TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 21, 2021, 02:37:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for vinyl junkies  (Read 347 times)
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« on: April 12, 2021, 05:50:39 PM »

Here's (I hope) an interesting one. Just played my copy of Gerry Rafferty - Night Owl (featuring Richard & Linda Thompson, John Kirkpatrick etc etc) for the first time in years. It's a reissue on EMI's "Fame" label. On looking closely I noticed that the Fame label had actually been carefully pasted over the United Artists one, because you can see the UA logo peering through the paper. So it does seem to be an "original pressing" - but in disguise! It also has the inner sleeve and I would imagine that the Fame issues, being budget, did not have them. Anyone ever come across this sort of thing before? It seems that labels did not just flog the rights to a particular recording, but they even included actual unsold copies in the deal !
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 08:10:34 AM »

I've come across it in books before - I've got a copy of The Old Straight Track which is a first pressing with two stickers over the publishing and price details added 30 years later! - but not with vinyl.  Sounds like you're spot on though.  Fascinating.  ps have you checked out discogs?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Brian Green

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 10:16:47 AM »

Very interesting point.
The matrix number which is etched into the dead wax of the records run out groove can be useful when identifying pressings.
My original Night Owl has UAK 30238 A-2U
I don't have much to verify this apart from Alan Parsons Project Eve on the Fame label.
In this case the matrix number is SPART 1100 3-1-1-2.
This would seem to tie in with the original Arista release from 1979.
For a budget label the presentation is very good with a thick gatefold sleeve and weighty vinyl.
Interestingly looking at reviews of the Fame label in the Discogs website a mention is made of a Whitesnake album with the Fame label stuck over the original.
Hope this is useful !
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 09:12:33 AM »

Many thanks both of you. The record label and cover both state FA 4131471, whereas the inner sleeve states UAK 30238. The pasted-over label confirms that this is an original pressing / budget hybrid and not just the result of a muddle at the record shop. Brian's discovery of the Whitesnake LP on Discogs confirms that such hybrids exist, even though there is no mention of a Night Owl one. And so, gentlemen, after rigorous scientific investigation we can confirm that the presence of such original pressings "in disguise" means that elements of TalkAwhilers' record collections could be worth considerably more than first thought ... possibly.  
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 09:16:28 AM »

Sorry, I should have added that the run-out groove also states UAK 30238  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: