TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:44:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bar-Steward Sons of Val Doonican  (Read 69462 times)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2018, 10:31:32 AM »

I see Scott has taken to describing TalkAWhile as GrumpAWhile on Facebook, presumably because of the mixed impact the act had on the people here. Thing is, Scott, TAW is not like FaceBook where people seek you out because they like you, the comments here are generated by people who were at Cropredy, from a wide range of musical backgrounds. It's inevitable that some will not be overwhelmed by BSoVD, whilst others will have been.

It's hardly fair on those who have praised BSoVD here to dub TAW "GrumpAWhile" on the basis that some people didn't do so.

Man from a band that does parodies does a parody of the title of an online discussion forum!
There's a shock.  Shocked
......oh and there is a certain amount of grumpiness in these revered annals! Grin
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2018, 12:09:46 PM »

TAW; Certainly weren’t my cup of tea! They came across as a crude cabaret act trying to shoehornn dodgy lyrics into classic tunes. Yes I know that’s their act but did nothing for me.
BSoVD; Grumpawhile!
TAW; Hey! You can’t say that about us!!

Fez  Grin

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2018, 12:10:51 PM »

Oh come on you lot - some of you CAN be pretty grumpy at times. Don't go all huffy and live up to the name!!! He's made up a nickname for us - like I'm called Bridgwit - there's no harm done!  Smiley

I'm pretty sure t'Sons are aware that some people will love them, some will hate them and the rest are in between. And to be honest, if I'd just performed up on the stage at Cropredy to that amazing reaction, then came onto this board to see my band being called "puerile rubbish" (selected at random and I know it was posted after the Grumpawhile revelations)  I'd feel a bit sore about it too. He's only human, despite being the son of Val..... Wink

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO BE GRUMPY!  Angry

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2018, 12:35:42 PM »

I’ve never had a go about other people loving this band. I even liked the odd song (The Zipper). All I’ve said is that they weren’t’t my cup of tea. It’s all just opinions and I just hope people don’t think I’m wrong for not liking all their work...each to their own

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2018, 01:34:13 PM »

I’ve never had a go about other people loving this band. I even liked the odd song (The Zipper). All I’ve said is that they weren’t’t my cup of tea. It’s all just opinions and I just hope people don’t think I’m wrong for not liking all their work...each to their own
Gosh no, opinions on music can't be wrong. They're personal.

My comment was merely to point out that Grumpawhile is quite an apt and fairly humorous moniker for this board sometimes! My husband calls it other names that I won't print here, due to the time I spend on it  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2018, 07:28:16 PM »

I don't think it is good form when artistes belittle or attack those who criticise them. I don't think any comments here regarding the Sons have been terrible, some liked them others didn't simple as. Going elsewhere and making what sounds like a snide comment isn't really necessary is it?

DW
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2018, 07:47:45 PM »

I too am a bit surprised and disappointed.  They were my main surprise like of the festival and i was impressed by the obvious musicianship and professionalism belying their overall anarchic silliness. I was even more impressed when Scott came on here to.personally engage with us. Lovely chap, nice and engaging, and yes I'd certainly have a pint with him.

Then it turns out that the onion skin he talked about having seems to be actually as thin as an onion skin, rather than the  rhinoceros variety required for the game he's in. No big deal really, but for me it brought  him down in my estimation as my mind conjured up similarities with another generally could be well-liked performer whose politics are probably a world apart from those of the Doonicans, but whose incredibly thin skin (as thin as the tissues that get waved when he's around) similarly leads to snide outbursts that endear him to no one. I hope you're better than that, Scott - and I'd still love a pint with you 🙂

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2018, 08:17:22 PM »

Gosh no, opinions on music can't be wrong. They're personal.

My comment was merely to point out that Grumpawhile is quite an apt and fairly humorous moniker for this board sometimes! My husband calls it other names that I won't print here, due to the time I spend on it  Grin

No worries, Bridget Grin mind you, I think Mr S Doonican is being rather churlish

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2018, 09:25:03 PM »

I don't think it is good form when artistes belittle or attack those who criticise them.
DW

So, essentially, we can, bit they can’t?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2018, 09:50:44 PM »

I do believe that artists are suppose to have very thick skins and ignore critical reviews

But actually it's very hard to do that, all criticism is taken quite seriously and personally, so it's not surprising they react sometimes (although one is supposed to be above all that!)

Just my opinion as an artist  Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2018, 10:52:54 PM »

Fair enough, my point was really that a wide range of opinions were expressed on TAW about their performance and to tar everyone with the same brush wasn't particularly fair.

Anyhow, I'll shut up on this subject for now.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2018, 10:56:23 PM »

That is the thing with TAW, it's not a group that people have joined because they support a particular artist, it's a lot more general. So you will get people with differing opinions, likes and dislikes. I know it doesn't make easy reading for some performers, but just take the crunchy with the smooth.

Fairport tend to get told what we don't like and they try to avoid TAW, but they keep winning the top turn vote at Cropredy.

The Bar-Stewards. The sound mix was awful, we couldn't hear the lyrics. However look at the vote and that was a top stunt.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2018, 11:15:52 PM »

That is the thing with TAW, it's not a group that people have joined because they support a particular artist, it's a lot more general. So you will get people with differing opinions, likes and dislikes. I know it doesn't make easy reading for some performers, but just take the crunchy with the smooth

A lot of people hold dear and revere TAW. Some don’t. I know that doesn’t make easy reading, but perhaps we should just take the crunchy with the smooth..?

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2018, 11:22:12 PM »

I've met Scott and he lives near me and he's not a man who would offend anyone  ... full stop.
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2018, 03:03:17 AM »

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO BE GRUMPY!  Angry

Oh, the thoughts that just went through my mind just then!

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2018, 03:15:08 AM »

Apologies for double-posting, but it's also possible that Mr Doonican has read other reviews and opinions on here unconnected with their own turn at Cropredy. He may also have spoken to Richard Digance or Maart, both of whom have felt the grumpy side of TAW from time to time. I have a thick hide, when you grow up with a name like Matt you do tend to need one, but I'd be hurt at some of the comments that appear. Remember - it's nice to be nice, and you can express opinions without resorting to rudeness.  

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »

I didn't see Grumpawhile as a criticism.....just humour.
If you don't want to see negative things about you don't read social media. There will always be one person who didn't like your gig and they will be the ones who post .......and I have no probs with anyone expressing a personal opinion as long as we remember that's what it is.
At a personal level I am just working on my Level 3 Curmudgeon Badge.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2018, 03:18:48 PM »

I used to know the real and legitimate daughter of Val Doonican a little bit many years ago. I can't help wondering what she would make of all this.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2018, 04:17:05 PM »

That is the thing with TAW, it's not a group that people have joined because they support a particular artist, it's a lot more general. So you will get people with differing opinions, likes and dislikes. I know it doesn't make easy reading for some performers, but just take the crunchy with the smooth

A lot of people hold dear and revere TAW. Some don’t. I know that doesn’t make easy reading, but perhaps we should just take the crunchy with the smooth..?

Do point them out one day  Grin

If I was to criticise TAW (which I sometimes do), it's that people don't like criticism of what they like, however constructive and/or jokey it is.  This is just a sign of the times...we reinforce our opinions with those that agree with it, and we shout down everything else.  It's the 2018 way...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
vince42

« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2018, 07:53:46 PM »

I try to remain positive.  If I dislike something I prefer to stay quiet and not promote it - if others like it then they can do that.  If I spent all my time trying to do down every artist who sang or played something I didn't like I'd never have time to drink beer Grin

Could we have a vote to change the forum name to Grumpawhile? It is strangely attractive.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: