TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:09:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 803577 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1360 on: January 20, 2020, 10:40:00 PM »

I am cursed with a love of melody and an intolerance of noodling.
I'm partial to a bit of noodling a la Clapton, who claims he never plays any tune the same way twice, but I like melody too. I listen to a fair bit of classical music and, thankfully, you rarely get noodling in that!

Really?  Clapton's been playing the same solos for decades!
Not according to him! I either read it or saw it in a documentary on guitarists, Mark Knopfler on the other hand says he sees his job is to exactly recreate each tune!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1361 on: January 23, 2020, 02:31:59 PM »

Heather Findlay at the Robin last night.
It's a bit of a tradition to go to the Robin on my birthday and Heather was on this year.
I don't know her solo stuff, and I don't really know much Mostly Autumn material...I only saw her with them the once..in about 2006, or so.
It was great.
Less folky/proggy than MA..more country rock of all things, but not exactly...
Caught In A Fold..one she wrote for MA, was brilliant. She gave it some welly...or knee high velvet boot...much more so than the version from Glasgow earlier in the tour on YouTube. There's something about rocking out on an acoustic guitar that appeals to me, and this tune did it good.
Most of the material was from her new Wild White Horses CD, which is worth a punt, after payday tomorrow.
Instead, I nicked her set list and got her to sign it for me.
Good start to the new year, gig wise.  Smiley

Well I never did..
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1362 on: January 23, 2020, 03:54:34 PM »

It's a bit of a tradition to go to the Robin on my birthday and Heather was on this year.
I don't know her solo stuff, and I don't really know much Mostly Autumn material...I only saw her with them the once..in about 2006, or so.
It was great.
Caught In A Fold..one she wrote for MA, was brilliant. She gave it some welly...or knee high velvet boot...much more so than the version from Glasgow earlier in the tour on YouTube. There's something about rocking out on an acoustic guitar that appeals to me, and this tune did it good.
Most of the material was from her new Wild White Horses CD, which is worth a punt, after payday tomorrow.

Two of Heather's other projects, Odin's Dragonfly and Mantra Vega are well worth a listen. The former is, I suppose, new age/folky in style (bit like Loreena McKennitt) and the latter is melodic prog. Great songs abound on both!
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1363 on: January 23, 2020, 04:18:54 PM »

It was great.

Two of Heather's other projects, Odin's Dragonfly and Mantra Vega are well worth a listen. The former is, I suppose, new age/folky in style (bit like Loreena McKennitt) and the latter is melodic prog. Great songs abound on both!

I've been meaning to check out Odin's Butterfly..that's with Angela, isn't it ? I liked her in MA.

Well I never did..
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1364 on: January 23, 2020, 04:38:16 PM »

It was great.

I've been meaning to check out Odin's Butterfly..that's with Angela, isn't it ? I liked her in MA.

That's right.

It's a very different sound to Mostly Autumn. Takes MA's gentler side and makes it more gentle again but their album is one of those that impels me to listen from beginning to end, Just lovely.

Heard rumours that they might be resurrecting the project. Love to see them live if they played a few dates.
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #1365 on: January 28, 2020, 06:22:32 PM »

A very pleasant evening with Winter Wilson at Twickfolk.  I expect I am one of the last people on here to catch this duo, as they supported Fairport some time ago.  They were plugging their new live cd, which features FC on a couple of tracks.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1366 on: February 02, 2020, 09:07:36 PM »

Julian David Cope in Southampton yesterday was great.  He's ageing.  I mean, I saw him five years ago, but he's aged a lot since then (as have we all), but he still gives good live gig.  Great selection of songs (only 3, or was it 2 off the newbie, and 3, or was it 4 Teardrops classics), almost all solo (one accompanied) with some recorded backing to accompany.  Loads of stupid and hilarious monologues as you'd expect.  There was just a touch too much 'aren't drink and drugs just ****ing wonderful' ness about some of that, but, hey, you know what you're getting with Julian.  He was complaining bitterly about his arthritic (?) left hand (which does make you wonder after only two dates) but otherwise was in very fine fettle.  A solid 8/10, but I'll love Copey for ever and a day.  He's earned the right to do whatever he likes.  The Engine Rooms is just a space on an industrial estate, but it was a decent little venue.

Bizarrely inappropriate support by the way.  Tom Hickox?  I thought he was like David Gray crossed with Ed Sheeren although some of the reviews I've glanced at describe him in very different terms.  Bloody awful for me, I thought, but, hey, what do I know...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1367 on: February 02, 2020, 11:14:25 PM »

Julian David Cope in Southampton yesterday was great.  He's ageing.  I mean, I saw him five years ago, but he's aged a lot since then (as have we all), but he still gives good live gig.  Great selection of songs (only 3, or was it 2 off the newbie, and 3, or was it 4 Teardrops classics), almost all solo (one accompanied) with some recorded backing to accompany.  Loads of stupid and hilarious monologues as you'd expect.  There was just a touch too much 'aren't drink and drugs just ****ing wonderful' ness about some of that, but, hey, you know what you're getting with Julian.  He was complaining bitterly about his arthritic (?) left hand (which does make you wonder after only two dates) but otherwise was in very fine fettle.  A solid 8/10, but I'll love Copey for ever and a day.  He's earned the right to do whatever he likes.  The Engine Rooms is just a space on an industrial estate, but it was a decent little venue.

Bizarrely inappropriate support by the way.  Tom Hickox?  I thought he was like David Gray crossed with Ed Sheeren although some of the reviews I've glanced at describe him in very different terms.  Bloody awful for me, I thought, but, hey, what do I know...
He’s from just up the road from here! Barking mad but unique and wonderful Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1368 on: February 02, 2020, 11:38:52 PM »

The wonderful Fairport at The Sage, Gateshead. As good as I have ever heard them,since first doing so in 1997. I loved hearing the Full House stuff which was my first intro to Fairport really, before I saw them. (Ric’s new jokes were fun).

Smith and Brewer were excellent, too...as well as marvellous harmonies and great guitar, the Smith guy was so expressive of face and body.

(Before going in,  I saw a chap I recognised from photos on here, but couldn’t place him...not sure if TAWer or musician. Long hair. )
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1369 on: February 04, 2020, 12:06:35 AM »

(Before going in,  I saw a chap I recognised from photos on here, but couldn’t place him...not sure if TAWer or musician. Long hair. )

That'll narrow it down, then.   Wink

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1370 on: February 05, 2020, 07:01:33 PM »

That'll narrow it down, then.   Wink

Jules

He may have had a slight beard, too! There, got it yet?

I really enjoyed the Shuffle and Go stuff in the set, too...especially the one about the Morris dancing teddy-boys. Oh yes...Shuffle and Go, wasn’t it  Smiley
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #1371 on: February 05, 2020, 07:08:36 PM »

The chaps were excellent in Peterborough last night.
Smith and Brewer are fun.....love Ben Smith’s obvious enjoyment in the music.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1372 on: February 07, 2020, 12:42:38 AM »

Girlschool at the Robin \m/  Smiley  \m/.

I was in what is now MY place...by the monitor wedge just to stage left....I've got ringing in my ears for the first time since I saw them last, supporting Motorhead with the Damned, 11 years ago.

Marvelous.

Well I never did..
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1373 on: February 07, 2020, 06:36:26 PM »

A great night of boogie and blues from Kim Simmonds, a/k/a Savoy Brown, last night in Austin.

Kim sounded like he had a bit of a cold, but his voice held out all night and he plays with the energy of a hungry young guitar slinger. I'm very glad I made the time for this show. It also made me wish I had seen him with the future Foghat guys back in the day; that must have been something to behold.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1374 on: February 07, 2020, 08:50:12 PM »

Yep, Foghat were great. Saw them supporting Captain Beefheart in Liverpool. What a night that was. Fast and indeed bulbous.

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1375 on: February 07, 2020, 09:22:22 PM »

Yep, Foghat were great. Saw them supporting Captain Beefheart in Liverpool. What a night that was. Fast and indeed bulbous.

You lucky thing.  3 Apr 72?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1376 on: February 08, 2020, 07:26:06 AM »

Something like that, yep. The old boxing Stadium. I saw the Capt again, during the Doc at the Radar Station period at what used to be the Top Rank Suite in the St John's Centre. I believe Bowie/Ziggy played that venue some years earlier.

Flobbadob!
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1377 on: February 08, 2020, 09:40:07 AM »

Toyah last night in Holborn. She did a largely acoustic set but instead of just two acoustic guitarists as billed, she had one guitarist, drums and a keyboard/piano player with her. The venue was very small and I sat right next to the stage. She was utterly amazing; played all the hits and more; looked stunning; with fantastic vocals and a lovely personality. Would go to see her again in a flash!   Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1378 on: February 09, 2020, 11:23:07 PM »

Beth Hart at Birmingham Symphony Hall.

I almost didn't go....it's not the Kung Flu, but thanks to my boss who brought his germs to work and infected nearly everybody, I was feeling hot and feverish and Rudolph nosed, and didn't relish the idea of battling through the wind and rain, but I did and wow!

From the moment she took the stage, she commanded attention with the opening number, sat on the stage and then went walkabout in the audience for the second, then returned to the stage and sat on a stool to sing the third and reduced the cavernous hall to an intimate club gig.

Passionate, personal songs, sung with electric and acoustic bands, and solo with piano or acoustic guitar...all the while singing deep from the gut.

Also, sparkly red baggy pants.

Excellent, excellent gig.

Well I never did..
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1379 on: February 10, 2020, 05:25:22 PM »

An Intimate Evening with Sarah McLachlan, Saturday at the Bass Concert Hall in Austin.

Sarah performed on piano, guitar and ukelele (which she described as her first instrument) accompanied by a cellist/guitarist/singer named Vanessa Freebairn-Smith. Sarah is a warm and engaging performer, and she commanded the cavernous concert hall with comfort and ease. Her between-song patter can be as entertaining as the songs themselves. Highly recommend if she comes to your neck of the woods.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: