TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2019, 04:13:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Recent" folk-rock bands  (Read 537 times)
Phil Perry

Loc: Hertfordshire

« on: April 17, 2019, 05:01:13 PM »

I thought it might be a nice idea to have a thread about folk-rock bands that have emerged in this decade playing largely traditional material. There are (at least) three angles to this. 1) It would be good to build up a list, which I'll start off with Blackbeard's Tea Party, False Lights, Sam Kelly & the Lost Boys and the Joshua Burnell Band. 2) Which of these, in the view of TalkAwhilers have the most merit? 3) Is this the best era we've had since the great days of the late 60s / early 70s ?
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 06:21:13 PM »

I think even defining what folk rock is anymore is dificult, there are so many sub genres. I love the folk metal scene and the pysch folk bands. There are many excellent new bands playing both, of course with even more prog folk bands now appearing.

This is one of my favourite local bands, The Whiskey Rebellion (see link below), but is this folk rock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aocSUYdmJeE

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....

http://www.fortytenthpromotions.co.uk/
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 07:47:22 PM »

I think even defining what folk rock is anymore is dificult, there are so many sub genres. I love the folk metal scene and the pysch folk bands. There are many excellent new bands playing both, of course with even more prog folk bands now appearing.

This is one of my favourite local bands, The Whiskey Rebellion (see link below), but is this folk rock?

Prog Folk sounds like the ultimate tautology😂
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 07:51:18 PM »

Completely depends on the definition of Folk and WE WILL NOT.....go there😱😱😱😱
Balkan I Folk influences but then you could argue that trad Irish now has Balkan influences ever since Andy Irvine and Donal Lenny introduced Bulgarian Bozoukis in to Irish music.......
.and so it goes on...day after day.......slime in this ear......slime in the other ear...l
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 09:26:10 PM »

Balkan I Folk influences but then you could argue that trad Irish now has Balkan influences ever since Andy Irvine and Donal Lenny introduced Bulgarian Bozoukis in to Irish music.......
.and so it goes on...day after day.......slime in this ear......slime in the other ear...l

Except Andy Irvine typically played the mandolin in group settings. It was Johnny Moynihan who is largely credited as bringing the bouzouki in and not Donal Lunny.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 09:28:54 PM »

My favorite "folk-rock" bands of recent vintage are roots-oriented performers who mix original and traditional music, usually leaning more heavily on originals.

Not incredibly recent, but Los Lobos and Glen Hansard fit this description, albeit coming from different folk traditions.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 07:09:20 AM »

Except Andy Irvine typically played the mandolin in group settings. It was Johnny Moynihan who is largely credited as bringing the bouzouki in and not Donal Lunny.

It is one of those urban myths we will never unravel. Irvine always says he was the first to bring a Bozouki back......
I play in aband and !on some songs, ian plays an Irish Bozouki, i.e the tuning is different to a Balkans Bozouki. Bob occasionally plays a guitar Bozouki......8 strings and a different beast all together....
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 07:31:27 AM »

....and current folk rock bands I am fond of...
Blackbeardís Tea Party
The Willows
Phantom Voices
Jon Palmer Acoustic Band
StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 08:41:27 AM »

Yes it was Johnny Moynihan who brought the bouzouki back but it was undoubtedly Donal Lunny who popularised it . It was the soud of this intertwined with Andy Irvine's mandolin that really heralded a crisp new rhyhmic sound that was to transform the sound of Irish (and possibly British)
trad music for ever. Still not folk rock, but IMO equally if not more significant at the time. I think Irvine's Balkan influences are a sideline to this (al IMHO of course).

Re folk rock today, let's not forget Trad Arrr...

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 09:01:09 AM »

Re folk rock today, let's not forget Trad Arrr...

Or the mighty Bellowhead (yes they are no more but they were playing in this decade and have been an influence to many)
or Merry Hell
or Skerryvore
or Katzenjammer
or.................

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 09:56:17 AM »

It is one of those urban myths we will never unravel. Irvine always says he was the first to bring a Bozouki back......
I play in aband and !on some songs, ian plays an Irish Bozouki, i.e the tuning is different to a Balkans Bozouki. Bob occasionally plays a guitar Bozouki......8 strings and a different beast all together....

My favourite urban myth is that the bouzouki became popularised when low-cost, no frills airlines started flying to mediterranean island holiday destinations. Hence the folk-rock tetrachord is overwhelmingly due to the business canny of Freddie Laker.  Grin

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 11:47:16 AM »

Blackbeard's, False Lights, TradArrr and Sam Kelly & the Lost Boys are all favourites with me.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 02:53:44 PM »

I like Mad Dog McRea a lot, live they are fantastic.
I'm not sure when these bands formed but I like Skippinish, and Skerryvore, and Galleon Blast are good and very funny.
And the late Leatherat of course, who were spiffing.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 06:54:42 PM »

I saw Green Diesel last year, they were excellent.
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 07:04:52 PM »

Niteworks, the Rails, Altar Native...

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 11:00:34 PM »

False Lights, offa Rex and a rejuvenated Steeleye Span are some of the best recent folk rock bands, Eliza Carthys wayward band all remind me how great folk rock can be. Yes there are often nods to the great bands of the sixties and seventies, but with music Harking back to before any of us can remember it's part of what makes it great

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 12:08:39 AM »

Don't forget the Decemberists
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 02:13:01 AM »

Don't forget the Decemberists
Indeed. A brilliant band.

See What I did Summer 2018  for a selection of my photos.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 11:20:11 AM »

I was going to mention The Decemberists but was worried that I might be laughed at for suggesting that they were still "recent".

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
mightyglydd

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 03:35:14 PM »

Of Monsters and Men
@The Decemberists +3
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:48:01 PM by mightyglydd » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: