TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 28, 2022, 04:19:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 540911 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1660 on: Yesterday at 03:11:18 PM »

Don McLean, Paramount Theater, 50th Anniversary of American Pie tour, last night!

Great show. His voice actually improved as the show went on, culminating in a spotless rendition of Roy Orbison's "Crying" (which McLean took to the global charts in 1981), followed by the inevitable "American Pie." In between he played a broad selection of originals and covers, telling stories in between, with a crack band of veteran session players. Other highlights included "Castles in the Sand," "Vincent," "And I Love You So," a medley of "Tulsa Time/Deep in the Heart of Texas" and a stately version of "El Paso" (Marty Robbins cover).

Cross another one off my bucket list.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1661 on: Yesterday at 03:52:28 PM »

Don McLean, Paramount Theater, 50th Anniversary of American Pie tour, last night!

Great show. His voice actually improved as the show went on, culminating in a spotless rendition of Roy Orbison's "Crying" (which McLean took to the global charts in 1981), followed by the inevitable "American Pie." In between he played a broad selection of originals and covers, telling stories in between, with a crack band of veteran session players. Other highlights included "Castles in the Sand," "Vincent," "And I Love You So," a medley of "Tulsa Time/Deep in the Heart of Texas" and a stately version of "El Paso" (Marty Robbins cover).

He's great, isn't he? DM for Croppers, please!

“Will everything be all right in the end?”

"Yes, if it’s not all right, it’s not the end.”
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1662 on: Yesterday at 08:58:45 PM »

He's great, isn't he? DM for Croppers, please!

When Don McLean played the Moseley Festival three years ago, the organisers booked variety performer Don Maclean to come on ahead of him and pretend that it was actually him that was performing. Then the American Don came on stage and for a while both Dons shared the stage. It was utterly inspired.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1663 on: Today at 08:21:17 AM »

When Don McLean played the Moseley Festival three years ago, the organisers booked variety performer Don Maclean to come on ahead of him and pretend that it was actually him that was performing. Then the American Don came on stage and for a while both Dons shared the stage. It was utterly inspired.

Jules

Ha ha ha.  Class.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: