TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:49:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brian Wilson  (Read 55022 times)
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 10:57:10 AM »

That sums it up very well. All very sad. If it had been Al Jardine and the band leading a tribute to Brian, it would have been a wonderful evening. Al J’s son has a great voice - Don’t Worry Baby was a real highlight. I have always admired the work of the musical director, how he recreates the sound and works round Brian. He did that beautifully back when Brian first reappeared but it is no longer possible.

We all have opinions on artists from the past continuing to tour and levels of success. This is not a question of can they still cut it though. More one of abuse of someone who can’t make their own decisions.

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 11:44:48 AM »

With Brian, 'he' has just become a money making machine.  He hasn't been 'all there' since the 60's.  He's a man-child.  And he's being used.  Is that ok?  I think we all know the answer to that, really...

Not just a man-child either, but someone with severe mental health problems.  I applaud that he's encouraged to make music as therapy and to make a living, but the performance side of things appears to do him not good whatsoever.  So no, it's not OK.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 12:09:16 PM »

If I were Brian Wilson’s lawyers I’d be watching this thread with interest.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 12:26:42 PM »

It's no worse than the discussion over on the Smiley Smile Beach Boys forum :

smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25544.725.html

Example quote : "The problem is that this has been going on for now almost literally 20 years. Yes, as has been said in the past, Brian has some bad nights and at times his shows over the years did veer into 'Weekend at Bernie's' territory.' "

I've seen Brian Wilson three times (2004, 2007, 2009), each time IMHO to diminishing returns, and have pretty much ticked him off my "must go and see again" list.
His band is phenomenal, but he hasn't got better since I last saw him 9 years ago.

For that reason, his presence on the bill was not enough of a draw for me to consider Cropredy essential this year.

YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2018, 12:53:00 PM »

Here's a photo:

* crop18_002.jpg (225.95 KB, 1148x797 - viewed 1369 times.)

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
richardkendell

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 01:05:17 PM »

I was told he has just had a back operation and can't really feel his feet. Can't help with the piano pedals.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »

I heard his interview with radio Oxford. The lights are on but nobody is home.

The Dude abides
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2018, 01:43:52 PM »

Loved it. Best set of the weekend. Wish it had been longer.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2018, 01:47:34 PM »

OK I get all the sadness about Brian’s condition and I understand why some people are comparing Brian today with Brian/Beach Boys of yesteryear....but, I thoroughly enjoyed the set. I’ve never seen either Brian Wilson or the Beach Boys before so I can”t compare but Al Jardine and his son’s singing and the quality of the band and the songs made it a great headliner IMHO. Thought the finale was extra special.

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2018, 01:54:45 PM »

OK I get all the sadness about Brian’s condition and I understand why some people are comparing Brian today with Brian/Beach Boys of yesteryear....but, I thoroughly enjoyed the set. I’ve never seen either Brian Wilson or the Beach Boys before so I can”t compare but Al Jardine and his son’s singing and the quality of the band and the songs made it a great headliner IMHO. Thought the finale was extra special.

You mean finishing Good Vibes after the curfew and then just kicking on with all those classics? Has there been a better more enjoyable 20 minutes music at Cropredy I wonder? I don't think I've ever applauded anything so much in my life as I did at the end.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2018, 02:08:52 PM »

You mean finishing Good Vibes after the curfew and then just kicking on with all those classics? Has there been a better more enjoyable 20 minutes music at Cropredy I wonder? I don't think I've ever applauded anything so much in my life as I did at the end.

Exactly...that was a great finale and sent me away with a big smiley smile on my face  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2018, 03:32:44 PM »

We all loved it . Sure he's knackered but what a fabulous band . As stand alone entertainment it was superb. Levellers take note.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2018, 10:26:59 PM »

A privilege and a treat to see the Great Brian Wilson on stage whilst his work was delivered to us by a magnificent set of musicians.

More remarkable than Brian's lack of a voice was Al Jardines possession of a fine one, two weeks ahead of his 76th birthday.

When I posted that they would play 34 numbers over two and a half hours I was rubbished by some, I am glad my source who was a technician on the tour proved correct.

Stop the negatives,

You saw Brian Wilson and Al Jardine play just about every hit they ever had on a cold night in a field in Oxfordshire.

Here's one person who's apre gig thought was ,"Isn't life wonderful".
Tom64

Loc: Munich

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2018, 10:42:21 PM »

I enjoyed it enormously. ( well the guitar solos of one ex member could have been a bit shorter... )

None of us knows what the world Brian Wilson is living in is like. None of us knows if It would be better for him to sit in his armchair in his home. Maybe he does at some moments realise he is travelling all over the world and everywhere he is people love his music. Maybe he likes that.

And I do remember a Pink Floyd cover band as headliner a couple of years ago. This was much better I think.

Also I really think it is better Brian Wilson gets the money for the gig than Mike Love Wink

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 01:24:42 AM »

Any chance his promoters could be as vigilant?  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2018, 06:43:06 AM »

*snigger*  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2018, 08:12:45 AM »

As far as I can see everybody has just expressed an option, which is allowed and held back on anything accusational, which isn't.

If you see anything that you think goes too far, there is the report to moderator button.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2018, 09:16:12 AM »

Interestingly I note that it was billed as “Brian Wilson Presents Pet sounds” rather than “Performs”.
To me that suggests that he could have just come on stage and announced it or indeed could have just appeared on the big screen by way of a pre recorded video and would still have fulfilled his commitment.
Personally I was very happy to have had the chance to see him and thought the set was absolutely glorious.
Judging by the grins on the faces around me, so did a lot of other people.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2018, 11:20:15 AM »

If you see anything that you think goes too far, there is the report to moderator button.

Coolio. Remind me to pop “Man-child with severe mental health problems” into my “It’s nice to be nice” locker for future usage.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2018, 02:33:48 PM »

The last twenty minutes were brilliant
Very very good ending to the set.
Wouldn’t want to see them again but was glad I was present for that twenty minutes,it will last long in the memory.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: