to Run (but not very fast)
NickNickNick (Nick)
n3wb

Loc: Bristol

« Reply #207 on: November 09, 2018, 09:48:26 AM »

although his politics make him a bit divisive, especially as he can be contemptuous of those with different opinions.

I agree with his politics in many cases but would not want him at the festival. If it's a music act with some good stage presence I'll be happy
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #208 on: November 09, 2018, 10:18:56 AM »

I agree with his politics in many cases but would not want him at the festival. If it's a music act with some good stage presence I'll be happy

Saw him supporting Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott this year and he was quite the engaging presence.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #209 on: November 09, 2018, 10:24:52 AM »

Saw him supporting Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott this year and he was quite the engaging presence.

Still can’t see Mr Bragg as a headliner though

Born to Run (but not very fast)
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #210 on: November 09, 2018, 01:47:42 PM »

He'd be good cor the pre-Fairport unplugged spot

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #211 on: November 09, 2018, 01:51:41 PM »

Not sure about the Thursday night headliner but I wouldn’t mind the Marillion/Fish etc rock slot on Saturday afternoon going to Black Star Riders (Scott Gorham’s band)
Yes! They'd be brilliant

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #212 on: November 09, 2018, 03:10:53 PM »

DW

The stickers this years caused enough dissent, but Billy in full on rant about Brexit................nah, can't see any problem there.  Cool

StephenB
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #213 on: November 09, 2018, 03:33:47 PM »

Put him on with Diggers   Shocked

David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #214 on: November 09, 2018, 04:48:02 PM »

DW

The stickers this years caused enough dissent, but Billy in full on rant about Brexit................nah, can't see any problem there.  Cool

I suggest a power duo Bragance.

DW
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #215 on: November 09, 2018, 06:18:16 PM »

Bragance... But would we end up with a set of Middle of the Road covers? At least they'd be chirpy. And cheap.

Flobbadob!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2018, 11:54:06 PM »

DW

He doesn’t have to mention it all all. Anyway, who knows where we’ll be next August!!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #217 on: November 10, 2018, 12:29:42 AM »

Genesis Visible Touch. I’m not sure they’d pull in the punters, but I’d hate to have to follow them.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #218 on: November 10, 2018, 12:35:49 AM »

DW

He doesn’t have to mention it all all. Anyway, who knows where we’ll be next August!!

Up sh1t creek without a paddle if it carries on as it is.

The Dude abides
StephenB
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #219 on: November 10, 2018, 08:56:18 AM »

" Anyway, who knows where we’ll be next August!! "

Cropredy,  of course   Grin

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print